Review Good/Bad v Port Adelaide, Round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Douglas was underrated in round 2 . Played a tagging role which impacted his numbers. He's back for good I reckon. I agree about using the squad. Some minor injuries are good for testing depth
Douglas played no such tagging role.

But he is playing way better than last year.

I think a large part of why we seem to be maturing as a side is stability.

This is the first time in 3 years that we've not needed to learn a completely new game plan, and adjust to a brand new coach.

This allows us to actually refine and improve what we are doing with a degree of confidence in the system.

For what it's worth I think we've only played well in patches and it's the team maturity and confidence that has been the biggest factor in us winning.

I wonder if that's what lost them the game?
The scoreboard flattered them.
After the first quarter we were in control of the game.

The flood tactic employed by Kern to block our forward entries stopped a score blow out.

That was more about Kern keeping his job than trying to win the game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm down at Merimbula on the NSW south coast for a few weeks and expected to do a Vader and watch the Showdown on the big screen at the RSL, but I was ill and had to watch an analogue Foxtel broadcast on a 32" screen. So, apologies for the late effort and not reading the preceding 29 pages which have probably canvassed everything.

A few observations, excluding the usual obvious suspects:

Good:

Douglas and Otten to me were outstanding in the first half when the heat was on. Dougie was very busy; Otten was very smart with the ball, lovely tap-ons, etc.

Unexpected Hartigan matchup worked very well in our favour. I don't know how much Grey's groin was affecting him, but he was still displaying his normal agility.

It only took one week for Hampton to stop trying to step his opponent with every possession!

Our intent, and theirs, was typified in the truly desperate scramble between Brown and Whinegard in the square: it would have been so easy to concede a goal there.

Bad:

Not too much, really. Perhaps Mackay was a bit quiet, but his goal made "goal of the week" considerations. I'm not too sure what his game time was, either.

Ugly:

Milera: He has regressed badly and looked basically not an AFL footballer. Even the commentators were onto this. I'm normally in favour of giving 5 games in a row to these fringe players, but he was so bad that he should be dropped. What typified his shortcomings was his (non-)effort early where the ball was there for the taking on the ground next to an oppo player: Milera was the closest Crow, yet he basically stood there waiting for a more distant teammate to charge at the ball: unacceptable! It looked as though he had no appreciation that he should have jumped on the ball.

McGovern injury: this could really trouble our season. Do we bring in Beech?

Ryder, in more ways than one.

He's got to actually catch Charlie for that to happen
Not happening....

giphy.gif

lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm down at Merimbula on the NSW south coast for a few weeks and expected to do a Vader and watch the Showdown on the big screen at the RSL, but I was ill and had to watch an analogue Foxtel broadcast on a 32" screen. So, apologies for the late effort and not reading the preceding 29 pages which have probably canvassed everything.

A few observations, excluding the usual obvious suspects:

Good:

Douglas and Otten to me were outstanding in the first half when the heat was on. Dougie was very busy; Otten was very smart with the ball, lovely tap-ons, etc.

Unexpected Hartigan matchup worked very well in our favour. I don't know how much Grey's groin was affecting him, but he was still displaying his normal agility.

It only took one week for Hampton to stop trying to step his opponent with every possession!

Our intent, and theirs, was typified in the truly desperate scramble between Brown and Whinegard in the square: it would have been so easy to concede a goal there.

Bad:

Not too much, really. Perhaps Mackay was a bit quiet, but his goal made "goal of the week" considerations. I'm not too sure what his game time was, either.

Ugly:

Milera: He has regressed badly and looked basically not an AFL footballer. Even the commentators were onto this. I'm normally in favour of giving 5 games in a row to these fringe players, but he was so bad that he should be dropped. What typified his shortcomings was his (non-)effort early where the ball was there for the taking on the ground next to an oppo player: Milera was the closest Crow, yet he basically stood there waiting for a more distant teammate to charge at the ball: unacceptable! It looked as though he had no appreciation that he should have jumped on the ball.

McGovern injury: this could really trouble our season. Do we bring in Beech?

Ryder, in more ways than one.
One of my favourite areas of Australia, Merimbula, Pambula, Eden, Tathra. Gods country

Bugger Rucci he got one blatantly wrong but Ashley Porter had Ryder as 2nd best and no Sloane or Wines in his top 3. Wow! Just WOW! These type of people actually get paid to be this incompetent.

Ryder was pretty garbage. Jumping high and tapping directly to Adelaide players

Should add that I like Pav in the media. A bit Tredrea like in that he shows little bias and notices things other commentators don't.

Hope he becomes a mainstay, but being non-Vic he has a 1/100 chance. Will end up stuck with Ling -_-

Remove this Banner Ad

Back