Autopsy Geelong loses to PA in QF2 by about 6 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridiculous statement. Was CS responsible for half of Port's goals from our turnovers? And Hawkins missing his first shot?
Yes he is responsible, most of those turnovers were from bullshit chip kicks and handpasses sideways or backwards. Which is his desired game style that he has coached the players to do.

How did we make the GF last year if we choke in finals?
One final series out of the last 11 doesn’t erase the continuous finals failure over and over again

we all know we will win next week and then drop the prem and the club will pat itself on the back and act like nothing has happened despite the same s**t happening year in year out…they will even throw in that comment again about the supporters being entitled

clueless the entire club

I can imagine, anything to do with teeth is hardcore once the nerves are exposed.

Now you need a kidney stone to compare!
I'm not that old yet, but I guess I'll add it to the bucket list. I'm not sure I'd be a good with pain as I was when I was a younger man. Have started noticing the cold in winter. Softening right up.

What I’d give to have a Chappy back in the team to absolutely tear these blokes apart, put them on notice and put the fire in the belly. Instead we have Guthrie’s that don’t get out of first gear. Where’s the hunger? Where’s the ruthlessness? Where’s the mongrel gone? It’s times like these you appreciate the 7-11 era even more

I guess tonight proves the loss against Melbourne and GWS recently was a sign of something wrong in this team. I can't remember the last time I have seen the Cats play so badly (GWS maybe). Apart from a few brave soldiers like Mitch, Jack, Brad, and Isaac Smith, the rest of the team should hang their heads in shame. I can't see this side winning the flag. I suspect we'll be out in straight sets after next week. Another year wasted. I hope they can find something next week, some pride, to get them to the prelim. But watching this rabble tonight, I have my doubts.

It’s been proven time and time again now that our gameplan simply doesn’t stand up to swarming pressure, which is usually how finals are played and won.

Our finals record is a joke. I think the only time we’ve won week 1 other than 2011 was scraping past a Hawks team after the siren that wasn’t top 4 standard anyway.

Might be the shoulder. Hasn’t been the same since he came back. He had 34 odd one game and had zero influence, they were crap touches. it is hard for the punters to know most of the time. Think Danger may be carrying an injury too.

Possibly. We've been ridiculously unlucky with players carrying injuries in to finals. I know no one wants to talk about luck since any time the matter is raised people immediately misconstrue mentioning luck as excusing our abysmal performances, but the fact of the matter is we *have* been insanely unfortunate in terms of the physical condition of our players in key finals over the past few years. I include last year's Grand Final in that conversation, what with Danger having to play injured and all, which limited his output.

(inb4 the predictable misinterpretation of my post as excuse-making)

I switched off with about 10 mins left. Tbh, I could tell early in the first quarter that they were swarming us, they were really hunting in packs.

I don't know, I look at our team, and I think at full strength we are better than any other team we have fielded since 2012, but tbh, it just doesn't look like a premiership team.

Our back six is not strong at all.

For anyone who follows Champion Data or plays SuperCoach, Dahl had 14 points tonight over four quarters. That is very hard to do, especially when you are a tackling machine! I have not minded his role (we have few defensive players forward of centre) but that is unacceptable. Literally playing one man down with stats like that.

You could argue the coach *is* responsible for the lack of mental preparation/toughness that results in choking under finals pressure (year after year after year)..
Made a GF last year.
Execution under pressure is reflective of our personnel, and many here refuse to accept that we were witnessing the likely premier team at their home.
They have regained their list of players at the right time, and are ready to win a home prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to say that Cam Guthrie damaged his reputation in my eyes tonight. I saw him shirk the contest on multiple occasions. You wouldn't accept that kind of sh*t from an 18 year old playing their first final, let alone a 29-year-old veteran who is supposed to be one of your midfield leaders.

Not good enough.

Been pretty common since his shoulder injury.

I'm disappointed but how did we lead arguable the greatest team of the last decade late into the third quarter if our style can't play finals. I mean you do realise we had to win two finals to get there including smashing brisbane in brisbane. If it's all the way we play how can we make GF's its a moronic assessment.

I know you’re an expert on everything and love to talk down your nose at people so I’ll just bow to your better judgment.

Scott has a 37.5% winning record in the finals.
Scott has a 71.6% winning record in the regular season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s been proven time and time again now that our gameplan simply doesn’t stand up to swarming pressure, which is usually how finals are played and won.

Our finals record is a joke. I think the only time we’ve won week 1 other than 2011 was scraping past a Hawks team after the siren that wasn’t top 4 standard anyway.
Yep, 2016. That Hawks team went on to a straight-sets exit and we were 7 goals down against the Swans by quarter time in the Prelim.

When the players kick 5.13 they have to take some responsibility for their failure to convert and take their chances in front of goal

It's not like we didn't have our chances tonight - kicking straight, especially across the 2nd & 3rd quarters when we kicked 1.6 would have gone a long way to helping change the result

When a chunk of our shots on goal are grubby low percentage shots from inside a pack or a set shot on the boundary line then it's understandable. We didnt get many shots on goal from a lone player running into an open goal, we dont move the ball quick enough to get looks like that. We dont get many shots from 30 out on a slight angle, we dont send the ball inside 50 with enough system and discipline to generate shots like that.

Yes we should've kicked straighter, and it would've gone a long way to making us competitive. But to say that 5.13 tells the whole story is looking at the symptom and not the disease.

Ano here’s the more staggering thing of our last 9 first finals.

in most of them we were the favourites. In fact in only one of them. The 2014 hawthorn game were we the obvious underdogs.

in every other game we were either favourites or equal chance winners.

and we lost 8 of 9.

this is going to be a stain on this club for the next century.

What I’d give to have a Chappy back in the team to absolutely tear these blokes apart, put them on notice and put the fire in the belly.

Remember that time Scott left Chappy (one of the clubs best finals performers) on the bench as the medical sub against a team who were renown for their contested footy, and then the next week Scott played him from the opening bounce against Port Adelaide in the semi final and Chappy booted 4 goals to go along with his 20 touches and 6 tackles. Including a clutch goal in the 4th quarter when Port got to within 10 points of us.

Did you... not watch the finals? We choked in two out of four games.
You simply can't choke in finals and make GF's. It's literally impossible to do it cause it's an oxymoron. If you choke you don't progress it's a simple as that. If you honestly believe that you can then you will never understand football. No one in the history of the game has ever been stupid enough to suggest a team can choke their way to a Grand Final. In fact it's so stupid I can't believe I even have to write it.

Shame they've banned boxing at training. Wouldn't mind letting Tomahawk have a few sparring sessions during the week with some of the guys like Guthrie and Menegola who squibbed it up a few times tonight for ruining his 300th.

One of footy's truisms is that in big games you need your stars to stand up when the going gets tough. Tonight they generally didn't.

Jezz can play but I always thought we paid well overs and 6 years for a 28 y.o was a risk. It might just be that had he not left GWS he might have some silverware before he hangs 'em up. Not looking that way with us presently. Jezz might also be thinking tonight I pulled the wrong chord so to speak.

As for CS, it might just be many overrate our talent and he's done well to keep us in the mix. Can think of half a dozen who would not be in the top 8 teams' best 22.

Hopefully, Tuohy will be back and our hotshots will show something at the next outing.

The stars are starting to align for Kenny from Camperdown with another final on the PA deck probably with an even bigger crowd.

Posted when feeling despondent.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back