No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Think parts of the media backed the AFL in to a corner with the push for them to appeal citing that it makes a mockery of their tightening of the shirt front rule

The afl would be loathe to punish one of their ambassadors - should of just copped a ban and then challenged it if he thought it was harsh

Skilts or Chimp, as he was affectionally known might say he wasn't part of that team of stars of the late 50s, but he was. He won his first Browlow in 1959.
Do you reckon Bobby would take offence to being called Chimp these days Thaihawk ?

My old man's nickname has always been the dreaded N....word, because he worked outside when he was younger and was always well tanned. I cringe now when I'm walking down the streets of our home town with him and someone yells at him across the street, 'Hey N...'.

Times sure have changed, you just wouldn't/couldn't give someone the nickname of Chimp or N.... these days.

Do you reckon Bobby would take offence to being called Chimp these days Thaihawk ?

My old man's nickname has always been the dreaded N....word, because he worked outside when he was younger and was always well tanned. I cringe now when I'm walking down the streets of our home town with him and someone yells at him across the street, 'Hey N...'.

Times sure have changed, you just wouldn't/couldn't give someone the nickname of Chimp or N.... these days.
Mate, at 6 foot 6 and 105kgs and covered in body hair, I've been referred to as a gorilla all my life pretty much.

However, for a white male, this has never been a racial slur, so myself and Bobby Skliton are stuck with what we've got. Although I hate the fact people feel the need to comment on my size (it's ok for the ladies to do it, if you get my meaning), but the minute I suggest short people should be tossed, it sparks outrage.

I only met him once around 1956 or '57, and from memory, which is not very reliable at times, he was introduced as Skilts. I don't know when or who christened him with Chimp, but it is fairly obvious why.:oops:

You're right about changing times, and whether it's a good or bad thing, I don't know, but to ban the bl..k adjective in a kids nursery rhyme Baa, Baa, %&$#@ Sheep, to me is pathetic.

I distinctly remember Lou Richards referring to Dipper as the wog with the long name even before he played firsts footy.

Pretty difficult to stamp out when you have many rappers in the US referring to themselves and their mates a N...s. Kids here identify with these rappers and seem to think that they can get away with calling all their mates the same.

Caught up with Bob Skilton around 2008???? at a VAFA Ground - Immediately after the Grand Final which Ormond won Maybe Div 3 - Memory NOT good.
Could not help myself and went and shook his hand. Immediately afterwards someone else yelled out "Bobby the Chimp Skilton - Triple Brownlow Medalist" - Bob turned around and said "that's me"
That quote did not worry him 1 bit:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caught up with Bob Skilton around 2008???? at a VAFA Ground - Immediately after the Grand Final which Ormond won Maybe Div 3 - Memory NOT good.
Could not help myself and went and shook his hand. Immediately afterwards someone else yelled out "Bobby the Chimp Skilton - Triple Brownlow Medalist" - Bob turned around and said "that's me"
That quote did not worry him 1 bit:)

I would like to prefix all my posts with this quote, Big X.

I would like to prefix all my posts with this quote, Big X.

But... you keep forgetting?

giphy.gif

A caller the other day (cats supporter) actually commented on the number of times this season that the cats have been behind at 3/4 time and that he doesn't think it bodes well come finals time. Personally I think it would give you a fair amount of confidence

That is hilarious... From across the street. Laughed from the belly reading that.

If he wants to impress the AFL, he would have more luck calling on Hilary Clinton and Adam Goodes.
I reckon one good word from Rupert Murdoch and Basher Houli's tribunal problems would magically disappear.

That is hilarious... From across the street. Laughed from the belly reading that.
Yeah, they do it just to say hello though, not being racial at all. He does live in a pretty small country town! It just doesn't feel right anymore though.

I got a 3point infraction for daring to point out the hypocrisy of the AFL stepping in over the houli incident, but finding no case to answer when "the independent AFL tribunal" found no violation in regards to *

I got a 3point infraction for daring to point out the hypocrisy of the AFL stepping in over the houli incident, but finding no case to answer when "the independent AFL tribunal" found no violation in regards to *
They achieved their desired result in the * case. Lucky for us WADA came over the top, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back