Preview Fremantle v Hawthorn - Elimination Final, Subiaco, Sat 4 September 3.20pm Changes and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hawks vs Someone - First Final, Changes and Discussion

Add in the fact that we will have about a 24hour advantage in terms of recovery and we don't have to travel.

All makes for an interesting game. Here's hoping it's a hot day in perth next saturday :thumbsu:

it will be hot in perth next saturday afternoon...and your bunch of spuds will get cooked.

guaranteed.

Selection will depend on the Freo line-up as much as ours.

Presuming they go in unchanged, and we get Hodgey back and Ossie doesn't get cited, then the issue re: Chubbs/Hopps/WhiteX is whether or not we think their back 6 are damaging enough with their run to warrant keeping both Peterson and Hooper in the 22.

The fact we can release Rioli into the midfield is a bonus, but I think it comes down to whether we believe Roberton, Broughton, Hayden and/or J. Van Berlo either individually or collectively pose as big a rebounding offensive weapon to Freo as O'Brien does for the Pies.

I think they don't, Roberton runs laterally as much as directly up the ground, whilst Hayden often coughs the balls up and loves to kick 30m chips rather than 55m bombs like Harry. The other two tend to stick back with McPharlin and Grover as the stay at home defenders.

I'd keep Hoops and Whitey and with a heavy heart tell Chubbs to bring his boots in case we have a late change.

Hoops attention to Harry was brilliant. Always thought Hoops was a bit flighty but could not have been further off the mark. Hoops rattled Harry - severely.

Ossie being rubbed is not such a bad thing. Dont like the way he is playing at the moment. He has turned into a soft sniper. (see first Q V Freo)

WhiteX played his best game I thought. When he starts spearing the footy he looks good. Still learning but showing.

Petersen is not going to be dropped.

Hodge in. Ossie Out.

Hoops attention to Harry was brilliant. Always thought Hoops was a bit flighty but could not have been further off the mark. Hoops rattled Harry - severely.

Ossie being rubbed is not such a bad thing. Dont like the way he is playing at the moment. He has turned into a soft sniper. (see first Q V Freo)

WhiteX played his best game I thought. When he starts spearing the footy he looks good. Still learning but showing.

Petersen is not going to be dropped.

Hodge in. Ossie Out.

Agreed. :thumbsu:

I haven't been impressed with the way Ossie has played of late. He was doing some good things earlier in the year, but he seems to have dropped off in the last month or so. So I'm not stressed if he gets suspended so we can keep Hoops in the team. I think he has a lot more to offer at this stage.

Tough one to call as highlighted for Hodge coming back. Ossie if suspended obviously makes it straightforward.

But if not, I reckon it will be between Carl and WhiteX...both will be unlucky and who knows, if its tipped to be hot over here, whether that gets any consideration?

In terms of Sammy's game - For mine, he was best on ground and I reckon he will get 3 votes from the umpires too.....his last quarter efforts were huge.

WhiteX will mak ay for LH. He is improving, but unfortunately, when he makes a mistake it is usually costly. He wil make it, but te ther wo options, Hoop an Peteson hve the X factor and can turn a game.

Hodge, Burgoyne, Sewell, Mitchell, Rioli, Ellis, Lewis, Bateman, Young.

Mundy, Hill, Suban, Duffield, Hasleby, McPhee, Morabito, Ibbotson.

There's a considerable gap in midfield class and we need to consolidate this early. If Freo are forced to move Pavlich in there then that is a huge plus for us.

Changa to Hill. McPhee will probably go to Hodge. The rest will be head to head.

The worry is Sandilands and Johnson. Michael Johnson is in good form and is going forward and kicking goals. Renouf and Skipper need to compete hard otherwise our midfield class advantage could be cancelled out.

In Ossie's defence, he has copped heavy head-hits in each of the last 3 weeks - his reputation as a diver has probably cost him at least half-a-dozen free kicks in the last month.

Have you seen ANYTHING different from these two all year?? Both have massive hearts. Kudos to them both for the way they have competed this year. Magnificent.

Absolutely. Though it will take something special from the two of them to take the points against these two.

Just on Skipper

I thought he was sensational against Collingwood - giving away centimetres to Jolly and Fraser but he always competed as well as he could, never shirked the issue and gave us alot around the ground and one the ground - seriously think next year we could think about him as a third tall forward if Bailey comes back or one of the young ruckmen shows something. His spirit is just what is needed. I can see why the coaching staff also rate Thom Murphy for the same reason - spirit and always tries his all, there is a lot to be said for that.

I too think that Ozzie is the one who should make way for hodge - whitecorss is getting better every week and long term probably has more to offer - getting some finals into him now would be a good thing

Hooper and Peterson have the potential to carve up Freo - they give us a lot of X-Factor which is just as well seeing Freo have Sandilands (Awful I know)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Geel and Stk will be sh..ting bricks knowing the Hawks are in that side of the draw. Either Geel or Stk out in straight sets, after finishing top 4!!!

BRING IT ON!!!! GO HAWKERS!

Agreed.

With a fairly cruisey draw to the GF up for grabs in the StKilda/Geelong match (potential PF against dogs/swans/blues) coupled with a likely hard run for the loser (potential SF vs Hawks and then PF vs Pies), I'd expect the StKilda/Geelong match to be played at a very high intensity with both teams doing everything in their power to snare the win. It should be a physical contest as both sides will be desperately wanting to stay in the friendly half. None of this warming up/easing into the finals mood rubbish, this will be one hell of a fight!

Consequently, despite having the extra day off and us having to travel back from Freo, if we win, i can see whoever we play in the SF being fairly sore and sorry and perhaps despondent as they will have thrown away a very good chance of getting through to the the GF.

Will be interesting to see how we combat Sandilands. Watching him against Carlton he was awesome - but I was absolutely stunned at how much room he was afforded around stoppages. Some closer checking/decent tackling aroudn the ruck contest would have halved the guy's impact.

I think the problem is so many just accept that Sandi will win the tap and put the focus into just getting the ball once it hits the ground - problem with that though is he quite often takes it himself. I think he really does struggle if he is made accountable and Renouf and Skipper and a third one up really need to make him work for it. Another way to combat Sandi is that need to take Mundy out of the equation - these two work unbelievably well together and Mundy reads him like a book and sets up so many forays into the forward line - job for bateman I think.

Can't see us winning. Will be close for 2.5 quarters, but we will lose our way late.

Need to stop Pav, Fyfe, and those mongrel small forwards

You are seriously one negative nelly Shakespeare - you remind me of that guy from gullivers travel with the cloud constantly hanging over his head.

Its funny how different fans see different things.

I thought Mitch's second half was awesome. I was particularly unhappy with his 1st half tho.

Totally agree re Browny. Very ordinary today.

I thought Whitex did some good things, but I also reckon he cost us 2-3 goals with simple mistakes.

No way I would drop Hooper.

I agree MB, I also thought burgers first half was very average - said to partner "prince to pauper in a week". Good to see he turned it around in the second half.

I too am in the keeping whitex camp - he can play forward or back and I thought on the weekend he had a pretty good game.

After watching the replay this morning, I certainly won't be surprised if Young finds himself with a tag.

Going to be interesting the in and out which ever way it goes. I think in fairness to Hooper he did rattle Harry Obrians game but at the same time Harry was obviously able to shut Hooper down a fair bit which at the end of the day is what Harry does best.
Carlos had Maxwell and Heath Shaw playing on him a number of times throughout the game. As much as both Carl and Hoops have the X factor these guys they played on are all pretty good footballers a little bit above the league of some of the Freo guys they played on last week. I think they did their bit and hope they are both there next week

You guys definitely hitting form, having it all come together at the right time.

We will miss Balla, but have a totally different outfit to what you experienced in Taz. Our Carlton game was a warm-up and if anyone watched was very one-sided with only turnovers and mistakes enabling them back into it.

Going to be a very interesting game - I hope your team takes an over-confidence in, it my be at their peril.

Stratton to towelled up Pavlova when he goes foward, Buddy to kill McPharlin and kick 6 and Rioli to have 30+ disposals and kick 3.
In saying that
In: Hodge
Out: WhiteX (very stiff)

Bring It On!

Off topic a bit. Im guessing the Saturday match will be live on ch10 since its a subi? Or will it be broadcasted by foxtel?

Regarding the team, i doubt Hooper will go out. On his day he will easily give us a 2-3 goal boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back