Review Dees v the Orange Mercs - the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

You just know we’re going to meet Essendon in an elimination final and be the ones to hand them their first finals win in 400 years or whatever it is. This year’s getting that kind of feel about it.

Comparing which c grade spud was slightly less awful in the forward line is like complaining about the size of the cup holders in your car when the engine is on fire.

Until we use the ball in a less brain dead fashion forward of centre and stop clogging up every cubic centimetre of space in our forward line with flat footed blokes we’re going to be watching the same shitshow every week. Wouldn’t matter if we had Ablett Snr and Carey or James Sellar and Juice Newton as forward lynchpins - the way we play is awful.
Agree, plus our 'best player' was responsible for 4 of the misses, the lesser lights can't do much about that.

Our game plan relies heavily on the small forwards pushing up and being the final kick inside 50. Aside from Pickett, they’re all role players, but their drop off is still stark. All of their kicks inside 50, aside from Pickett who has hit a few, are either going to dead spots or missing achievable targets.

Neal Bullen is in disgusting form, Spargo has been dropped, Chandler had a hot patch and has reverted, Laurie can’t get a game despite this. Add Pickett’s own average form and it’s a recipe for disaster.

If you don’t want to blame the individuals because they’re all role players, then blame the coach who’s game plan relies on them firing.

Our game plan relies heavily on the small forwards pushing up and being the final kick inside 50. Aside from Pickett, they’re all role players, but their drop off is still stark. All of their kicks inside 50, aside from Pickett who has hit a few, are either going to dead spots or missing achievable targets.

Neal Bullen is in disgusting form, Spargo has been dropped, Chandler had a hot patch and has reverted, Laurie can’t get a game despite this. Add Pickett’s own average form and it’s a recipe for disaster.

If you don’t want to blame the individuals because they’re all role players, then blame the coach who’s game plan relies on them firing.

We're 9th for marks per inside 50.

It's the goal kicking, not all the fault of the delivery.

The game plan is what it is, it's inside 50s at all costs, but it's nowhere near as bad as people try to make out. If we kick at AFL average the last 6 weeks we win at least 2 more games.

We're 9th for marks per inside 50.

It's the goal kicking, not all the fault of the delivery.

The game plan is what it is, it's inside 50s at all costs, but it's nowhere near as bad as people try to make out. If we kick at AFL average the last 6 weeks we win at least 2 more games.
I'd be interested in knowing how many marks we're taking inside 30 in front. Feels like we take a lot of kicks from 45 out or crap angles.

I'd be interested in knowing how many marks we're taking inside 30 in front. Feels like we take a lot of kicks from 45 out or crap angles.

Our expected scores tell the story there - they judge the shots on goal against their difficulty - and against GWS there was a 36 point difference in our final score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First Nine Games
43.69% scores per inside 50
106.9 points per game
+130 points on Expected Score
59 inside 50s per game
7-2 record

Next Five Games
40.94% scores per inside 50*
67.6 points per game*
-62 points on Expected Score
55.2 inside 50s per game
2-3 record

Melbourne regressing in front of goal

You just know we’re going to meet Essendon in an elimination final and be the ones to hand them their first finals win in 400 years or whatever it is. This year’s getting that kind of feel about it.
A post of yours I actually like and agree with.

Well done good sir, I didn't think you had it in ya.

Not going to bother reading the article but happy that Slobbo and other pundits are having a crack at us.

2341C415-89B5-4DF5-AF58-9A46CB0D7484.jpeg

Matthew Lloyd summed it up on AAA: "Maximum effort, zero cohesion".
Must be nice for the players knowing they're going as hard as they can and can't get over a side just outside the bottom 4.
But Simon is proud of them.

It's all getting a bit grim.

Matthew Lloyd summed it up on AAA: "Maximum effort, zero cohesion".
Yeah I was thinking that myself, I didn't watch Goodwins presser but I did notice some people were critical of Goodwin saying he was proud of the effort. I get it's an annoying statement but I don't doubt the effort was there but we really are lacking cohesion. It's been a problem for a long time but yesterday's loss is probably the most annoyed I've been in a while. I've been too optimistic for too long probably should have jumped on that negativity bus earlier.

Yeah I was thinking that myself, I didn't watch Goodwins presser but I did notice some people were critical of Goodwin saying he was proud of the effort. I get it's an annoying statement but I don't doubt the effort was there but we really are lacking cohesion. It's been a problem for a long time but yesterday's loss is probably the most annoyed I've been in a while. I've been too optimistic for too long probably should have jumped on that negativity bus earlier.

The issue is the cohesion has been a problem in EVERY single season outside 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back