C Isaac Smith, Sam Mitchell, Bradley Hill
HF Luke Breust, Jack Gunston, Cyril Rioli
F Paul Puopolo, Jack Fitzpatrick, Ryan Schoenmakers
FOL Ben McEvoy, Jordan Lewis, Liam Shiels

I/C Ben Stratton, Brendan Whitecross, James Sicily, Billy Hartung
EMG Will Langford, Daniel Howe, Matt Spangher

NO CHANGE
IN James Sicily, Billy Hartung
OUT Daniel Howe (Omitted), Ryan Burton (Calf)

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B Jason Johannisen, Joel Hamling, Matthew Boyd
HB Matthew Suckling, Dale Morris, Easton Wood
C Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Liam Picken
HF Jack Macrae, Zaine Cordy, Jake Stringer
F Tory Dickson, Tom Boyd, Caleb Daniel
FOL Jordan Roughead, Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Liberatore

I/C Clay Smith, Toby McLean, Josh Dunkley, Shane Biggs
EMG Tom Campbell, Lukas Webb, Roarke Smith

NO CHANGE
IN Toby McLean
OUT Lin Jong (Collar Bone)

View the Preview Thread

To quote a certain McGuire, “what a big week it's been in football”. Although Geelong and Hawthorn's respective ladder placement ensured four weeks of Melbourne football, few expected an all-Victorian header in the first semi-final of week 2. A massive upset travelling over West, the Western Bulldogs more than took the challenge to the heavily favoured Eagles side. Their incredible win and the Hawks agonisingly close defeat sets the stage for a brilliant Friday night at the 'G.

When & Where?

Semi Final 1, 7:50 PM FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2016 at the MCG

Following their 'away' game against Geelong last Friday night, it's déjà vu for Hawthorn, taking on the Bulldogs at the home of AFL. Unlike the situation last week, the Bulldogs really do suffer a minor disadvantage, playing the majority of their games at Etihad. With their poor form on the road – especially interstate – I was eager to point this out against the Eagles last week. To say it didn't matter would be understatement.

Statistically the Hawks have the edge, yet with five grand final appearances in the previous eight years, it isn't personal. On current form the Bulldogs have the ability to challenge the Hawks, and Friday night we see which team gets the opportunity to travel north, to take on GWS on their home turf.

How will it happen?

Hawthorn_Bulldogs_R3_2016_Michael-Dodge_Getty-Images.jpg

In shades of last week, the Friday night encounter is an interesting match-up. A rematch of the game that saw Bob Murphy sidelined for the year with an ACL, their only clash this year saw a 3 point victory for the Hawks. Since that round 3 encounter, both teams have enjoyed successful seasons.

Like Geelong before them, the Bulldogs primary focus is manic pressure. Coach Luke Beveridge emphasised its importance in September, "finals are normally won with the intensity, the grunt, the appetite for the contest and the courage side of it”. After their win against the Eagles, few would deny the hard working Dogs personify the sentiment. They will tackle hard, force a tight contest and attempt to coerce Hawthorn into error. Yet like Geelong last week, the Bulldogs will know contested possession alone isn't enough against this team.

Well documented, Hawthorn's dominance despite being consistently beaten in contested football seems an anomaly. Trailing 118 to 170 against the Cats, statistically this sounds the death knell for most teams. However in typical Hawks fashion, their control of the ball when they do have it allows for efficiency moving forward. Nearly fifty more marks and nine inside-50's illustrates their game plan perfectly.

Hawthorn will lose possession in close without panic; their ability to set-up behind the ball and counter-attack is legendary. While the Dogs were able to get over the back of West Coast last week, the Hawthorn defenders won't make that mistake. Often sacrificing numbers around the ball, where the Bulldogs get loose on the break, expect tougher entries into the forward-50 this time.

Whilst it was the Hawthorn mid-fielders who shouldered the heaviest load last week, the Dogs don't possess a duo as dangerous as the Cats. Rather it is their quick movement forward that will pressure the defenders more this week than any other. This week, Hawthorn look to Birchall, Gibson and Duryea to keep the kennel quiet.

Knowing the Hawthorn midfield stars will always be a challenge, for the Bulldogs it is a reversal. Daniel, Dalhaus, and Boyd will need to be at their best to ensure they're a chance to cause yet another big upset.

What will happen?

As of writing, the odds are:

Hawthorn_Bulldogs_Resize.jpg

The punters have paid attention to the drubbing the Bulldogs gave the Eagles last week, bringing their head-to-head price down to around $2.50. Coming off a trip to the other side of the country, such a short price seems unreasonable, in fact giving Hawthorn seemingly 'long' odds in their position.

Last time they met:

Hawthorn_Bulldogs.png

This time they meet:

Almost everyone got it wrong last week; the Bulldogs are a September threat. Whether it was the travel west, the injury cloud they were under, or the question over their readiness in finals, there were reasons left, right and centre as to why they would stumble. They didn't.

Indeed the manner in which they dominated a difficult first-up final made for fantastic viewing. Still every year, under the current finals format, a winner plays a loser in week 2 of the final series. Perhaps an underdog with a fairytale victory, or a stumbling Grand Final favourite, sentimental favouritism seems to override a year's worth of work. Concessions must be made – this year has been the closest in recent memory – yet still there is a difference between the up and coming Bulldogs and perennial stalwarts Hawthorn.

For many reasons neutral fans would like to see another upset; a Bulldogs triumph would guarantee a Grand Final birth for at least one team not seen this century. And though it would be one for the heart, the head must choose Hawthorn. Beaten by just two points by arguably the best team this year, they couldn't have come closer to securing a sixth consecutive preliminary final.

Only five times in sixteen years has a team been eliminated from the finals in straight sets. Three times in the previous two years, it has become almost common and may well happen again this year. Unfortunately for Dogs fans, it's more likely Adelaide that will manage it.

The Bullies won't go down easily, but there's still fight in the brown and gold dog on their way to immortality.

Hawthorn by 27 points.

I think if the Dogs play anywhere as good as they did last week that they'll knock the Hawks off. Hawthorn are an exceptional team and know how to win finals but the pace of the Dogs will worry them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very keen! Promised myself I wouldn't get emotionally invested but can guarantee by the opening bounce I'll be cheering for the Dogs like I've been a life-long fan.

Heart says Dogs, head says Hawks by 27.

I hope it's a good close game but I think the Hawks will find a way to win. They don't lose 2 in a row, especially at the G.

Tough ask for the Dogs, trying to make a prelim from the bottom part of the 8. Only the bravest of really good teams have been able to do it.

I think the Hawks will get up tonight. I hope they do. It would mean a Cats v Hawks Grand Final is potentially still in play. I would love to see that. Cats v Hawks are the best games in footy by a country mile. Just want to see another epic, close game tonight. No blowout either way please. And here's hoping no injuries/suspensions to either team

I think the Hawks will get up tonight. I hope they do. It would mean a Cats v Hawks Grand Final is potentially still in play. I would love to see that. Cats v Hawks are the best games in footy by a country mile. Just want to see another epic, close game tonight. No blowout either way please. And here's hoping no injuries/suspensions to either team

Screw that mate

Back