French Open is a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Ron Burgundy

Rookie
Suspended
Apr 8, 2005
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Does anyone even care about it at all. It seems to be the dud out the 4 major tennis events. Clay court play is boring.

It's my favourite slam.

Nothing better than watching two warriors grinding it out on the clay. Looking forward to the second week.

Agree with Karbo, despite many people finding it boring it is also my favourite slam. If ever you earn a grand slam win its the French, great watching the ironmen of tennis go at it over the best of five sets.

Think the French should adopt a seeding system like Wimbledon were there is extra weighting points given to clay court events.

My fave slam. My tennis dream is to watch the second week at Roland Garros. I think you'll find that the Oz is the ugly cousin unfortunately.

I love the french open purely because of the amount of upsets it throws up compared to the other ones. It would surely have to be the one (at least it seems to be) which has the most.

And there's years grand slam has been no different and there has been fantastic tennis. This has been the most enjoyable grand slam i've watched in my life.

I dont like it...because there are guys that play 12 months trying to peak at the french... and cant play at all on other surfaces.

I enjoy watching all court players (nalbandian, federer, safin etc ) try and beat scummy baseliners at the french...unfortunatly class gets beaten by pure consistency and mental toughness. Credit to those guys i just prefer guys who can play all surfaces.

Ron Burgundy said:
Does anyone even care about it at all. It seems to be the dud out the 4 major tennis events. Clay court play is boring.
The Australian Open is the dud out of the 4. The top players didn't even used to bother turning up in the late 70s and early 80s. Borg never played the Aust Open and I believe McEnroe might have played one near the end of his career.

bunsen burner said:
The Australian Open is the dud out of the 4. The top players didn't even used to bother turning up in the late 70s and early 80s. Borg never played the Aust Open and I believe McEnroe might have played one near the end of his career.

The Australian Open used to be the dud - it probably still is the poorer cousin out of the other 3, however to call it a dud is a bit harsh as generally all the top line players play the oz open these.

The Aus open now is at least equal with the French.

The way it is run ( 2 stadiums with roofs, night matches etc) make it so much more comfortable for players...if you did a straw poll of todays top 20 they would say they enjoy coming out to Australia.

bunsen burner said:

no -that particular honour belongs to the US.

The French is a great tourney, it's about the only one worth watching. For once players need to think their way through a match.

bunsen burner said:

The Aus Open is apparently the player's favourite slam. Used to be a dud (ie. no top 10 players), but now it's on par at least with the French. But remember, you can't do the GRAND SLAM if you don't win the Aus, no matter how much of a dud people think it is. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Syd Kennets said:
I dont like it...because there are guys that play 12 months trying to peak at the french... and cant play at all on other surfaces.

I enjoy watching all court players (nalbandian, federer, safin etc ) try and beat scummy baseliners at the french...unfortunatly class gets beaten by pure consistency and mental toughness. Credit to those guys i just prefer guys who can play all surfaces.
Could say the same about Wimbledon, guys like Ivanisevic and Kraijeck trying to aim for their peak to be around Wimbledon. Even Hewitt spent most of last year planning to peak at the Australian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back