Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is making an appearance here also, and probably getting more useful as the season draws to a close and this discussion ramps up

I wonder if the Dog's let Smith go to the Hawk for #4 if they get involved trying to get #1 as they would hold #4 + #5.

If WC thinks they can get Curtain with one of those picks... that deal would give them Curtain + another top-rated kid.

Only North's #2 + #3 would be able to trump that trade for them.

But If WC thinks Curian will get past North Melbourne then I think #4 + #5 for #1 could be on like donkey kong.

If they get Smith, Gunston and Chol, that's a very very good trade period.

Gunston is absolutely cooked but I can see the appeal in him finishing his career where he had success.

Chol will be really handy for Hawthorn.

I wonder if the Dog's let Smith go to the Hawk for #4 if they get involved trying to get #1 as they would hold #4 + #5.

If WC thinks they can get Curtain with one of those picks... that deal would give them Curtain + another top-rated kid.

Only North's #2 + #3 would be able to trump that trade for them.

But If WC thinks Curian will get past North Melbourne then I think #4 + #5 for #1 could be on like donkey kong.

Nah Dogs won't make a play, as they gave up all their draft collateral so far to get Watson.

Could be even cheaper than that from reports on the Hawks board. They're saying Dogs are all in for Watson (no surprises there), and Hawks are offering 4 and F1 for Smith and 5 - so basically guaranteed to get Watson and an F1.

I believe them, as we've heard nothing on here and there's a lot of their guys who are confirming it. They also have something the Dogs want and collateral, so I daresay Smith becomes a Hawk before trade period ends, IMO.
That's a terrible trade for WB. Something is really rotten down there at the moment

That's a terrible trade for WB. Something is really rotten down there at the moment

I think Bevo has way way too much control over there. Reckon he sees Watson like Caleb Daniel, and thinks he'll be the best player in the draft.

It is possible Hawks go Bottom 4 again and it ends up fine, but it'd be a disaster if they finish 8-12 and they end up with not much at all for a contracted star player of theirs.

For mine though, I've never thought Smith was likely, as Hawks have been the only ones to have any credible rumours linking Smith to them since Connors ruled it out. We also don't have the collateral to satisfy them.

Probably for the best, as Smith could be real hit/miss given his off-field issues to date.

I got a bit concerned with all the statements here on what a shallow draft pool it is this year so thought I would take a look at our list numbers and see how many we had to draft.
Under the AFL rules a club can have 36-38 senior or primary list players. This year we had 38. We have had 5 leave and that will be 6 if Esava leaves as expected. The AFL rules are that every club has to draft 3 players across the drafts (includes pre season draft). To meet the minimum requirement of a senior list of 36 we will need to draft 3 players assuming we promote Ollie Dempsey from the rookie list.

Question is do we leave the other 2 spots free and wait for next year's draft which is supposedly better and when we will a better draft hand or do we fill the spots now? My preference is to run with a Senior List size of 36 (unless there are delisted players we have an eye on) and top up to 44 with Rookie selections. Players drafted onto senior list have to be given 2 years whereas rookie selection is a 1 year contract.

Gresham & Doedee end of first round compo picks.

I'll guess that Sav's contract offer from Port is more ($$$ + years) than what those above players are getting from Bris/Dons.

I have no issue thinking we are well within our rights pushing for more than #25 for Sav.

#25 could push out past #30 in this poop draft... Hard pass for mine... Port need to find more.

Question is do we leave the other 2 spots free and wait for next year's draft which is supposedly better and when we will a better draft hand or do we fill the spots now? My preference is to run with a Senior List size of 36 (unless there are delisted players we have an eye on) and top up to 44 with Rookie selections. Players drafted onto senior list have to be given 2 years whereas rookie selection is a 1 year contract.

Easy question to answer I reckon.

If there is a player or players we are happy with late in the draft we take them... If not we pass.

Reckon when push comes to shove that the Kangas will relent and trade for pick 1, giving up 2 and 3. They need a generational talent.

A scenario such as this might play out -

1. North - Reid
2. GC - Walter (bid)
3. WC - Curtin
4. WC - McKercher
5. Hawks - Duursma
6. Dogs - Watson
7. Melb - Caddy
8. GWS - O'Sullivan

9. Geel - Sanders

GWS & Dees are imo the biggest threats to take Sanders away from us.

I just don't see the Dees taking Caddy... they took Jefferson (key forward) last year and have Van Rooyen (key forward) playing/developing right now. So if I had to guess the Dees would be more likely to take Sanders or O'Sullivan.

GWS took Cadman last year with #1 and he isn't even in the team yet + they have Hogan & Riccardi going ok... HH also in the side but playing back or as a swingman option (with Cadman weighting in the wings) so I'll guess they won't take Caddy either.

I have just thought for a while Caddy is the highest % of the top 8 kids to land at our pick (no sure thing though)

I hope I'm wrong and Sanders is there but I'm just not expecting it.

I someone snags Caddy earlier and it leaves one of Sanders or O'Sullivan for us to grab then it'll be nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS & Dees are imo the biggest threats to take Sanders away from us.

I just don't see the Dees taking Caddy... they took Jefferson (key forward) last year and have Van Rooyen (key forward) playing/developing right now. So if I had to guess the Dees would be more likely to take Sanders or O'Sullivan.

GWS took Cadman last year with #1 and he isn't even in the team yet + they have Hogan & Riccardi going ok... HH also in the side but playing back or as a swingman option (with Cadman weighting in the wings) so I'll guess they won't take Caddy either.

I have just thought for a while Caddy is the highest % of the top 8 kids to land at our pick (no sure thing though)

I hope I'm wrong and Sanders is there but I'm just not expecting it.

I someone snags Caddy earlier and it leaves one of Sanders or O'Sullivan for us to grab then it'll be nice.

Have said for a while that Dees will take Caddy or O'Sullivan, as another inside mid does them no favours - they're already playing Petracca forward. GWS is the same, with Cogs and Kelly being kicked out at stages. Definitely still a possibility, but I think GWS are very keen on O'Sullivan (judging by their board), and Dees are into Caddy - as he's the perfect pairing for JVR and Fritsch. Jefferson won't make it, IMO.

I think Bevo has way way too much control over there. Reckon he sees Watson like Caleb Daniel, and thinks he'll be the best player in the draft.

It is possible Hawks go Bottom 4 again and it ends up fine, but it'd be a disaster if they finish 8-12 and they end up with not much at all for a contracted star player of theirs.

For mine though, I've never thought Smith was likely, as Hawks have been the only ones to have any credible rumours linking Smith to them since Connors ruled it out. We also don't have the collateral to satisfy them.

Probably for the best, as Smith could be real hit/miss given his off-field issues to date.
They're in real trouble the Dogs.

What a fall from grace? Made a GF in '21 with a young list, and looked like they could be set for at least a period of contention if not a flag or two.

Fast forward to now, and Hawthorn are the club you'd rather be IMO. The fish rots from the head, and Mitchell has the entire club on board and aware of where they stand. Bevo's reaching crazy dictator levels.

Have said for a while that Dees will take Caddy or O'Sullivan, as another inside mid does them no favours - they're already playing Petracca forward. GWS is the same, with Cogs and Kelly being kicked out at stages. Definitely still a possibility, but I think GWS are very keen on O'Sullivan (judging by their board), and Dees are into Caddy - as he's the perfect pairing for JVR and Fritsch. Jefferson won't make it, IMO.
I never liked the look of Jefferson to be honest... I do like Caddy more than him (much more) but the Dees took him with a first rounder only 12 months ago so they will give him time.

I'd guess the Dees take OS before Caddy/Sanders.

With talk of Petty going back to SA in a trade this year or eventually at the end of his contract in two years + with Lever & May getting older, I'll happily guess that OS is more likely to be selected by the Dees than Caddy/Sanders.

If it does go down that way and GWS are on the clock... do they take Sanders or Caddy?

I'd think with Hogan, Riccardi playing and with them taking Cadman last year with him playing VFL that they would rather just take another mid... heck they might even do something crazy like take Wilson if they want more pace/x factor.

Anyway, I just think they won't take Caddy (although I'll be hoping like hell that they do) and we have the chance to take Sanders.

The other question is... If Sanders is avail when GWS is on the clock and we really want him, do we trade up for him if we are unsure who GWS will select?

I can see Sanders getting very close to our pick... Do we trade up to make it a sure thing with the Dees or GWS?

I look forward to seeing how it unfolds.

P.S I'm just assuming we actually are very keen on Sanders, I might be way off in thinking that and Wells does something completely different.

I never liked the look of Jefferson to be honest... I do like Caddy more than him (much more) but the Dees took him with a first rounder only 12 months ago so they will give him time.

I'd guess the Dees take OS before Caddy/Sanders.

With talk of Petty going back to SA in a trade this year or eventually at the end of his contract in two years + with Lever & May getting older, I'll happily guess that OS is more likely to be selected by the Dees than Caddy/Sanders.

If it does go down that way and GWS are on the clock... do they take Sanders or Caddy?

I'd think with Hogan, Riccardi playing and with them taking Cadman last year with him playing VFL that they would rather just take another mid... heck they might even do something crazy like take Wilson if they want more pace/x factor.

Anyway, I just think they won't take Caddy (although I'll be hoping like hell that they do) and we have the chance to take Sanders.

The other question is... If Sanders is avail when GWS is on the clock and we really want him, do we trade up for him if we are unsure who GWS will select?

I can see Sanders getting very close to our pick... Do we trade up to make it a sure thing with the Dees or GWS?

I look forward to seeing how it unfolds.

P.S I'm just assuming we actually are very keen on Sanders, I might be way off in thinking that and Wells does something completely different.

Geelong Addy article out yesterday that confirmed we are interested, as many in here have stated. Lot of good points there though, and I've thought for a while that we would probably get involved and try to move up to GWS' pick, by sending them a Future 2nd if Sanders is still there at their pick.

No idea what happens, but it seems pretty likely that Sanders is our guy, and we'll trade out on draft night if we can't get him.

I'd be happy with that scenario. Probably still erring to taking Sanders if he's there though. Dogs now reported to be after Watson which may open things up for us, particularly if North end up getting pick 1.
That makes way more sense than Sanders

Reckon when push comes to shove that the Kangas will relent and trade for pick 1, giving up 2 and 3. They need a generational talent.

A scenario such as this might play out -

1. North - Reid
2. GC - Walter (bid)
3. WC - Curtin
4. WC - McKercher
5. Hawks - Duursma
6. Dogs - Watson
7. Melb - Caddy
8. GWS - O'Sullivan
9. Geel - Sanders
The only one I'd be questioning there is GWS. Not for any specific reason but just because I don't understaffed their list that well. The rest are perfect fits in my opinion

Don't tell JJ that...How many is it up to now?

JDG ❌
Grundy ❌
Brayshaw ❌
TDK ❌
Doedee ❌
Crouch ❌
Worpel ❌
Smith ❌

Fair play to the guy, if he's giving us info, we appreciate it...but it's hard to be so self righteous with a record like that.

I will truly be rooting against Essendon next season.

It'll just be hella funny if they don't fire a shot and miss the 8 after bringing in McKay, Goldy & Gresham.

They are topping up like they have lost a prelim by 1 point for the last two years.

Putting the icing on the cake... Only issue is they don't have an actual cake to ice (well that's what I'm hoping).

Just for a good old fashioned lol... I hope they have a shocker.

How can Port claim they're 'shocked'. We've asked for a first round pick from day 1, then they traded out their future first and offered us a second. What did they expect us to do?
This is hilarious. Port clearly don’t understand the concept of negotiation. In any negotiation I would be shocked if the other party accepted my first offer, Port are shocked when we don’t accept their first offer. Haha

I will truly be rooting against Essendon next season.

It'll just be hella funny if they don't fire a shot and miss the 8 after bringing in McKay, Goldy & Gresham.

They are topping up like they have lost a prelim by 1 point for the last two years.

Putting the icing on the cake... Only issue is they don't have an actual cake to ice (well that's what I'm hoping).

Just for a good old fashioned lol... I hope they have a shocker.
They won't move the needle at all next year, all of these moves are so vanilla. Book it that they won't contend for at least another decade with these Dodoro list cloggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back