Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Any redeeming qualities to justify watching this game (haven't seen it) or simply delete from the box and be thankful I didn't see it?
I’d reckon it’s worth a watch, if only so you can get a sense of where the deficiencies are in the game plan combined with the list we have available. Probably won’t be nearly as tortuous as watching it live was.

We weren't the only losers at the Gabba on Sunday. Spare a thought for that poor young lady goal umpire (obviously a Hawk supporter,:) who realised we needed all the help we could get) who probably won't get another gig, and was certainly embarrassed by all the replays. My heart goes out to you, my dear.

The problem is are we are rebuilding team with all of Rough, Puopolo, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Henderson, Bruest, Smith, Stratton, Duryea and Shiels playing?

This isn't a knock on the legends of HFC. But, if you are going to rebuild then you simply have to head towards rock bottom. Nail your draft picks and work your way back up with a core group of young blokes coming through.

We are stuck in between. We have enough top end talent to maybe scrap into the 8. But, we simply don't have a nucleus of good young kids coming through that will take us to the next premiership.

This is football equalisation. You play in four grand-finals in a row, eventually the lack of high end draft picks catches up.

I wouldn't change anything about the ride we have had. If we hit full rebuild, then I trust the club is doing the right thing. Sadly, I feel Clarko recognised after the Swans game this side isn't top 4 and a shot at contending. The Clarko we have seen the past fortnight indicates he knows a rebuild is needed and I don't think he has 5+ years in him for it. He has given his all.

Kennet made some interesting comments on SEN today. Said Clarko called him after the Swans loss saying that he needed to make a change in course.... and the reasons why.

We weren't the only losers at the Gabba on Sunday. Spare a thought for that poor young lady goal umpire (obviously a Hawk supporter,:) who realised we needed all the help we could get) who probably won't get another gig, and was certainly embarrassed by all the replays. My heart goes out to you, my dear.

it was said that she was the person who alerted the field umpire to her own mistake. Nice save.

That it was so obvious a mistake probably lessons the offence.... a brain fade that couldn't happen again surely.

Overall the umps were pretty good on the weekend.

We aren’t in a rebuild, I’ve just come to the conclusion we are in no mans land, 8-10 of the players we play each week will retired in 2-3 years so that’s not a rebuild.
We can't run out 22 x 18-20 year olds each week. Running a few young kids through with the experienced guys is a far better way to rebuild / test them out.

Ironically, Chelsea is a Brisbane native and grew up a Lions supporter.

She was one grade below me at school, awesome girl.

Bad mistake but she's a good goal umpire. Has umpired grand finals.

it was said that she was the person who alerted the field umpire to her own mistake. Nice save.

That it was so obvious a mistake probably lessons the offence.... a brain fade that couldn't happen again surely.

Overall the umps were pretty good on the weekend.
The Hawks cheer squad (at that end) were beside themselves and the rest of the crowd saw it was a clear goal, a very quick replay on the screens along with the crouds reaction alerted the central umpire before he was about to "attempt" to bounce the ball.
Overall the umps were ordinary with us probs getting the slight rub of the green.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am the same. Backed Brisbane to win last week and will back Hawks this week. Teams that have a run and carry game style kill us. Also Hodge played out of his skin.
I am still trying out find out exactly what Hodge did, but according to an article that has appeared in the Google news via the Herald, Silk has revealed a DIRTY TRICK by Hodge to get the edge over the Hawks to win the game?! One thing that I did see frequently during the game was an ex-Lions full back running around the ground in his purple top and shorts supposedly taking messages to his side, but was obviously coaching at the same time loudly and clearly?! Although our boys were off their game after quarter time, it seems that the dirty trick that Silk has disclosed was a contributing factor!!!! Reckon Hodge has sold out the Hawks for "30 pieces of silver"!!!!!!

I am still trying out find out exactly what Hodge did, but according to an article that has appeared in the Google news via the Herald, Silk has revealed a DIRTY TRICK by Hodge to get the edge over the Hawks to win the game?! One thing that I did see frequently during the game was an ex-Lions full back running around the ground in his purple top and shorts supposedly taking messages to his side, but was obviously coaching at the same time loudly and clearly?! Although our boys were off their game after quarter time, it seems that the dirty trick that Silk has disclosed was a contributing factor!!!! Reckon Hodge has sold out the Hawks for "30 pieces of silver"!!!!!!

Possibly just having a larf about this.........

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-24/hodgeys-nipple-cripple-champ-v-old-mate-burgoyne

Gotta admit I am baffled by the suggestions that Merrett was "coaching". Those were pretty standard messages he was delivering from line coach to player.

It was just unusual to hear him mic'd up.

AFLQ paid handsomely for this win. I'd imagine. Lol
Why mic up a runner, let alone a Brisbane runner?
I smell a rat. Fagan, Hodge, V Hawks

Brisbane and AFL Queensland need a lifeline and it came at a cost to the Hawks.

The Hawks are not that bad, the lions are not that good and again why would you mic up a Brisbane Lions runner?

Baffled.
I'm going with conspiracy and my mind can't be changed. Lol

Gotta admit I am baffled by the suggestions that Merrett was "coaching". Those were pretty standard messages he was delivering from line coach to player.

It was just unusual to hear him mic'd up.

He wasn’t coaching but I suppose it’s a fine line anyway considering that he is giving a message from the coach. Was definitely nothing untoward in it

Seems pretty obvious that Hodgey was coaching this one. Had it pencilled in at the start of the year, all the intel, and plenty of time to work out a strategy.

We aren’t in a rebuild, I’ve just come to the conclusion we are in no mans land, 8-10 of the players we play each week will retired in 2-3 years so that’s not a rebuild.

I sort of feel a bit like that too. In the next 3 years we will probably lose Frawley, Birch, Schoey, Mirra, Hendo, Poppy, Langers, Doc, Whitey, Rioli, Rough, Burgers, etc. That's a third of our team.

It nearly feels like we need to stock up on a key forward, key defender, inside mid with pace and a quality outside mid now, before the others depart (to try to snatch one) and before we are left with 40%+ of a team of players that have currently played < 50 games (e.g. TO, Miles, Brand, CJ, Nash, Moore, JOR, Pitto, Ross, Lovell, Cuz, Lewis, Hanrahan, Jones, Worps, Kiwi, etc) and no one knows if any of them will really make the grade... ?

At this stage, I am only confident in the following players being rightfully in the best 18 in 3 years time: Mitchell, O'Meara, Gunners, Impey, Siss, Burto, Hardwick, Shiels, Glass...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back