Review Dees v the Dusty Tigers: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
  • 4 Points
  • JVR
  • McVee

Bad:
  • defensive pressure
  • Skills and decision-making. Also had no clue when to slow it down and when to speed it up in the last 5 mins.
  • Grundy's contract
  • Rivers' turnover which led him to rightfully being subbed out of the game.
-Hunter's underground handballs

Ugly: The umpiring

Where's the McVee hate coming from?

Thought he was a little loose defensively early (who wasnt) but that he had some great plays offensively and got better defensively as the game went on.

Remember him missing 1 howler but also remember him hitting some good targets (one when he was pressured on the boundary line on his left(?) was incredible). Went at 81% DE. Was better than Bowey and Riv.

When you think that a good game and a bad game are separated only by how accurate their opponent kicks. Blocked.
All you're doing is basing your opinion on the result. Probably think it was a good team performance as well
Meh. I don’t even really give a s**t about the crap opinions. It’s the inability to let it go. To carry on across threads.

I made a thread they disagreed with and I’m a flincher, pissweak and gutless. Then they claimed they were leaving the whingefest thread. Fine. Then I get strafed about it for an unrelated post in an unrelated thread pretty much a week later. Then, after tonight’s game a gif is posted back in the ‘whinge fest’ thread.

Basically it’s either ignore or retaliate/escalate and cop a ban.

Last edited by a moderator:

I do like the first JVR clunk, Grundy goes in for a bit of biff. JVR glances over the shoulder, walks away and just gets himself ready for the setshot

Meh. I don’t even really give a s**t about the crap opinions. It’s the inability to let it go. To carry on like someone with ASD across threads.

I made a thread they disagreed with and I’m a flincher, pissweak and gutless. Then they claimed they were leaving the whingefest thread. Fine. Then I get strafed for an unrelated post in an unrelated thread pretty much a week later. Then, after tonight’s game a gif is posted back in the ‘whinge fest’ thread.

Haha yeah, keep nipping at ya heels like a Chihuahua then cry when you bite back. Classic internet move.

Finding Grundy’s game hard to read. Looks good in ruck contests and with ground balls at times but geez he looks slow on the spread. Couple of down weeks after a couple of good ones, 1 out against average rucks.

Where's the McVee hate coming from?

Thought he was a little loose defensively early (who wasnt) but that he had some great plays offensively and got better defensively as the game went on.

Remember him missing 1 howler but also remember him hitting some good targets (one when he was pressured on the boundary line on his left(?) was incredible). Went at 81% DE. Was better than Bowey and Riv.
Yeah I thought he was the cleaner one out of the back half.

Gave away a silly free kick but other then that he was his composed self.

Sparrow redeemed himself tonight. Didn't dominate but actually had moments of impact unlike most of this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Meh. I don’t even really give a s**t about the crap opinions. It’s the inability to let it go. To carry on like someone with ASD across threads.

I made a thread they disagreed with and I’m a flincher, pissweak and gutless. Then they claimed they were leaving the whingefest thread. Fine. Then I get strafed about it for an unrelated post in an unrelated thread pretty much a week later. Then, after tonight’s game a gif is posted back in the ‘whinge fest’ thread.

I like that thread. Had some of the best discussions on the Dees yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finding Grundy’s game hard to read. Looks good in ruck contests and with ground balls at times but geez he looks slow on the spread. Couple of down weeks after a couple of good ones, 1 out against average rucks.
Thought Grundy was great tbh. Even Dimma praised him in his presser. He's been a very handy pick up

Great to have the comeback win. And in a big game that can always throw a curveball. The first half was a real worry. It we ground it out and had a 7 goal turnaround.
Not sure where we’ll land with the key forward set up. JVR looks the goods and showed some real ticker. But I was thinking up until then we needed an another experienced body up there.
Good to be sitting 4-2 and aware there are some issues to fox. Also get some continuity with Gawn Lever May playing together will help.
Also loved Chandler’s game.

Weird game. Extreme frustration throughout, a brief period of elation while we put the result beyond doubt, then back to frustration for the final 10 minutes.

Basically, I've come away feeling thrilled with the win whist also feeling really shitty about the way we achieved it. What a confusing experience.

With all that being said, what a final quarter from Roo, hey? So bloody exciting. Just hope the rest of our team can get their s**t together so that his talent isn't wasted over the coming years.

I thought Grundy worked his way into the game. Especially the second half I thought he was good. I read that he spent 17 minutes on the bench in the first which would explain why he was quiet early.

I thought Grundy worked his way into the game. Especially the second half I thought he was good. I read that he spent 17 minutes on the bench in the first which would explain why he was quiet early.
He’s been managed to 70% game time all year. 17mins, that’s just about par for a half so was maybe back ended or caught in rotations.

Last edited:
Thought May was very disappointing. Took a few marks when the day was done, but he made JRoo look 10 years younger. When May even stuck to him, and he often lost him in the defensive arc, Riewoldt was leading 10 metres ahead. Riewoldt isn't quick anymore, that is down to May being out of position. There was a moment where May left him and Hibberd ended up on him and he shrugged off Hibbo's tackle for a goal. I'd thought it could have been Hibberd's match up, but May went back to him right away. Has lowered his colours the last two weeks, also giving away multiple dumb free kicks - hopefully just a form issue.

Dustin Martin kicked 1.3 and had 25 disposals lol but Mcvee was 'good'

Come on. Dusty wins the game for them on another day
McVee forced Martin to high half forward, which would have been a game plan thing as he's not comfortable that high up anymore aside from the odd centre bounce. His disposal count doesn't mean much, nor do his pot shots from 55. Martin had one of his better games for the year, but he wants to play 30 metres out and McVee didn't let him do that. Credit to the young kid.

He’s been managed to 70% game time all year. Maybe it was strategy to back end it or just got caught off in rotations.
Presumably they weren't sure if Max would last the whole day fitness wise.

Good
Crowd - was an amazing atmosphere #ATG

Viney - we’re probably not going to impress too much when he is our best mid, but he had a good typical viney game

Goalkicking - this is probably the only thing we do better than the rest of the comp right now, it’ll save our bacon a few times this season

JVR cameo
Gawn return, missed the big fella and his contested marking bailing us out

Ambivalent
#wearerichmondsgrandfinal the campaigners were completely cooked in the 4th, played about as well as a bottom 4 team can play for 3 quarters then ran out of steam.

Bad
No one stood out as outstanding on the night to me, other than viney having a generally good game and chandler getting a few - I didn’t really know who was going to get the medal

Ugly
Umpires were genuine campaigners, way too much influence on the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back