First club to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd back Essendon to win one before Carlton; and I'd back them to win one before we win another 4.

But, really, what does it matter? Yeah sure, it's nice to say my team has won so many flags. So what?

What really counts is how many you see in your lifetime. I've had the good fortune of seeing 8 thus far. Had I have had the misfortune of being a Collingwood supporter I'd have seen only 2, with plenty of heartache in between. So what if the club has won 15 (most pre-Squizzy Taylor days!!). They're about as relevant to you as those your club wins when you're pushing up daisies.

How good was this post back in 2020, foresaw the rise of the Dees!

Ha ha...not bad, but you did suggest Richmond would win 2 more first and that Melbourne would win 5 or 6 (they've won 1) because they've "got form" for doing so, cos they did it once 60 years ago.

Maybe a good call but still no actual predictions you made have been correct yet :)

Ha ha...not bad, but you did suggest Richmond would win 2 more first and that Melbourne would win 5 or 6 (they've won 1) because they've "got form" for doing so, cos they did it once 60 years ago.

Maybe a good call but still no actual predictions you made have been correct yet :)
Yep bit of a ways to go on that call :)

decent start though!

It does seem unlikely, but would the same be said in 2001 when carlton and Essendon were looking the goods
21 years. Lists have probably been turned over 3 times

multiple premiers/gf since then
Haw 4/5 Geel 3/5 rich 3 bris 3 Syd 2/4 wce 2/4 Coll 1/5

I'd back Essendon to win one before Carlton; and I'd back them to win one before we win another 4.

But, really, what does it matter? Yeah sure, it's nice to say my team has won so many flags. So what?

What really counts is how many you see in your lifetime. I've had the good fortune of seeing 8 thus far. Had I have had the misfortune of being a Collingwood supporter I'd have seen only 2, with plenty of heartache in between. So what if the club has won 15 (most pre-Squizzy Taylor days!!). They're about as relevant to you as those your club wins when you're pushing up daisies.
exactly, from a Pies supporter. i dont really care what happened in the 1920's and 30"s. My brother a mad Hawks fan has seen 6 times the premierships I have.

Every Hawthorn Melbourne or Geelong premiership means the next Essendon, Carlton or Collingwood one is just a little bit more likely?

Glad to help. Win win really

Last edited:
Given both Essendon and carlton have gone to quite extreme activities to be successful recently, you have to wonder what “it takes”?

Hawthorn, Richmond and Melbourne have all been fairly successful in recent years.

Hawthorn aren't far off contending again, Richmond are poised for a quick recharge ala the Bulldogs recently and Melbourne are going to be smack bang in the middle of their window for a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no V in AFL

Port has 30+ premierships and I still can't believe Rozee didn't win the brownlow

#robbed

Port has 30+ flags in the SANFL which is a semi-pro state league. The AFL and pre-90s VFL are the same league. All flags pre-1990 won in the VFL count towards the AFL total as it's the same league. No one gives a s**t about the SANFL. Get over it.

Port has 30+ flags in the SANFL which is a semi-pro state league. The AFL and pre-90s VFL are the same league. All flags pre-1990 won in the VFL count towards the AFL total as it's the same league. No one gives a s**t about the SANFL. Get over it.

still doesn't explain why Kane Cornes isn't in the Hall of Fame and why Rozee didn't win the Brownlow

The ones with fewer than 15 can be disregarded IMO. All the talk of dynasties in the current AFL, yet no-one's done better than four flags in the past 30 years. And as much as we like to joke, at least one of Carlton or Essendon is going to win a premiership before 2050... sorry for the shocking news.

Correct, if VFL clubs joined SANFL, Port flags would count, and old VFL flags wouldn’t.

That isn’t how it happened though.

Do Port fans still count flags from 1997 onwards in SANFL to this total? If so makes even less sense.

The ones with fewer than 15 can be disregarded IMO. All the talk of dynasties in the current AFL, yet no-one's done better than four flags in the past 30 years. And as much as we like to joke, at least one of Carlton or Essendon is going to win a premiership before 2050... sorry for the shocking news.
Hawthorn's won five flags in the last 30 years.

1991, 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Back