Autopsy Great moments ruined by shite commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember a match years ago where Rhyce Shaw had the ball and miskicked it, it going straight to an opposition player who Shaw then chased and immediately tackled, getting a holding the ball decision and Dennis Cometti yelled that it was "The Shaw Shank Redemption"

Hahaha, that's an amazing call.

Steven Bradbury. Wonder why the Channel 7 Australian commentary is never played along side the actual footage itself since it happened? Why, Basil Zempalis is your answer. How many people actually know/remember he was commentating at the time that it happened? Nobody, because his commentary was so terrible and it never gets replayed.

http://corporate.olympics.com.au/media/video/850E0A80-516A-11E3-9DC7005056A37760

Never noticed the American blokes name is Ohno, too funny.

The crowd rushing the field after Buddy kicked his 100th for the season.
"I know the AFL doesn't like it, I know probably the police don't like it, but it very rarely happens in the game". Such useless commentary trying to justify celebrating it rather than actually celebrating it.

That's brilliant
I remember a match years ago where Rhyce Shaw had the ball and miskicked it, it going straight to an opposition player who Shaw then chased and immediately tackled, getting a holding the ball decision and Dennis Cometti yelled that it was "The Shaw Shank Redemption"

I’d like to see all the critics here become awesome commentators and have nothing but threads of appreciation about them on bigfooty!

Eye roll emoji

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's how it's done.

Drawn Granny 2010. Unbelievable you let the emotions and responses speak for themselves.

Instead they all just crapped on about 77 and filled the silences with inane chatter.

That's my biggest beef, especially on Ch 7. Bruce has to issue the CV of every player who touches the ball along with a confetti shower of useless stats. Even a player taking a set shot doesn't halt the stream of irrelevance. Let the big moments do the talking.

This one automatically came to mind

"Dennis where are you? I need you right now"

Utterly ruined it.

I disagree

Basil did exactly what you want a TV commentator to do. Let you be immersed in the game not listening to commentary. It's not radio. We can see what';s happening and don't need the detailed description.

Compare that to Hudson who loves the sound of his own voice and doesn't shut up.
The main reason Basil ruined it because he has no ******* idea what the rules are. "The clock is still running!" "I think there was an error there, the clock should've stopped". Forget about Shuey lining up to win a final in extra time, just whine about the clock even though it was perfectly fine.

Great thread. Basil is woeful, and his call of the after the siren goal in the elimination final last year absolutely sucked, no matter which way you look at it. I was already irritated by his 'ARE WE GOING TO EXTRA TIME? YES. WE. ARE. SET 'EM UP AGAIN.' but he went next level on the Schuey shot. A fair bit of dislike for Hudson here it seems - IMO he handles the big moments well (as does Bruce) - the right amount of emotion and excitement etc. Putting Basil's mistakes/lack of knowledge/try hard Cometti stuff to one side, I just don't like the sound of his voice either (like most people it seems), so those factors all come together to create a kind of synergistic all-round suckiness.

I was watching this classic 2003 win on Youtube recently - I'd forgotten the match, and watching the highlights, I thought Michael's Christian's call was just great, especially Braun's sealer at 26:43. Makes Basil look like a complete hack in comparison.

Commentators in general have too much to say during play. It’s like they read the book aloud whilst your watching the movie. MacAvaney talks so much it’s like Braille TV. The art of adding the right comment at the right moment is lost on current commentators. But it pales compared to roaming Brian.

I agree. Too many commentators with too much to say. What's wrong with just allowing the picture tell the story and add special comments when needed, a la Richie Benaud? Commentators in AFL seem to have to tell the viewers everything they know (or don't know) about football in one 2 hour match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back