Confirmed - Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick] | Page 333 | BigFooty

Confirmed Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Discussion in 'Drafts, Trading & Free Agency' started by Juice0103, Aug 3, 2018.

?

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2018.
  1. Carlton

182 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. Essendon

37 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. Hawthorn

146 vote(s)
    31.9%
  4. St Kilda

71 vote(s)
    15.5%
  5. Other

21 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!!

BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! Hall of Famer

Essendon
    Gave up less? Hawks had to give up their most promising player in over a decade plus picks to get Wingard basicly traded away thier future for 1 one player when in the next 2 years would have needed those picks for the draft. Essendon only gave up 2 first rounders,got second back and lose no players.

Would say Hawks were the ones who payed overs.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    sydney_gws and Buzzasto DaSilva like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    I really don't see how Hawthorn gave up less for Wingard. As Jade showed in a previous post using this years finishing positons as a reference for 2019 Essendon gave up the points equivalent of pick 4 for Shiel and Hawthorn gave up the points equivalent of pick 9 plus Burton for Wingard.

3. Jade

Jade Smug lives here.

Essendon
    Except the price paid was:

Essendon: Pick 4 for Shiel
    Hawthorn: Pick 9 + Burton for Wingard

Explain to me how the Bombers paid overs, but Hawks got their man at a price they were happy to pay?

4. threesixpio

threesixpio Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    If I ever meet you I will buy you a drink

5. Bombfire

Bombfire Club Legend

Essendon
    I get a feeling in years to come we may sit back and watch Wingerz return to the club he really loves. A bit like the Trent Croad homecoming.

PORT Adelaide star Chad Wingard is “heartbroken” at the treatment by the Power....

“I believe that he’s heartbroken.

“I felt like he loves the club, he loves Port Adelaide, anyone that speaks to him — you know he loves Port Adelaide. It was a bit of a shock decision.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...t/news-story/a6fec3bfc75335a4e2be9518a38ec53c

6. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    Because Wingard is way better

7. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    Have no idea where people are saying that the trades are comparitively different. I’ve never argued that in terms of value. I have merely (and rather meekly) said that Wingard was worth the significant cost and that Shiel wasn’t - hence us withdrawing once DoDo flew in with his OTT offer

8. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    Wingerz will love Dingerz

9. The Chad and I

The Chad and I Rookie

Hawthorn
    Anybody who equates points to the actual value of draft picks doesn't know what they're talking about.
    They are an AFL contrivance.

JeddaB and DannyJ like this.
  10. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    I didn’t want to mention it Chad but bloody hell the points argument is pretty silly and that’s coming from me!

11. Ambrosia

Essendon
    Regardless of the points system do you think Hawthorn and Essendon paid significantly value for Wingard and Shiel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    I don’t

That’s not what most are arguing. You guys are stuck on the wrong thing

13. Ambrosia

Essendon
    Not sure you any of this was directed at you. Started with a Carlton supporter claiming Essendon paid overs and Hawthorn didn't.

threesixpio likes this.
  14. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    Gathered that from looking at the last page. Cool

15. Buzzasto DaSilva

Buzzasto DaSilva Premiership Player

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Islanders
    Is it possible to suggest, that both the Hawks and the Bombers improved their list with the acquisition's of Wingard and Shiel, and neither side got "fleeced" or ripped off", and both football departments should be very satisfied with their respective effort's?

sydney_gws, mickd, BJK#5 and 3 others like this.
  16. Bombfire

Bombfire Club Legend

Essendon
    Only if the Hawks can engineer some rectitude and acknowledge that Shiel did in fact inform the Hawks they were not his chosen destination, and as a consequence they moved on to another target, namely Pingerz Wingerz.

17. Lance Uppercut

Lance Uppercut Eat bling

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Fatebringer
    classic.

Melbourne paid "2 first rounders" for Lever. He's done sfa. I don't see anyone ruminating on how badly Melbourne were "fleeced".

mickd and Buzzasto DaSilva like this.
  18. Mitchell54

Mitchell54 Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
    Both Shiel & Wingard are good additions to their team, both at fair value.

19. Lance Uppercut

Lance Uppercut Eat bling

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Fatebringer
    my absolute favourite part about this whole phony debate about whether or not Hawthorn was Shiel's preferred destination or not (I couldn't care less either way), is that Hawthorn fans who put this out there don't seem to grasp the argument they are actually making.

Let's think about this a bit more clearly. Let's assume what the BF Hawthorn narrative has been is true. Hawthorn was Shiel's preferred destination. For the majority of the year, Hawthorn and Shiel and his management were in discussions about the move. Shiel and management privately made it clear Hawthorn was their preferred destination, and this was what fueled Hawthorn posters confidence all year. Ultimately though, Dodoro blew Hawthorn out of the water with a ludicrous offer that Hawthorn wasn't prepared to match. And in any case, Wingard was who they really wanted anyway.

Assuming that's all true, what it means is actually this:

According to these Hawthorn supporters, the club who apparently always do what it takes to honour their commitments happily ****** Shiel over by leading him on and making him believe that he was a target, then when it came to the crunch they declined to pay the price. And not only did they decline to do what they needed to, they effectively used Shiel as bait to land their actual preferred target.

Yeah, wow, you really got one over us here Hawks. That's a great bit of business.

20. Alphonse_

Alphonse_ Debutant

Carlton
    i think they paid overs, but they they didn't get 'fleeced' because of their (unexpectedly) high finish (Prelim Final) which pushed their projected draft pick in 2018 (around 10) down the board.

I guess we can argue that the Shiel trade value can also be properly assessed once Essendon's finishing spot in 2019 is known, i am fairly sure that Dodoro really didn't want to cough up ur 1st rounder in 2019 for the trade either, but had no choice in the end. I suppose if The Bombers play finals in 2019 you win the trade, but I guess GWS kept you honest after you guys fleeced them for Devon Smith last year (which i admit to jelly of).

21. Deliverance

Deliverance Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    My favourite part is that there's been 333 pages of people thinking they actually knew what their club was doing behind closed doors.

22. Lance Uppercut

Lance Uppercut Eat bling

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Fatebringer
    yeah, that's how negotiation works. You do what you can and the outcome is the outcome.

I personally find it hilarious that Dodoro gets castigated as "hard to deal with"; but then after doing everything they could they paid the price they had to pay to honour the commitment they'd made, and now he's been "fleeced".

Honestly, it's laughable. But not surprising. End of the day Essendon get one of the dream fit players they need and the deal is done. Given the demographics Dylan Shiel is way, way more valuable to us than 2 x first round picks but some people are just not going to get that as on BigFooty draft picks (and youth) are ludicrously over-rated *shrugs*

Koopa likes this.
  23. emblurr

emblurr Club Legend

Essendon
    There are negotiations, then there are post nomination negotiations where it gets cranked up another level. If Shiel had nominated Hawthorn the negotiations would have gotten serious because a deal has to get done. The first and second round draft picks and any players that Hawthorn thought they could 'Burton' off to GWS would have come out.

24. DannyJ

DannyJ Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal
    The points value arguement is a horrible one. There is a reason clubs get a bunch of picks in the 30s and 40s when they have a quality academy player coming through. The value of points is a rort. 1st rounders are all that matter.

Both Hawthorn and Essendon paid a decent price for Wingard and Shiel.

Pretty much Hawthorn paid 15 and Burton (who I value around pick 15). So two late firsts. Hawks win that handsomely.

Don's paid a top 10 pick and a 2019 1st. I think Bombers win that deal, but if they fire blanks and come bottom 6 it could hurt.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

25. Bombfire

Bombfire Club Legend

Essendon
    You forgot the pesky second rounder coming back to Tulla.