No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they didn't - let's not wrap the Hawks up in gift paper. Sam and Tazz were told they wouldn't have a new contract after next year, Jimmy was told he would more than likely play a lot of his games in the two's. I'm quite sure that had jimmy said that he would like to explore options elsewhere the cats would of assisted him in the same manner the Hawks did.

It's getting repetitively boring hearing how the Hawks shoved those players out the door and now you're doing the same to Jimmy and the cats. The reality is that all three of those guys could have stayed in their own jumpers for another year but they chose not to because it wasn't in their best interests.

The above opinion is not a criticism of the choices that sam and Tazz made - I'm happy that they've been able to extend their careers and earn some more for their retirement fund. It's only to make the point that I don't think anyone has been treated poorly - it seems open, honest discussions were had with all players

Your last paragraph is exactly my point. We said to two contracted players that there would likely not be a position for them after 2017 so to look after themselves. Geelong just usher players out at the end of their contract despite them wanting to play on (Bartell, Stevie J, Chapman, Kelly etc.). I feel we have done a better job with our decorated veterans by letting them seek a payday elsewhere in advance - despite them being contracted.

Your last paragraph is exactly my point. We said to two contracted players that there would likely not be a position for them after 2017 so to look after themselves. Geelong just usher players out at the end of their contract despite them wanting to play on (Bartell, Stevie J, Chapman, Kelly etc.). I feel we have done a better job with our decorated veterans by letting them seek a payday elsewhere in advance - despite them being contracted.

I thought Bartel had another year, under some kind of trigger clause? So technically was contracted?

Agreed - a few of their fans came trolling over the trade period and I couldn't understand why. Their list has numerous frailties - they are almost as bereft of draft picks as we are and they pushed Jimmy Bartel out the door rather than look after him the way we did with Mitchell and Lewis. They lost Caddy and gained Tuohy - which is a loss overall. They better unleash some gems in the draft or they are in a world of hurt.
The team that Thompson built is slowly fading away and Scott is being put to the to the test, don't think he will make the grade just like his brother. 2 of their big signings have not made the grade. Zac Smith started off okay but went downhill from there. And then there is Scott Selwood, no need to say any more.

The team that Thompson built is slowly fading away and Scott is being put to the to the test, don't think he will make the grade just like his brother. 2 of their big signings have not made the grade. Zac Smith started off okay but went downhill from there. And then there is Scott Selwood, no need to say any more.

Not to mention Henderson and Tuohy have never been all that impressive. Mitch Clark imploded like predicted (not a mental health thing - more of a he's a f**king spud thing). They are still mostly a two man team - and they did little to repair that this trade period and they have minimal room to bolster up in the draft. Top all that off with Chris Scott - this is his make or break year.

Could be the year where the twins both get sacked.

Not to mention Henderson and Tuohy have never been all that impressive. Mitch Clark imploded like predicted (not a mental health thing - more of a he's a f**king spud thing). They are still mostly a two man team - and they did little to repair that this trade period and they have minimal room to bolster up in the draft. Top all that off with Chris Scott - this is his make or break year.

Could be the year where the twins both get sacked.

I think the best way to sum up Geelong is that they are a 10th placed team + (Dangerfield, Tuohy, Henderson, and Smith) - (Enright, Bartel, Johnson, and Caddy). Outside of Danger, those outs outweigh the ins, so they are one injury to Dangerfield (or a good tagger) from being a very average team. There's not a huge amount of talent coming through, and they've sacrificed a lot of draft picks over 2013-2017.

Possibly the most interesting thing is that they didn't use a first round pick in 2015 or 2016, and don't currently have a first rounder in 2017. That means they have to use two first round picks in 2017/18, but currently only have one. I will laugh my ass off if someone fleeces the s**t out of them for a first rounder, because everybody knows they must obtain one or they get sanctioned.

Possibly the most interesting thing is that they didn't use a first round pick in 2015 or 2016, and don't currently have a first rounder in 2017. That means they have to use two first round picks in 2017/18, but currently only have one. I will laugh my ass off if someone fleeces the s**t out of them for a first rounder, because everybody knows they must obtain one or they get sanctioned.

Knowing the AFL they will get sanctioned draft picks for not having draft picks. :huh::drunk:

I think the best way to sum up Geelong is that they are a 10th placed team + (Dangerfield, Tuohy, Henderson, and Smith) - (Enright, Bartel, Johnson, and Caddy). Outside of Danger, those outs outweigh the ins, so they are one injury to Dangerfield (or a good tagger) from being a very average team. There's not a huge amount of talent coming through, and they've sacrificed a lot of draft picks over 2013-2017.

Reckon Lonergan should retire as well. Henderson should not be playing forward.

Some Tigers supporters think that there midfield has gone past ours. Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Caddy. Thoughts? Assuming Jaeger is fit to start who are our top starting 4. JOM, Mitchell, Silk, Shiels? A lot of the midfielders we use lack endurance, (Hodgey, Silk, Cyril) , or class, (Punky, Poppy, Duryea, Issy as an insider).

Time to get extended games in our midfield youth. IMO I wouldn't have minded if we could have traded out a one or two senior players, for fair value, to teams they were happy to go to. Poppy and Birch are two who come to mind. Still playing great football but are keeping Hardwicke, Stewart, Howe from getting continuous game time.

Would love to see Lovell get an inside stint. With a couple of hard nuts running along side him I'd like him to be the quality distributor to our outside runners and forwards.

Exciting times. I wonder how our game plan will change. Hoping for top 8 but not expecting too much for next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just heard Damian Barrett on Triple M, he is Hawthorn's public enemy #1.. What a pig of a man, can someone go and belt him?

Heard it as well - listening to that campaignerstain Seb Costello is bad enough but Barrett makes it even worse.

Summary was:

Carlton and Hawthorn pick trade didn't pass the smell test. Because apparently clubs building trading goodwill transparently is a bad thing - we should all act like children like those who run the Suns.

Kept on beating the Vickery contract drum as well. Who was that poster who in the trade mega thread who said Barrett 'adored' Hawthorn? He sure has a funny way of showing it.

Barrett can't get over the fact the pick trade with the blues based on points was favourable to the Hawks.

Completely overlooks the fact that the blue might have wanted 3 picks this year more than one next year.

Heard it as well - listening to that campaignerstain Seb Costello is bad enough but Barrett makes it even worse.

Summary was:

Carlton and Hawthorn pick trade didn't pass the smell test. Because apparently clubs building trading goodwill transparently is a bad thing - we should all act like children like those who run the Suns.

Kept on beating the Vickery contract drum as well. Who was that poster who in the trade mega thread who said Barrett 'adored' Hawthorn? He sure has a funny way of showing it.
You mean like ten million over nine years, Barrett? Hmm, right.

Afl website's Callum Twomey gave Hawthorn "a closer to E" rating for our trade outcome. Now as I open my
Media Hawthorn Haters file, its bulging but just enough room for one more.
Twomey like the Pelican and others are speculators they love the draft and spend way to much time on it. They fail to understand that a 23 year old is just a draftee that has 4 or 5 years in the system that has gone on to be a known quantity.
Trading is akin to undermining their job so they run it down.

It's amusing how "journalists" ignore why it is that the Hawks haven't had a pick inside the top 20 for the past five years and instead make it sound like the club is just incompetent

Barrett can't get over the fact the pick trade with the blues based on points was favourable to the Hawks.

Completely overlooks the fact that the blue might have wanted 3 picks this year more than one next year.

And that 36 next year, is likely not as good as 48 this year by itself (and that's before 48 becomes 44

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun's board is "coch" a hoop about their great deal in trading with us for "O'Maggot".

#cochsout4tony which sounds like a circle jerk. Oh well, harmless fun and not likely to contract anything.
For some people it doesn't take much to float their boat.

Pessimistic about getting Jarman. Would have liked a pick in the 50's but I guess if Sammy was only worth 88 we can't complain.

Notice someone has started a thread on the Bay "How many picks does your club have before Hawthorn's first?". Haters gotta hate.

"The word" is Deledio was on a lot of coin, part of the deal for him is Richmond carries some of his salary.
On the radio two guys both knew he was on around $800k/year.
There's a picture of Deledio in the dictionary next to the word "con artist".
Deledio must have lulled Richmond into a state of deludio to get that much.

On the radio two guys both knew he was on around $800k/year.
There's a picture of Deledio in the dictionary next to the word "con artist".
Deledio must have lulled Richmond into a state of deludio to get that much.

Tippet and Deledio should start an "overpayed spud" club.

Lids isn't a spud, considering who drafted him and how he was developed, not to mention the players he was forced to play with he's am above average footballer which is a miracle.

If he'd been at the Hawks he would have been a four time premiership player and an absolute star.

Lids isn't a spud, considering who drafted him and how he was developed, not to mention the players he was forced to play with he's am above average footballer which is a miracle.

If he'd been at the Hawks he would have been a four time premiership player and an absolute star.
So sad but so very true. If he plays half back, he will significantly improve them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back