Review Dees v Maggies: the Good, the Bad and the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Really good performance all round. Very efficient going inside forward 50. Defence strong up and midfield used the ball well.
Preuss did a good job to. Competed well all day.
Spargo impressed me. Really looked good last couple games.
Jones played quiet well. Some desperate efforts today.
Not sure on Tomlinson. Might struggle to hold his stop.

Good: Christian Salem hitting the 100 game milestone; 2020 has not been his best year, but I don't think we will ever see his best playing from HBF. I feel he would be best utilised in the forward half the ground. But still, he is one of our best draftees of the last decade, and we'll definitely get at least 100 more games from him.

Spargo was terrific. I always have a soft spot for players with obvious limitations that play well.

And as much as I ride Preuss' ass about the deal MFC gave him, I will eat crow and admit that he did a good job tonight. From a list management perspective I feel he is severely overpaid, but you cannot hate the player for making hay while the sun shines. And as per my Spargo comments above, I love watching limited players perform well above their station.

Lynden Dunn's hairdo is a ripper! Is he memeing Don Mattingly's sideburns from The Simpsons (). He was always a cool customer with his 'stache and pink boots in his Dees days.

Jones is well past his week, so I wish people weren't so harsh on him. I doubt we will see another BOG performance from him, but he still had his moments in a few passages of play. He is a champion of the club and I hope he gets a go next year so he can get chaired off in front of fans as a 300+ game player.

Bad: Lever had some howlers! His mistakes cost 2 obvious goals against. In a 56 point win it might seem nitpicking, but you need to iron out bad habits. I don't know whether the issue with him is being "over coached" or if he is just overthinking too much and fearful of making mistakes. Regardless of the issue, he is capable of doing better.

Pickett needs to slow down his body, or his mind needs to speed up. There were a few moments in the game where he was going to pull a trick out of his ass, but his limbs were about two steps ahead. I have faith he will improve, but I also have concerns that he will be an 'almost' player (almost kicked a goal, almost grabbed a mark etc.)

Fugly: Oliver's hair, as always. Clarry, if you read this forum, please PM me and I will pay for a hairdresser to give you a proper cut and colour!

Also Lever's 'stache. Facial hair does not suit him at all. And he is not playing well enough at the minute to get way with stupid haircuts, facial hair, tattoos or flash coloured boots.

Melksham did not deserve that paid mark and 50M penalty. I know it was ultimately the umpire's call, but I was pretty filthy watching him appeal to the umpire for the 50 when the mark should not have been paid at all. It was a bum move.

A great win but unfortunately I did not see the game. So I need some help. Is Goodwin a better coach than he has been showing over the past year or so, or was it a simple case of the players realising they had to pull their fingers out if they are to match it with better teams. Thinking more longer term and hopefully making a Grand Final in the not to distant future, it’s great to see guys like Weid being backed in. We have to play these guys and set ourselves up for the future. That is why I would keep playing Pickett. Overall well done to the coaching staff and players. We are starved of convincing wins so at last we get one against a team we all love to hate. My only concern is we find some form as we have recently and then like many times before over the years the team lapses and falls into old habits. The next few weeks will be interesting. If we can string a few more wins together then the question is whether this is a Goodwin led recovery or have the players simply clicked despite average coaching?

Before I analyse the game this is what I hate about the umpire sooking brigade, we had an absolute armchair ride from the umps and if it had been reversed there would have been a handful of posters sooking it up and blaming them

I don't think that was a very good pies side at all, I thought they'd wipe us but they are just as bad as the bottom few sides atm.

Good- Our back 6 is excellent ATM, really defending space well and leaving their man at the right time. Blokes holding their man down while one comes in over the top. Trusting each other.
Mays been excellent, getting closer to the player I thought we were getting. Hibberd a bigger resurrection than Jesus. Lockhart is tough as nails. Lever making huge mistakes still which needs to be fixed but he's getting to the right spots. Even losing centre clearances our defence held up.

Team defence excellent, every time it looked the pies were gonna break Langdon, Harmes, Lockhart, Thomlinson and Vanders worked incredibly hard back to support the keys. Forward pressure was excellent, always kicking it rushed were the pies.

Midfield is in form, the 4 main blokes are all using better attacking handballs are there's always one on the outside and on the move. Trusting each other to win the footy instead of standing on each other's toes.

Kicking inside 50, other than Fritsch and Petracca who both goaled almost every hit up inside 50 was to the corridor. Now I think someone like Geelong will defend that a million times better but with Weid owning his space like he is we have a deeper option to crumb around which Pickett and Spargo can feast upon.
Spargos kicking was awesome.

Weid is playing as perfect a FF footy as you could almost play right now. Getting his hands and body to everything. I could give a flying * about his goals and touches right now, he doing everything I hated Hogan not doing and that's crashing the ******* ball and doing it to the point that when he flys no one else has to, they can get ready for the crumb. I wrote him off but all of a sudden he looks an absoloute gun.

Everything looking rosier but still a big caution, none of these games matter if it all falls apart again in a week or 2

Very interesting now to see how Tom Sparrow goes the next few weeks, with Brayshaw moving back inside I'll bet he struggles to find the ball in the same way as Gus before him and wouldn't surprise to see him dropped again. Just because we won doesn't mean the balance isn't incorrect still and IMO Jones and Sparrow are now the odd ones out.
I still think we can improve again on what we are doing.

It was great to see us get beaten in the middle but not let Colingwood get much out of it. We were rebounding everything. Our transition game is where we thrive.

It's crazy how we have taken our biggest weakness over the past few years and turned it into our best weapon.

Before I analyse the game this is what I hate about the umpire sooking brigade, we had an absolute armchair ride from the umps and if it had been reversed there would have been a handful of posters sooking it up and blaming them
The umpring has been atrocious all year especially in regards to HTB. We got the short end of the stick the past three games so it was good to be on the receiving end of some favourable calls for a change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melksham has really mirrored our season, slow start but he is building some good form albeit lower numbers from 2018 but his kicking inside 50 last night was on point

Ugly: Garry Lyon's 'jilted ex-lover' commentary. Never misses a beat to pick up on a free kick the opposition should have received, yet quiet as a church mouse when an obvious one isnt paid for the dees.he can piss right orrfff

Amazing: everything else

Lyon is the biggest overcompensator when it comes to commentating his old club. It's like every time he has a positive thought about us he has to give us s**t as pennance. I'd love to hear a 'press red for ed' style commentary team with Lyon, Roos and Schwarz, Lyon would be a completely different person.

The umpring has been atrocious all year especially in regards to HTB. We got the short end of the stick the past three games so it was good to be on the receiving end of some favourable calls for a change.
My point exactly. Bitches gon bitch

Wont get the plaudits , but Lockhart is quietly becoming a gun and one of my favourite players.

The little is bloke is absolutely fearless. Love the way he plays.

Edit: Won't get plaudits he says, reads thread , is getting many plaudits.

Last edited:
Good... I don't care how s**t the pies were last night , and they were crap , watching us spank them certainly cheered me up . What it means in terms of the rest of the season i don't know .

qtCKOG9.jpg

An oompa loompa

Melksham has really mirrored our season, slow start but he is building some good form albeit lower numbers from 2018 but his kicking inside 50 last night was on point

Made some superb kicks last night , that was 2018 form Melk.

2007 emo core. Loved it.
I bet he went home and listened to the Smashing Pumpkins mellon collie and the infinite sadness album from cover to cover.

mind you I won’t judge him for that. great album.

the guys got cult hero written all over him.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back