Confirmed - Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick] | Page 332 | BigFooty

Confirmed Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Discussion in 'Drafts, Trading & Free Agency' started by Juice0103, Aug 3, 2018.

?

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2018.
  1. Carlton

182 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. Essendon

37 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. Hawthorn

146 vote(s)
    31.9%
  4. St Kilda

71 vote(s)
    15.5%
  5. Other

21 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. Jade

Jade Smug lives here.

Essendon
    Amusing, because there was never any danger of a ‘stuff up’.

Once again, Essendon got its man.

Once again, Hawthorn was rejected.

I don’t blame the players, why would they want to go play for a side with a rubbish list?

The most amusing part was not the rejection, but the pathetic scramble by the Hawks to try maintain the facade of a ‘destination club’.

So instead of securing one of the more sought after talents available, they ended up with an inconsistent flog that the paid a laughably high amount for - this is despite that same player being laughed off by the industry mere months earlier for trying to sell himself as a star.

The desperation was hilarious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. threesixpio

threesixpio Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    No comment

3. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    Vindicater (aptly named) seems to differ on this point

4. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    No argument from me that we were desperate to get Wingard. Clarko has been on the blower every year since 2014 begging Port to get Chad over to Waverley. He has probably been crying out “Give me Wingerz!” in his sleep. Not even his monumental success as a coach has soothed him. The man love Clarko has for Wingard rivals mine for Jaegar - and let me tell you - that’s a lot of man love

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  5. threesixpio

Hawthorn
  6. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    And look at the timing of that piece Jade - before the Shiel trade was done.

Where’s my hilarious drop mic gif....can’t seem to find it....

7. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    Hawthorn INTENT to get Wingard. (Terrible English). 8 October.

8. Deliverance

Deliverance Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    Meh! Shiel peaked in 2016. On the decline in disposals, marks, goals, clearances and contested possession. Not in clangers though. He's been steadily increasing in those.

hawks realist likes this.
  9. Lance Uppercut

Lance Uppercut Eat bling

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Fatebringer
    er...

Maybe you need a backfire gif instead?

10. Lance Uppercut

Lance Uppercut Eat bling

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Fatebringer
    and Mitch seems like he really had his finger on the pulse eh

11. Jade

Jade Smug lives here.

Essendon
    You mean as opposed to the guy whose last AA was 2015?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    That doesn’t contradict it at all.

In fact it strengthens my argument - we were able to get Wingard due to GWS refusing our offer of ONE first rounder for Shiel

We were after both. We couldn’t get both due to Dodoro’s enormous offer - and we left negotiations

How come you are struggling to understand this? You’re better than this Lance

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  13. Ants

Ants Club Legend

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Essendon
    Absolutely. There are a lot of fans of every team who troll, but most people when considering Hawthorn who think they'll fall away don't see that as an indictment on the team. You stayed up for ten years, won four premierships and played in another. That is hell of an achievement. But late picks, picks traded for immediate needs (e.g. Lake) take their toll sooner or later.

Clarkson has done brilliantly, but in the finals you've really struggled the last few years. Adding Wingard and Scully but losing the opportunity for more youth and losing Burton, we'll see how it goes. The key is if Scully can play or not, he's the obvious bargain if he can. But if he can't, I can seriously seeing you drop out of the eight as other teams may improve more and you still have some important players who are or are likely to start declining.

14. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    Hey no one saw Essendon coming in to trump Carlton. Should have seen the Carlton celebrations when we withdrew!!

Well played Bombers

15. Ants

Ants Club Legend

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Essendon
    Where is this claim that prices were discussed prior to Shiel committing coming from? Before Shiel decided who to commit to the general view on his cost was coming from the media, I don't remember a single report of discussions between GWS and any of the teams.
    Um, what makes you think Wingard is on materially less money that Shiel? Given Cogs is a FA, if you could afford him and Wingard, you could afford him and Shiel. So really, it is:
    • 2019: Shiel + Burton + 2018 second rounder vs. Wingard
    • 2020: Shiel + Burton+ 2018 second rounder + 2019 second round guy vs. Wingard and 2019 first round guy
    Still throwing up?

16. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    Wha? I didn’t mention money at any point - other than the GWS salary dump.

My point is that we got Wingard without needing to hand over our 2019 first. We can hold onto that in case things hot up in operation Cogs.

Selling the farm for Shiel was going to ruin everything. We let the Bombers do it instead

17. _Swoon

_Swoon Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Dallas Cowboys
    It's amazing how quickly poor Burton has dropped from being future multiple AA and club captain to being totally expendable in the minds of the Hawthorn faithful. I bet last year if you'd asked them the value of Burton, a late first rounder would have been laughed at. Yet, here they are, proudly saying they're glad they only gave up Burton instead of a pick.

Remarkable stuff.

The Bomb, Donakebab and Ants like this.
  18. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    If anything it shows you how much Clarko wanted Wingard. It was almost as difficult as Meryl Streep’s decision in Sophie’s Choice

PS: Burton had currency with Port. We can’t assume he would in future trades with other clubs. Pretty unsophisticated analysis if Im frank

19. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    No such indecision for Shiel.

20. _Swoon

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Dallas Cowboys
    Of course not, because you had no decision. Shiel told you no and Chad was your sloppy seconds.

21. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    Sloppy seconds is my phrase - no one else is allowed to use it.

PS: Essendon was Shiel’s sloppy second club

22. _Swoon

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Dallas Cowboys
    I've been using that phrase since you were swimming around in your dad's balls, and Shiel was always going to Essendon.

threesixpio likes this.
  23. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    Port would never have accepted your first and Andy McGrath for Wingard. They knew the Rising Star was totally rigged. You’re swimming around that issue

24. threesixpio

Hawthorn
    Nothing will prepare you for Wingard in Brown and Gold. I promise I will go easy Jade

Deliverance likes this.
  25. Alphonse_

Alphonse_ Debutant

Carlton
    I happen to think Wingard was Hawthorn's endgame all along, and I think they gave up less than what Essendon did for Shiel (whom panicked by SOS trying to gazzump them by throwing in their 2019 first rounder)

Hawks got their man, at the price they were happy to pay, Bombers had to pay overs to get theirs. I get a feeling in years to come, we may sit back and think Dodoro got fleeced.

Holy Rioli likes this.