Essendon vow enough is enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt anything will change until the midfield steps up. The end of last year they were exposed and looked soft. Not sure how much of that has to do with the fact that our midfield is so small. Our best contested grunt player is Stringer who barely lasts 10 minutes in there. Parish gets the stats but he’s not the guy to break a tackle or rip the ball out of a pack.

Every single team who made the 8 last year has a 185cm+ midfielder who is a good contested ball winner and goes hard at the contest. Our closest to that is Setterfield. Many teams have multiple. Basically every good team has a player like this.

JDG, Dunkley, Trac/Oliver, Butters, Cripps, Steele/Crouch, Warner, Bont.

We do not have anybody on our list who has the attributes these guys have, or even potential. Tsatas is the only possibility but does not scream contest winner to me. Hobbs although a bit smaller, would be our best bet to succeed in this role.

I also don’t see any evidence to suggest that we will be successful with Parish and Merrett in the starting rotation.

Doubt anything will change until the midfield steps up. The end of last year they were exposed and looked soft. Not sure how much of that has to do with the fact that our midfield is so small. Our best contested grunt player is Stringer who barely lasts 10 minutes in there. Parish gets the stats but he’s not the guy to break a tackle or rip the ball out of a pack.

Every single team who made the 8 last year has a 185cm+ midfielder who is a good contested ball winner and goes hard at the contest. Our closest to that is Setterfield. Many teams have multiple. Basically every good team has a player like this.

We do not have anybody on our list who has the attributes these guys have, or even potential. Tsatas is the only possibility but does not scream contest winner to me. Hobbs although a bit smaller, would be our best bet to succeed in this role.

I also don’t see any evidence to suggest that we will be successful with Parish and Merrett in the starting rotation.
That’s all X’s and O’s stuff. All true, but there’s more too it than just that. Essendon have had a much better preseason and should ( 🤞) have a greater level of fitness and conditioning that should help them deeper in the season. It should also help them when they’re being challenged late (eg: ANZAC Day). Development and a more professional outfit appears much improved as well. So, things will change with these ‘global’ improvements to the team / club. At a granular level, it would be expected these areas will result in improvement of individuals, including the midfield as you point to.

Did Bont play finals? Are Butters and Warner 185+ contested ball beasts? I agree with you but a few oddish calls here

This is true, but the way the game is moving I'm not sure if that's the way to win a flag. Double down on your strengths and bring more run through the midfield.

With faster and faster ball movement, there will be less and less contests that these beast midfielders can dominate.

Arguably the best players are now the quick mid/flanker hybrids with elite running power and disposal.

This has been the problem for years.
No size and grunt in the engine room.
Adrian had his chance to dance when Dunkley nominated the dons, but he didn’t want to pay the band …

Did Bont play finals? Are Butters and Warner 185+ contested ball beasts? I agree with you but a few oddish calls here
Port have Drew and Sydney have Rowbottom filling that role which allow the other contested players to thrive

This has been the problem for years.
No size and grunt in the engine room.
Adrian had his chance to dance when Dunkley nominated the dons, but he didn’t want to pay the band …

that's one of our problems........one

and no, the Dunkley deal is as stupid now as it was then. Dunkley was not a fix to our issues, and not at the price required.

If Dunkley was the only missing piece, sure dive in, but our issues run far deeper than that and spending that much would just be silly.

Dunkley deal for us would have been like needing to buy dinner for the whole week and spending all your money on a rib eye for Monday night!

The talent is there, seemingly the coaching should be, just not enough clicked into place for various reasons probably.

As a Carlton fan, been there plenty of times. Now is the time where we wait and see if anything does change or whether it's more of the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s all X’s and O’s stuff. All true, but there’s more too it than just that. Essendon have had a much better preseason and should ( 🤞) have a greater level of fitness and conditioning that should help them deeper in the season. It should also help them when they’re being challenged late (eg: ANZAC Day). Development and a more professional outfit appears much improved as well. So, things will change with these ‘global’ improvements to the team / club. At a granular level, it would be expected these areas will result in improvement of individuals, including the midfield as you point to.
Why so funny Red Bull ? As a Carlton supporter you would be acutely aware of the improvement on field at Carlton that came from a lift in culture, professional standards, fitness and player development. It’s not that funny. When a club sorts itself out, the wins come.

and no, the Dunkley deal is as stupid now as it was then. Dunkley was not a fix to our issues, and not at the price required.

If Dunkley was the only missing piece, sure dive in, but our issues run far deeper than that and spending that much would just be silly.

I’d rather have paid the price for Dunkley than Sheil …

Why so funny Red Bull ? As a Carlton supporter you would be acutely aware of the improvement on field at Carlton that came from a lift in culture, professional standards, fitness and player development. It’s not that funny. When a club sorts itself out, the wins come.

The dons dominating in summer … again !!
Let’s see them stand up under fierce pressure in season.
Seeing will be believing …

Hoping Essendon don't win a final for a few more years yet so we get to use this when they hit 9k days without a win:

vegeta-its-over9000.gif

The dons dominating in summer … again !!
Let’s see them stand up under fierce pressure in season.
Seeing will be believing …
Oh, ok. Seeing is believing, of course.

However, we said the same about Carlton, then Brian Cook arrived and the club has straightened up, as you have seen first hand.

Seeing is believing. However, with Vozzo and Scott, a demonstrable change in standards and professionalism on the track, a much shorter injury list compared to years past, there’s reason for cautious optimism. Essendon will win finals in the next 100 years.

If progress continues in these areas I have listed above, winning finals will either be in 2024 (possible), or highly likely in 2025.

Matthew Lloyd 100% right today on radio.

They have topped up for the now. Its not about 2025,2026 or 2027. They must play finals this season.

I've currently got them 8th. The start to their season is a tough run. 5-4 would be a great result.

Dunkley deal for us would have been like needing to buy dinner for the whole week and spending all your money on a rib eye for Monday night!
what did u spend the assets on? which of them are best 23

Matthew Lloyd 100% right today on radio.

They have topped up for the now. Its not about 2025,2026 or 2027. They must play finals this season.

I've currently got them 8th. The start to their season is a tough run. 5-4 would be a great result.
reminds me of when they brought in shiel stringer and smith ... top up didnt do much

Oh, ok. Seeing is believing, of course.

However, we said the same about Carlton, then Brian Cook arrived and the club has straightened up, as you have seen first hand.

Seeing is believing. However, with Vozzo and Scott, a demonstrable change in standards and professionalism on the track, a much shorter injury list compared to years past, there’s reason for cautious optimism. Essendon will win finals in the next 100 years.

If progress continues in these areas I have listed above, winning finals will either be in 2024 (possible), or highly likely in 2025.

No doubt Cook is an elite operator.
But when he arrived, Cripps Walsh and Kennedy were already providing the contest in the middle and now joined by Cerra and Hewett.
Vozzo can’t roll the sleeves up and give a contest under pressure out in the middle for the dons, that’s been Adrian’s issue for years …

what did u spend the assets on? which of them are best 23

If i recall correctly the dogs wanted our 2021 First round pick, and our 2022 First round pick.

We offered 2021 First Round Pick and our 2022 Second Round Pick.

Unless i'm wrong those picks turned out to be;

2021 - Ben Hobbs
2022 - Elijah Tsatas

Ben Hobbs is starting 23 and is a gun, Elijah though is still very young and hasn't broken through to same degree Ben has.

I'm pretty happy with it.

I think you only go all in on Dunkley if that's the last piece you need for a flag tilt. Essendon need WAY more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back