Roast Dear Customers (The I’ve lost my faith in KT thread)

Start the clean out?

• Sack him

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • SACK HIM!!!

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Jack Watts is more Port Adelaide than you

Votes: 26 78.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t minded KT but his media appearances this year have lacked conviction, and this weeks Members Letter was plain embarrassing. Reads like its intended audience is bunch of auskickers and Johnny come lately supporters. It looks like he knows things aren’t great but is putting up a brave face, albiet very badly.

It's the philosophy that

"Stability equals success"

That is killing us IMO, and lead to an acceptance of mediocrity.

KT, Kochie and the board bought into that philosophy when they prematurely extended Ken. They live that every day in their decisions, and I personally believe that they turn a blind eye to the noise of discontent which has grown to astonishing levels in the outer, and they just expect it will just go away.

The whole problem with this philosophy is that it assumes you have the right people in charge in the first place, and I don't know about you, but how many years of mediocrity do we need to suffer at the hands of Ken before we realise he is a good coach but not a great coach, and not the coach we need.

Our list needed the revitalization of a new coach years ago, instead we started a rebuild of the entire list to give Ken another crack at climbing the mountain again. This is where our board has failed.

This club is in deep strife. The supporters are so disenfranchised it is unbelievable. I'm an absolute die hard and I have not enjoyed any part of our season. The West Coast win wasn't enjoyable, because during the game I was just waiting for the crash, and after the game I just felt we'd probably then just crash next week. Same again against Geelong, it wasnt really enjoyable, it just felt like a matter of time till we crashed again, and we needed to consolidate that win before we even got close to excited, but again we failed to deliver.

Our crowds are dying away, emotional investment in this team is holding on by a string, belief in the coach is completely evaporated, our best players are the only ones performing and all about to retire. There's little hope and little enthusiasm. It's a **** club to support right now and the acceptance of mediocrity is killing it.

The relevance and ultimate impact on the PAFC of that statement should never ever be underestimated.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Nothing but a tired old spin doctor these days. Goodbye KT, thanks for the prison bar elimination final in 2014.
From memory, that was only because the AFL f*cked up the guernsey clash and wanted us to wear our away strip at home before finally forcing Richmond to wear yellow. That one fell in his lap.

Stability brings success is an ass-about backwards philosophy and not what made this club great in the past.

Success brings stability is more accurate. We had people like McLean, Fos and Cahill around the place for a long time because they were successful, not the other way around.

The idea that you can give someone a job for 10 years and it'll make you win premierships is a deeply flawed concept.

So right.

And just goes to show what a waste of space Koch is. May have the profile but hasn't any idea about what is required to be successful in a professional sporting competition. None at all. Until he goes everything else doesn't matter. He sets the vision, the goals, the standards.

Just keep building 50 bed hostels David, that will do it.

Underpinned by a completely warped sense of just what the club’s problems were, which in-turn amplified the mythology of Hinkley being equal parts saviour and supercoach. With everyone from Board-level up more than keen to gargle each other’s bathwater at those early returns.

The turmoil and ‘instability’ of the pre-Koch era was triggered by the most uniquely absurd set of circumstances a football club can endure.

From the moment John James and Greg Boulton departed declaring Port was financially secure, to the moment Mark Haysman opened the books, took one look at our existing business model and blew the whistle long and loud.

A dream team of Brian Cook and Al Clarkson couldn’t have done much more under the forced austerity and external interference of the pre-Oval revolution. But here we are, constantly benchmarking against the once-in-a-century circumstances of that period, as if rusting a mediocre coach into the seat is what’s been responsible for the relative uptick in fortunes.

Matthew Primus was an extremely limited coach, but even he must wonder what he could’ve achieved with an elite fitness guru, actual assistant coaches who aren’t Skype Laidley and PowerPoint McMillan and something approaching a properly-funded scouting, recruiting and list management network - let alone the Boaks, Grays, Westhoffs, Wingards and Ryders playing their best football.

All the three Ks did was achieve beginner gains by becoming a base level competent football club - some of these changes they implemented, some were a result of the hard yards done by the previous administration under trying circumstances. The uplift in confidence and momentum that came with that almost carried us all the way through to a flag.

Inevitably, that momentum settles down, things normalise, and you need to get on with the business of being a good football club. It was at this point that we were found wanting and continue to be found wanting. Our culture is not strong enough and those in charge do not drive high standards or expect elite performance or even elite professionalism in the pursuit of elite performance. This is why we are mediocre and will continue to be mediocre until the broom sweeps through the place and we put the right people in charge to actually become a ruthless, winning organisation. Unfortunately, I have no faith in that happening.

All the three Ks did was achieve beginner gains by becoming a base level competent football club - some of these changes they implemented, some were a result of the hard yards done by the previous administration under trying circumstances. The uplift in confidence and momentum that came with that almost carried us all the way through to a flag.

Inevitably, that momentum settles down, things normalise, and you need to get on with the business of being a good football club. It was at this point that we were found wanting and continue to be found wanting. Our culture is not strong enough and those in charge do not drive high standards or expect elite performance or even elite professionalism in the pursuit of elite performance. This is why we are mediocre and will continue to be mediocre until the broom sweeps through the place and we put the right people in charge to actually become a ruthless, winning organisation. Unfortunately, I have no faith in that happening.

The only tangible gains being made at the moment are in the realm of distributing milk to Chinese school kids and committing to building a boarding house for indigenous youths.

Quite the plot twist.

Agreed, all KT and Koch did was make some basic changes that any half competent manager would do when taking over a business, saw some early improvement, and then sat back and contemplated their navels before the job was even half done, and when you take into account the previous admin got the ball rolling on Adelaide oval, and the AFL set up the intro to Renault they are frauds who have achieved f*** all.

Underpinned by a completely warped sense of just what the club’s problems were, which in-turn amplified the mythology of Hinkley being equal parts saviour and supercoach. With everyone from Board-level up more than keen to gargle each other’s bathwater at those early returns.

The turmoil and ‘instability’ of the pre-Koch era was triggered by the most uniquely absurd set of circumstances a football club can endure.

From the moment John James and Greg Boulton departed declaring Port was financially secure, to the moment Mark Haysman opened the books, took one look at our existing business model and blew the whistle long and loud.

A dream team of Brian Cook and Al Clarkson couldn’t have done much more under the forced austerity and external interference of the pre-Oval revolution. But here we are, constantly benchmarking against the once-in-a-century circumstances of that period, as if rusting a mediocre coach into the seat is what’s been responsible for the relative uptick in fortunes.

Matthew Primus was an extremely limited coach, but even he must wonder what he could’ve achieved with an elite fitness guru, actual assistant coaches who aren’t Skype Laidley and PowerPoint McMillan and something approaching a properly-funded scouting, recruiting and list management network - let alone the Boaks, Grays, Westhoffs, Wingards and Ryders playing their best football.

Not just thinking of Primus here, but coaches often have to make tough decisions... Short term pain for long term gain, or just continual mediocrity. It's kind of s**t that those with the courage to take the former path are the ones who lose their jobs at a much faster clip than those who take the latter path.

Signing off on co-captains even though he knew it was a deeply unpopular decision was the start of his downfall but his pathetic and out of touch public stance/comments on the Prison Bars issue is the end of him.

Doesn't truly understand Port Adelaide.
I'd nearly completely forgotten about the co-captain fiasco. That's turned out fantastic hey, our results have just been so much better since that monumental decision.

Has fully backed the wrong horse, doesn't stand up to the chairman, and is now paying for these decisions.

October 2020 will see a mass exodus, bigger than October 2004.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Success brings stability. Until you are successful you do whatever it takes to chop, change, cut, delist, move on, expose, drop into a river whoever and whatever it takes to make you successful.

We have a lot of work to do

A great man once spoke out what you do with no hopers, you don’t keep them around year after year.

Keith from his time at Norwood saw first hand what the port tradition is all about and the results it gets. But no comes in pisses on the creed then wipes his ass with the prison bars Guernsey * off Keith.

You'd be surprised to see how many ex-Sturt and Norwood people are managers at the club. I've met a few of them. Is not that they don't like the club or don't try hard enough. But they'll never get what being PAFC actually means. Probably they also resent the old PA, as it would be natural for Norwood and Sturt fans/ex players.

Signing off on co-captains even though he knew it was a deeply unpopular decision was the start of his downfall but his pathetic and out of touch public stance/comments on the Prison Bars issue is the end of him.

Doesn't truly understand Port Adelaide.
I was willing to give KT the benefit of the doubt but when he defended Hinkley's demand for co-captains at the Inside Port Adelaide Live event in February by saying that a single captain wearing the #1 was just an out of date fashion it came home loud an clear that he doesn't understand Port Adelaide. If he doesn't understand Port Adelaide by now he never will.

Last edited:
That ******* email from Keith infuriated me. Absolutely incensed me. I think that was the defining reason why I didn't attend the game for the second week in a row.

I can't stand listening to KT anymore. The stammering, the over thinking of every...... single .......word he speaks. It's not genuine.

We need a complete clean out. Nothing will change with these guys at the helm.

I feel like bring back the bars needs to evolve into a demand for member ownership of the PAFC. Not that the AFL would ever allow it. But while we concern ourselves with the symptoms, the accountability and governance are the cause.

I wouldn't have a clue how this can happen but I am keen to hear from other more knowledgeable posters on such matters about how the club can be returned to having most, if not all, of its directors elected by the members.

I was willing to give KT the benefit of the doubt but when he defended Hinkley's demand for co-captains at the Inside Port Adelaide Live event in February by saying that a single captain wearing the #1 was just an out of date fashion it came home loud an clear that he doesn't understand Port Adelaide. If he doesn't understand Port Adelaide by now he never will.
I am only a fan, but I am new to the club. Still, even though I have "brazillions" ideas for the club, they are attempts to secure and respect the club's history and traditions — even the vast majority of bad ones. If an idea doesn't fit the club, it is bad regardless.

If the co-captaincy was the way to go, then, it should have been done in a way that respects the club. How? I have no idea. Still, they should have thought about it.

Has the trio Sydney-Norwood-Geelong done that? It doesn't seem so. Still, my memory could be failing me.

I wouldn't have a clue how this can happen but I am keen to hear from other more knowledgeable posters on such matters about how the club can be returned to having most, if not all, of its directors elected by the members.
Self-sufficiency would be the first step.

The only tangible gains being made at the moment are in the realm of distributing milk to Chinese school kids and committing to building a boarding house for indigenous youths.

Quite the plot twist.

... and we still haven't even done one of those things. Just talked about it.

We should tee up a club sponsorship with the Australian Artillery Regiment, coz we're always "gunna" do something or other.

When are we 'gunna' progress to 'dunnit'?

Last edited:
Back