Review Dees v the Orange Mercs - the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

JVR and Petty forward. It’s staring you in the face, Simon
I really don't know what happened there. During the match where Petty got injured he was playing a reasonable game up forward, so it certainly looked like a plan worth persisting with. Before Petty returns, we brought in Tomlinson and it was obvious that Lever and May were much much better having that third tall stopper in defence.

But then Petty returns, Tomlinson is dropped, Petty goes straight back to defence and somehow we end up with Brown and Smith as our tall forwards. I'd like to see us bring back Tomlinson, move Petty forward with van Rooyen, and drop Brown and Smith. That's the setup I'd like to hone in on for finals, if we can get that far.

"expected score" is a bit of a misnomer hey. I would argue to actual score of 5.15 was very much expected, especially after a month of pissing our pants in front of goal.

Just using expected score to dispel the myth that our goal kicking issues are because we apparently only ever have really tough shots from impossible angles.

Just using expected score to dispel the myth that our goal kicking issues are because we apparently only ever have really tough shots from impossible angles.
Perhaps we play an exhaustive game style and work our arses off for no reward?
An 80/20 shot is a lot tougher when you’re gassed (and the pressure is up because your opponent just scored a joey goose a minute before)

We work fn hard for goals.

"I actually spoke to the boys in the rooms and told them how proud I was of their effort" is that campaigner ******* serious?
I get this because I think the players are genuinely trying, it's not a lack of effort issue. The main issue is the goal kicking is putrid at the moment. And yes the way we play can be painful to watch. Missing goals constantly, watching how the opposition seem to bring the ball forward into a nice open forward line (thankfully our defence keeps us in games), yet whenever we go forward there's so many players mashed together in a crowd etc

But the coaches would be walking a fine line and need to remain mostly positive because if we had kicked straighter, we would've won at least two more games (freo and GWS). Yet the players might be feeling that all their efforts are going to waste at the moment. Despite all our forward deficiencies Goodwin needs to keep pumping them up because he needs the effort to remain high and if we kick straight next week we could smash the saints.

Perhaps we play an exhaustive game style and work our arses off for no reward?
An 80/20 shot is a lot tougher when you’re gassed (and the pressure is up because your opponent just scored a joey goose a minute before)

We work fn hard for goals.

And that game style all of a sudden started 6 weeks ago and made us 'exhausted' right from the start of the game?

Yeah sorry mate, doesn't stack up.

Edit - Just to add, on the weekend this was the disposal per scoring shot rate:

GWS - 31.0
MFC - 21.95

And that game style all of a sudden started 6 weeks ago and made us 'exhausted' right from the start of the game?
Not saying it’s the only reason we suck now, but you don’t think players are tiring halfway through the season? Two of our younger forwards in Chandler and JVR are shadows of what we saw early on. They were crucial for our scoring. They aren’t scoring any more. That every single player has suddenly forgotten how to kick a goal doesn’t stack up for me either.

Yeah sorry mate, doesn't stack up.

Edit - Just to add, on the weekend this was the disposal per scoring shot rate:

GWS - 31.0
MFC - 21.95
Didn’t watch the game, have no idea what this means.

Not saying it’s the only reason we suck now, but you don’t think players are tiring halfway through the season? Two of our younger forwards in Chandler and JVR are shadows of what we saw early on. They were crucial for our scoring. They aren’t scoring any more. That every single player has suddenly forgotten how to kick a goal doesn’t stack up for me either.

Didn’t watch the game, have no idea what this means.

Maybe, and I'm a definite advocate for rotating more players through, but I just don't buy it that that's the reason for the poor goal kicking. It didn't happen in the first 9-10 rounds, and it doesn't start late in the game.

It's a confidence and thought thing for mine. I think we've overcomplicated the game plan as the year has gone on and gotten too obsessed with the defensive style and the details around what we have to do and it's taken away too much natural instinct.

The disposal per scoring stat was to show you how much harder GWS had to work for their opportunities to score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't remember where it is tbh... But anyways, Tommo was dropped for basically a bad attitude/performance at training. Both May and Chaplin had cracks at him about it. Then he was dropped. Supporters all wondering why, that's why.
Lol Tommo played one of his best games for the club against the top of the ladder side in a huge marquee game and was dropped for not training hard enough the next week.

Oliver hammy being a cover from a night on the bags is stronger than this one mate.

Lol Tommo played one of his best games for the club against the top of the ladder side in a huge marquee game and was dropped for not training hard enough the next week.

Oliver hammy being a cover from a night on the bags is stronger than this one mate.

Didn't say "not hard enough", said it was for attitude issues at training. So you reckon he was just dropped after 'playing one of his best games for the club' just because Casey needed an extra defender?

Sauce on this is solid.

And oh boy, I won't even get into the Clarry reality, you wouldn't handle it...

Maybe, and I'm a definite advocate for rotating more players through, but I just don't buy it that that's the reason for the poor goal kicking. It didn't happen in the first 9-10 rounds, and it doesn't start late in the game.

It's a confidence and thought thing for mine. I think we've overcomplicated the game plan as the year has gone on and gotten too obsessed with the defensive style and the details around what we have to do and it's taken away too much natural instinct.

The disposal per scoring stat was to show you how much harder GWS had to work for their opportunities to score.
Yeah fair enough.

I suppose less disposals per scoring attempt is to be expected when we bomb it in mindlessly. Would be curious on the league average.

Yeah fair enough.

I suppose less disposals per scoring attempt is to be expected when we bomb it in mindlessly. Would be curious on the league average.
Suited the conditions I reckon, and that was the first time in ages I thought we actually played good wet weather footy, just the goal kicking let us down again.

I really don't know what happened there. During the match where Petty got injured he was playing a reasonable game up forward, so it certainly looked like a plan worth persisting with. Before Petty returns, we brought in Tomlinson and it was obvious that Lever and May were much much better having that third tall stopper in defence.

But then Petty returns, Tomlinson is dropped, Petty goes straight back to defence and somehow we end up with Brown and Smith as our tall forwards. I'd like to see us bring back Tomlinson, move Petty forward with van Rooyen, and drop Brown and Smith. That's the setup I'd like to hone in on for finals, if we can get that far.
I’ll tell you exactly how. Smith came in and wasn’t totally atrocious, was even quite good (by normal standards) v Collingwood and Geelong, so Goodwin didn’t want to drop a long term favourite.

I’ll tell you exactly how. Smith came in and wasn’t totally atrocious, was even quite good (by normal standards) v Collingwood and Geelong, so Goodwin didn’t want to drop a long term favourite.
Agreed Smith was reasonably good against the pies and cats, but he was basically a taller Neal-Bullen, he can pressure and cover the ground all day, but yeh not sure he offers much more

You just know we’re going to meet Essendon in an elimination final and be the ones to hand them their first finals win in 400 years or whatever it is. This year’s getting that kind of feel about it.
It was us who handed them their last finals win back in 2004. We're very encouraging to crap teams.

It was us who handed them their last finals win back in 2004. We're very encouraging to crap teams.

It's the circle of liiiiffeee...

the lion king GIF by Walt Disney Records

Remove this Banner Ad

Back