Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are now getting into the season and we are starting to get a bit more serious with discussion, seems a suitable time to post the following as it's repeatedly shown itself to be a value reference tool in trade & draft discussion

And as per normal, thanks to Lore for putting this together - always a fantastic reference tool

And yes this post is now stickied - makes it easy to keep track of (can easily reverse this though if needed)

I think they need to resign Sav. He will look better as our midfield improves. I also think Jack Henry could be the Permanent Key Forward replacement and is capable of kicking 40-50 goals in a year. He flies for marks really well. Oliver will be a star. Both have marking power. Moving Jack to permanent forward will remove the worry of having a backline to tall.

Going against the grain here but..
  • Lack another genuine goal kicking small forward. Close and Miers are better away from goal. Close maybe develops as a wing?
  • Dont have enough run from the backline. Outside of Stewart, who is able to create some run?
  • won't touch on the midfield. We already know it is bad
  • I don't see the loss of Hawkins as bad as some. I think Jack Henry will be a very good forward if played there.

• Pick 10 - best available. Or trade for a later 1st with an early 2nd coming back our way.
  • Pick 80+ - Mature age players who still have development/improvement in them. I would consider Jack Avery and Kai Owens. Don't focus on what area of the ground, just pick who is most likely to become an afl player.
  • Another small goal kicking forward with a late pick
  • Look to trade next years future 2nd/3rd round picks for talented players such as Holland's from GCS.
  • keep Sav unless it's a great pick.
  • keep Parfitt in the hope he returns to his previous form
What about Henry and Sav down back, and De Koning forward? I see that scenario having potential.

As far as small forwards our guys are actually putting on solid returns for goals/assists (around 2 combined per game, same as last year). Where they, besides Miers, have suffered - is actually in their link up involvement up the ground - not enough disposals on transition between the flanks compared to last year.

I agree on the backline. We need a quality ball user and/or a fast mover who can rebound well.

We will have a vacancy on the wings as well.

Midfielder, rebounding half back and wingman would be on my shopping list.

We could possibly split our R1 and get Stevens (if we are keen on him) and pocket another usable pick.

Depends how high our pick is tbh.

If it's 6 or 7, we'll take one of those 'elite' players I put forward before.

If it's 8-12, I reckon there's a chance we could split it into a late first and an early second.

If we had pick 10 for example? Feels ambitious. Why in particular?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He's exactly what we need.

Not impressed by George?? He's had pretty good U/18 season. Also a pretty good VFL game.
Would backing it up with another 25+plus effort change your views?
I'm impressed by the things he does well, but I'm worried about his speed. Hard to carry too many slower units unless they're patty cripps.

I think they need to resign Sav. He will look better as our midfield improves. I also think Jack Henry could be the Permanent Key Forward replacement and is capable of kicking 40-50 goals in a year. He flies for marks really well. Oliver will be a star. Both have marking power. Moving Jack to permanent forward will remove the worry of having a backline to tall.

Going against the grain here but..
  • Lack another genuine goal kicking small forward. Close and Miers are better away from goal. Close maybe develops as a wing?
  • Dont have enough run from the backline. Outside of Stewart, who is able to create some run?
  • won't touch on the midfield. We already know it is bad
  • I don't see the loss of Hawkins as bad as some. I think Jack Henry will be a very good forward if played there.

• Pick 10 - best available. Or trade for a later 1st with an early 2nd coming back our way.
  • Pick 80+ - Mature age players who still have development/improvement in them. I would consider Jack Avery and Kai Owens. Don't focus on what area of the ground, just pick who is most likely to become an afl player.
  • Another small goal kicking forward with a late pick
  • Look to trade next years future 2nd/3rd round picks for talented players such as Holland's from GCS.
  • keep Sav unless it's a great pick.
  • keep Parfitt in the hope he returns to his previous form
Admire the optimism but we won't get a choice on Sav

I'm impressed by the things he does well, but I'm worried about his speed. Hard to carry too many slower units unless they're patty cripps.
Lot of the more one paced mids dominate junior footy then get exposed once they are playing with the big boys at AFL Level, not as big on some of these names as others, feels like every draftee is hyped up as the best thing since sliced bread these days.

What about Henry and Sav down back, and De Koning forward? I see that scenario having potential.

As far as small forwards our guys are actually putting on solid returns for goals/assists (around 2 combined per game, same as last year). Where they, besides Miers, have suffered - is actually in their link up involvement up the ground - not enough disposals on transition between the flanks compared to last year.

I agree on the backline. We need a quality ball user and/or a fast mover who can rebound well.

We will have a vacancy on the wings as well.

Midfielder, rebounding half back and wingman would be on my shopping list.
SDK was an AA U/18 Defender, lets have some patience and actually let him build into that position and stop trying to reinvent the wheel all the time.

So called fans advocating for the club to tank lose my respect tbh, luckily Geelong have never been about that rubbish.
Tank?
Who said anything about tanking.
Going out purposely to lose games?
That is tanking!
Putting game/s into youngsters is that tanking?
Thought it was smart use of your position your vision and your list particularly your youth going forward.
No fear. Shortsightedness is curable.
By acquiring a GUN to lead the next wave.
Cheers 🍻

Lot of the more one paced mids dominate junior footy then get exposed once they are playing with the big boys at AFL Level, not as big on some of these names as others, feels like every draftee is hyped up as the best thing since sliced bread these days.
Exactly my fear and also the reason he should not be in the first round. Might be a weak enough draft that he gets there though which is a bit of indictment on the depth this year

Exactly my fear and also the reason he should not be in the first round. Might be a weak enough draft that he gets there though which is a bit of indictment on the depth this year.
Its a very poor draft for mine, at least in the open pool, to the point that Id be content if we ended up trading out and just upgrading rookies/taking token picks tbh...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not impressed by George?? He's had pretty good U/18 season. Also a pretty good VFL game.
Would backing it up with another 25+plus effort change your views?
I am impressed, but it’s a mistake to stop looking elsewhere simply because a kid did very well in our own backyard.

It’s like signing a player because they played well against you.

Tank?
Who said anything about tanking.
Going out purposely to lose games?
That is tanking!
Putting game/s into youngsters is that tanking?
Thought it was smart use of your position your vision and your list particularly your youth going forward.
No fear. Shortsightedness is curable.
By acquiring a GUN to lead the next wave.
Cheers 🍻
Playing anything other than your best side when you can make the 8 is a ridiculous mindset and luckily the club won't do that.

Better pick doesnt gaurantee a better player either, plenty of top 10 picks playing local footy while guys taken 20+ in the same draft are now stars of the competition.

I am impressed, but it’s a mistake to stop looking elsewhere simply because a kid did very well in our own backyard.

It’s like signing a player because they played well against you.
Is a massive problem with our list management team and more casual U/18 fans alike IMHO, too often its a Falcon focused mindset and we let other talent fall through our fingers.

All well and good to rate home grown but got to be drafting the best player and back your systems in aswell.

But aren't we talking about trying to win, not loading up the boat via trade for next season? Unless I missed something.
Similar philosophy.

For example, our chances of winning are probably better (slightly) with Menegola in the side over, say, Knevitt. But if a gap opens in the side, I’m picking Knevitt. I’d also like to keep Neale in the team even if Hawkins comes back.

Similar philosophy.

For example, our chances of winning are probably better (slightly) with Menegola in the side over, say, Knevitt. But if a gap opens in the side, I’m picking Knevitt. I’d also like to keep Neale in the team even if Hawkins comes back.

I'd argue that Knevitt over Menegola has shown much more over the course of this year, so I'd have no problem in him being selected. Neale over Hawkins, however, can't ever see that happening and couldn't advocate for it at the pointy end of the season.

If Stanley is out and we need a ruck, then I'm taking him every day over Ceglar and a recovering Conway. Hawkins though, is a different story entirely. You just pick him if he's available, no questions asked - the gulf in talent and experience is just too great.

The only way Neale stays in is if Hawk or Rhys is out. If they're both in, we're too top heavy and he'll miss out.

Depends how high our pick is tbh.

If it's 6 or 7, we'll take one of those 'elite' players I put forward before.

If it's 8-12, I reckon there's a chance we could split it into a late first and an early second.
Has Zane Dursma got a bit of a bust risk about him in your opinion?? Seemed to struggle a bit at the champs and struggled massively with his Senior opportunity.

Might well be a long term project type

Is a massive problem with our list management team and more casual U/18 fans alike IMHO, too often its a Falcon focused mindset and we let other talent fall through our fingers.

All well and good to rate home grown but got to be drafting the best player and back your systems in aswell.
I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's a massive problem.

Generally speaking, we tend to go for Falcons players with the very late and rookie (i.e. Jack Henry, Gryan Miers) picks - but don't forget that our father/son players all come from the Falcons too, which kindof skews the stats.

I'm not at work today, so... of the last ten national drafts, the Falcons players we drafted are:
Lang (p16, 2014), Miers (p57, 2017), Brownless (p74, 2018), Stephens (p16, 2019), Conway (p24, 2021), Knevitt (p25, 2021), Whyte (p64, 2021) and Clark (p8, 2022).

That's a pretty good record, with only really Stephens and Lang being busts - but both were in weak drafts with no obvious alternative player available.

I do think it's wise to bear in mind that Geelong is geographically a unique club. It's a country town, it's not the bright city lights, and so it doesn't suit everyone. It's not like being a Melbourne club, where any kid from Calder Cannons through to Sandringham Dragons can keep living with Mum/Dad for their first year. Having that kind of stability in their first year can help a player.

Better pick doesnt gaurantee a better player eiither, plenty of top 10 picks playing local footy while guys taken 20+ in the same draft are now stars of the competition.
Yes, but it significantly increases your chances of getting a better player, and gives you a shot at getting an absolute star that you would not have otherwise had.

There aren't many guys taken after 20 who are stars of the comp, by the way. Have a look at the Coaches Votes leaderboard for this year - in order, it's
Daicos (top five), Butters (top 15), Petracca (#1), Bont (top five), Rozee (top five), Greene (top 10)... you have to get to Zach Merrett before you break in a top-20 pick.

Its a very poor draft for mine, at least in the open pool, to the point that Id be content if we ended up trading out and just upgrading rookies/taking token picks tbh...
Looking at what's available really validates the pick swap with Brisbane. Not much in the range of any of the picks we gave up to get 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back