Free Agency Dan McStay [Joins Collingwood as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

But would your club be prepared to present a significantly more lucrative deal than the Lions can offer? Like 5 or 6 years at 700K? He has always stated he wants to remain in Brisbane for the duration of his career, he is best 22 in a team contending for the premiership for a number of years to come (likely), and by all accounts has a fairly reasonable offer on the table to stay. Add in that he has always been 2nd or 3rd banana and is a rather quiet and humble type of a guy. I would be very surprised if he did go tbh. I doubt he wants to move or deal with the pressure of being a high profile recruit.
We've shown in the past we're happy to pay up for a player we've indentified to fill a need. Won't be a lot of pressure on him with us either because Lynch will always get the best defender.

Defintley I refuse to believe any Vic is stupid/irresponsible enough to offer him a 6 year deal. This is clearly a propaganda story leaked by McStay's management in order to wring out a better deal and contract from the Lions.

Most well run/destination clubs keep their cards and intentions close to their chest and not announce their intentions prematurely.
Unless your dad is President.

Lock it in.

Pies for a 4 year deal.
Apparently we have moved up our offer to 5 years. Not sure the coin would be better.

It's gonna be a massive loss to us if he leaves. But I think this season when Joe gets fit again Fort will make way for him. Then next season fort will take Mcstays spot. Not like for like. Not even a bit. Unless we can pick up a Taylor walker type.

I like him but surely won't leave if Lions are offering 5 years? Unless he wants to come home. Still, I wouldn't be offering him 5 years. Reckon Jack goes around again anyway so not sure there's a spot for him @ Richmond.

Is he even that good, 1.3 goals a game this year playing in the most attacking team in the comp is pretty meh? Havent really watched Lions so just going off the stats
He's good as a third forward taking the third best defender, usually behind Daniher and Hipwood. However, he doesn't look like he could be the focal point of an attack, which is why the five-year deals being offered surprise me. May struggle if he goes to Collingwood and takes the best defender every week.

Dogs, Dees, Pies and and Freo all interested including one $600k, 5 year deal according for fox :oops:
Curious that the Dees would add another key forward.
There's the Ben Brown, Weideman, McDonald... then Mitch Brown and Van Rooyen... to say nothing of Luke Jackson.

Are they expecting to lose one or two at the end of the year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curious that the Dees would add another key forward.
There's the Ben Brown, Weideman, McDonald... then Mitch Brown and Van Rooyen... to say nothing of Luke Jackson.

Are they expecting to lose one or two at the end of the year?
BB is struggling badly, Weideman is shocking, TMac had dropped off massively this season even before the injures, Mitch Brown journeyman battler about to turn 32. They should be pumping games into JVR now.

Not sure McStay is the answer for them, they need a real focal point not a 3rd tall.

BB is struggling badly, Weideman is shocking, TMac had dropped off massively this season even before the injures, Mitch Brown journeyman battler about to turn 32. They should be pumping games into JVR now.

Not sure McStay is the answer for them, they need a real focal point not a 3rd tall.
You're not wrong. I guess I was just reflecting on how much of their list is made up of key forwards and none of them other than Mitch Brown are OOC this year, unless you count Jackson as a key forward.

Dogs, Dees, Pies and and Freo all interested including one $600k, 5 year deal according for fox :oops:
I see one team in those 4 that is an outlier:
- Dees (in flag contention)
- Bris (in flag contention)
- Freo (almost in flag contention)
- WBD (in flag contention)

- Coll (rebuilding) We need key talls of his quality but I just don't see him as a good fit given his age.

I see one team in those 4 that is an outlier:
- Dees (in flag contention)
- Bris (in flag contention)
- Freo (almost in flag contention)
- WBD (in flag contention)

- Coll (rebuilding) We need key talls of his quality but I just don't see him as a good fit given his age.
Collingwood could front end his pay and free up the cap for later. He'll be a good investment approach and very durable. I can see why Pies are interested.

Honestly would be crazy to leave Brisbane as they are right in their premiership window. He has a very tough decision to make. I think he’s a serviceable to decent KPF who will improve a team, but he’s not worth the money and years being mentioned here. However how many mid 20s key forward entering the prime of his career are there available through free agency?

Honestly would be crazy to leave Brisbane as they are right in their premiership window. He has a very tough decision to make. I think he’s a serviceable to decent KPF who will improve a team, but he’s not worth the money and years being mentioned here. However how many mid 20s key forward entering the prime of his career are there available through free agency?
The Lions have been up there for a while though they we're top 4 when we were winning Premierships history says you only have a few chances with a group before it's a missed opportunity.

If they don't win it this year I think that's it with this group.

The Lions have been up there for a while though they we're top 4 when we were winning Premierships history says you only have a few chances with a group before it's a missed opportunity.

If they don't win it this year I think that's it with this group.

Look at the age of their team. Easily up there next year too. They have missed a KPF with season long injuries 2 years in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back