List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see anything?

It basically said they might lose Taranto or to keep Taranto may need to lose Hopper to afford him. Either would be a good pick up for us at the coal face. Hoppers an RFA next year.

It basically said they might lose Taranto or to keep Taranto may need to lose Hopper to afford him. Either would be a good pick up for us at the coal face. Hoppers an RFA next year.
I'd have either.

Hopper is a class inside mid. I’d be patient and put together a good offer for him

Hopper would be a great target. A guy you'd expect to be a 25 disposal, 4-6 clearance, 4 tackle mid is exactly what we need. This year or next with free agency I'd be happy.

Also we got a good luck at Logue yesterday. Had a good couple of one on one wins early but I don’t recall seeing him much after the half. Ended with 13 touches. Very keen if he’s available

Logue had a couple of howlers yesterday when he decided he was a running half back. The goals after that turnover killed any momentum Freo had. He did some good things defensively though. He's a freakin' tank at over 100kg. I really like him as a trade target.

Hopper would be a great target. A guy you'd expect to be a 25 disposal, 4-6 clearance, 4 tackle mid is exactly what we need. This year or next wiyh free agency I'd be happy.
He’d be our best first possession midfielder by a long, long way and would go a long way to preserving Adams for a longer career. Hopper has always been an impressive user of the ball compared to other inside midfielders too in my opinion, purely on the eye test.

To be honest if he became available this year I’d hope the club just pays up for him. I think he’d field a number of offers next season, especially from the likes of Geelong and Richmond.

My favourite trade targets discussed so far:

Key Back: Griffin Logue, Jack Payne
General Defender: Tom Highmore
Midfielder: Jacob Hopper
Key Forwards: ...Hit the draft...

My favourite trade targets discussed so far:

Key Back: Griffin Logue, Jack Payne
General Defender: Tom Highmore
Midfielder: Jacob Hopper
Key Forwards: ...Hit the draft...

I could happily agree with those targets, particularly Highmore.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My initial thought was forward ruck. I’ll admit my mind will need to change if Cameron keeps putting games together like yesterday.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've liked what I've seen of Amartey. A really agile tall. I haven't seen enough of him, but with what I have I find it hard to pick a best position. I think you're right though.

I'd like someone who can hold down key forward in their own right, and maybe pinch hit in the ruck even if they're not great there. Finding that is easier said than done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’d be our best first possession midfielder by a long, long way and would go a long way to preserving Adams for a longer career. Hopper has always been an impressive user of the ball compared to other inside midfielders too in my opinion, purely on the eye test.

To be honest if he became available this year I’d hope the club just pays up for him. I think he’d field a number of offers next season, especially from the likes of Geelong and Richmond.
The problem is we really don't have anything we'd want to trade.

Hypothetically, what would we need to give up to achieve all of this.

Highmore a pick in the 40s and Payne less

Unlikely lions will trade their 2023 1st for a suite of pies picks in the 40s…

So I’m hoping we use those 40s picks to target underplayed mature age talent in the way we did Lipinski and Krueger

Don’t need too many more 18 years olds on the list imo

Hypothetically, what would we need to give up to achieve all of this.

It's hard to say. I think you'd only need one of Payne or Logue. Hopper is the cost of a contract offer next year as a 2023 RFA. Highmore wouldn't be much I agree.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you trade Grundy for hopper and stone. Cameron has shown he should be number 1 ruck
Cameron, as good as he was around the ground yesterday, still got belted in the hitouts and Darcy won 11 clearances to Cameron’s 2. Can’t fault Cameron’s effort against a stronger opponent, but yesterday was more exception than rule. He’ll never be a #1 ruck but he’s a serviceable back-up and key forward.

Wouldn't you trade Grundy for hopper and stone. Cameron has shown he should be number 1 ruck

Hopper is an RFA next year. Stone is a developing medium forward, an area we're not in great need of. Grundy is a key part of our spine. Cameron is not a permanent main banana. That deal doesn't make a lot of sense for us.

Cameron, as good as he was around the ground yesterday, still got belted in the hitouts and Darcy won 11 clearances to Cameron’s 2. Can’t fault Cameron’s effort against a stronger opponent, but yesterday was more exception than rule. He’ll never be a #1 ruck but he’s a serviceable back-up and key forward.
The same Cameron that outplayed nicnat in a final, he is a clear ruckman, the pies will get cap relief from getting rid of Grundy and bulk up their midfield with hopper and I'd try stone or Bruhn to add more to the midfield fwd half.

Other clubs will circle Cameron if he goes back behind Grundy and you won't get much in return.

You trade Grundy you have
Adelaide
Giants
North
WCE
Cats

As immediate trade targets, what do you need another polished midfielder, 22-26 years of age to complement your list age, I think that takes out the crows, west coast and cats.

So you've got north or giants both stacked with good young mids and you get salary relief, I think it's a no brainer

The same Cameron that outplayed nicnat in a final, he is a clear ruckman, the pies will get cap relief from getting rid of Grundy and bulk up their midfield with hopper and I'd try stone or Bruhn to add more to the midfield fwd half.

Other clubs will circle Cameron if he goes back behind Grundy and you won't get much in return.

Adelaide
Giants
North
WCE
Cats

As immediate trade targets, what do you need another polished midfielder, 22-26 years of age to complement your list age, I think that takes out the crows, west coast and cats.

So you've got north or giants both stacked with good young mids and you get salary relief, I think it's a no brainer

Its not that simple.
I highly doubt the giants could take on grundys salary.

Other clubs that you mentioned probably wont want to take that salary on.

Also grundy would need to agree to said trade

It's hard to say. I think you'd only need one of Payne or Logue. Hopper is the cost of a contract offer next year as a 2023 RFA. Highmore wouldn't be much I agree.
The impression that I got from that article is that Hoppers contract is up. Pretty unlikely that he signs a one year contract to go as a free agent next year. It'd be now or never.

Yesterday was the first time I'd seen Logue. He looked goof. I didn't pay attention to where and why they fell down but for that group to have coughed up a fair few hot spot marks to our medium forwards in the wet wasn't a good effort.

Adelaide
Giants
North
WCE
Cats

Sorry mate you’re remembering wrong or you’ve rewritten history. Nic Naitanui was literally BOG in that final. Both coaches gave him 5 votes for the Gary Ayres award.

Cameron has struggled notoriously as a #1 ruck. He’s doing well to fill the gap right now, but I don’t think you know how taxing it is to play as a full time ruck week after week after week. Cameron does not have the tank to make it. His current split role is what he’ll always be.

Grundy is not playing to his contract, but there’s no serious benefit to trading him. We will have to pay him to play elsewhere (on top of already paying Treloar to do that) and we won’t have clubs offering gun midfielders to facilitate the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back