General Sports thread

Remove this Banner Ad

56783968.jpg

Hope they are!

Khawaja can't play spin at all. Shouldn't even be in the squad IMO.

Shaun Marsh plays spin well. Would be a good move. Makes our top order stronger.

If it's a choice out of Renshaw and Khawaja about who to drop then I'd be happy if they stick with Renshaw. Think he's got something.

Warner - hmmm... has struggled on the subcontinent
Renshaw - unknown at this stage
S Marsh - good player of spin
Smith - good player of spin
Handscomb - good player of spin
No 6 - ???

I'd actually like to see them make more horses for courses selections with the batting line up. They do with the bowlers by picking two spinners for turning conditions but they never seem to with the batsmen. They just go with the same guys that have thrived in Australian conditions even though those performances have no meaning whatsoever in Asia.

Shaun Marsh averages 40 in test cricket. Has made a couple of tons in Sri Lanka where our other batters have struggled. Seems to cop a lot of grief. Not 100% sure why. Partly because his brother has been so poor I suspect. They get lumped together a bit.

Has done his hamstring more times than Brad Crouch though.

Shaun Marsh averages 40 in test cricket. Has made a couple of tons in Sri Lanka where our other batters have struggled. Seems to cop a lot of grief. Not 100% sure why. Partly because his brother has been so poor I suspect. They get lumped together a bit.

Has done his hamstring more times than Brad Crouch though.
And they dropped a batsman averaging 47.9, who was one of our highest scorers over the last 12 months...

Shaun Marsh has made 4 centuries, Khawaja has 5...

And they dropped a batsman averaging 47.9, who was one of our highest scorers over the last 12 months...

Shaun Marsh has made 4 centuries, Khawaja has 5...
And, as stated at the very beginning of the conversation, counts for little in the subcontinent where Khawaja has struggled.

Because he can't play spin.

Whereas Marsh is coming off a ton in the 3rd test of our otherwise embarrassing tour of Sri Lanka.

And, as stated at the very beginning of the conversation, counts for little in the subcontinent where Khawaja has struggled.

Because he can't play spin.

Whereas Marsh is coming off a ton in the 3rd test of our otherwise embarrassing tour of Sri Lanka.
Khawaja can't play spin. Marsh (either of them) can't bat.

Khawaja can't play spin. Marsh (either of them) can't bat.
Don't be silly. They can both bat. They've both done quite well in test cricket.

Khawaja isn't good against spin, Marsh is.

We're playing spin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usman is horrible against spin, its no shock to be that he's likely to drop out. We are picking bowlers to play in certain conditions so why not batsmen.

Usman is horrible against spin, its no shock to be that he's likely to drop out. We are picking bowlers to play in certain conditions so why not batsmen.
If we were picking a batsman to replace him, then no issue. We're not. We're replacing him with one of the Marsh brothers...

If we were picking a batsman to replace him, then no issue. We're not. We're replacing him with one of the Marsh brothers...
Shaun Marsh is proven in these conditions, if nowhere else. To say he's a much safer bet than Khawaja is telling you just how bad the latter is against spin, I reckon I could roll down a few offies and be half a chance.

Shaun Marsh is proven in these conditions, if nowhere else. To say he's a much safer bet than Khawaja is telling you just how bad the latter is against spin, I reckon I could roll down a few offies and be half a chance.
I accept that Khawaja doesn't have a good record against spin. I accept the idea of replacing him with another batsman. What I object to is the very idea of classifying either of the Marsh brothers as "a batsman". They are both utterly hopeless against any bowling attack that is even moderately competent.

I accept that Khawaja doesn't have a good record against spin. I accept the idea of replacing him with another batsman. What I object to is the very idea of classifying either of the Marsh brothers as "a batsman". They are both utterly hopeless against any bowling attack that is even moderately competent.
When everyone embarrassed themselves in Sri Lanka, it was Marsh who stood up. Fact is he's as good a player of spin as we have in this Country who's name isn't Steve Smith.

Hostile crowd at the 6ers game, clearly influenced the officiating IMO. That and our lack of composure.

Hope they are!

Khawaja can't play spin at all. Shouldn't even be in the squad IMO.

Shaun Marsh plays spin well. Would be a good move. Makes our top order stronger.

If it's a choice out of Renshaw and Khawaja about who to drop then I'd be happy if they stick with Renshaw. Think he's got something.

Warner - hmmm... has struggled on the subcontinent
Renshaw - unknown at this stage
S Marsh - good player of spin
Smith - good player of spin
Handscomb - good player of spin
No 6 - ???

I'd actually like to see them make more horses for courses selections with the batting line up. They do with the bowlers by picking two spinners for turning conditions but they never seem to with the batsmen. They just go with the same guys that have thrived in Australian conditions even though those performances have no meaning whatsoever in Asia.
Maxwell should bat #6 because M Marsh is not a test batsman... but the selectors will pick Marsh anyway, as they figure he needs a gazillion chances.

Maxwell should bat #6 because M Marsh is not a test batsman... but the selectors will pick Marsh anyway, as they figure he needs a gazillion chances.
I think that depends how many quicks/spinners we go with.

Three quicks + Lyon I think they'll go Maxwell. Two quicks + Lyon and Agar/O'Keefe/Swepson they'll go M Marsh.

I think that depends how many quicks/spinners we go with.

Three quicks + Lyon I think they'll go Maxwell. Two quicks + Lyon and Agar/O'Keefe/Swepson they'll go M Marsh.
I Agree that will be their thinking, but would be surprised if M Marsh gets into double figures against their spinners as lacks technique for Test matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back