Prediction How many career goals can Lance Franklin get?

How many career goals will Lance Franklin kick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but you play long enough milestones will occur. No one mentions he's played nearly 100 more games., 68*,
Different times.

Leading goal-tally in each season of Wade's* career: 54, 68*, 75, 68, 56, 76, 96*, 125, 127*, 146, 150, 130, 86, 103*, 68

11 times players kicked 100+ goals in a season during Wade's career.

Buddy's second best season netted 82 goals. 16 times that was surpassed in Wade's career. It's been done six times during Buddy's career (including Buddy doing it twice).

Different times.

Leading goal-tally in each season of Wade's* career: 54, 68*, 75, 68, 56, 76, 96*, 125, 127*, 146, 150, 130, 86, 103*, 68

11 times players kicked 100+ goals in a season during Wade's career.

Buddy's second best season netted 82 goals. 16 times that was surpassed in Wade's career. It's been done six times during Buddy's career (including Buddy doing it twice).

Very true. And it is tougher to kick goals overall. But there are pros and cons to every era. The latest isn't automatically the greatest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as the old timers don't want to admit it - Buddy's goalkicking achievements mean more than anybody's ahead of him, including Plugger himself.

I'd love to see a comparison done where each of the greats were compared to one another based on how far ahead of their contemporaries they were in their era. Eg. go through lockets career, season by season, and compare his average goals kicked per game to the combined average of the other top 10 goalkickers that year). Then come up with some measure of how far ahead each of these forwards were ahead of the standard for their era.

Obviously, it would take a lot more thought and effort than the 60 seconds I've just given it but it would be interesting to see the results.

I suspect Franklin would come out on top because it's a massive anomaly for someone from this era to get close to 1000, let alone break through it.

As much as the old timers don't want to admit it - Buddy's goalkicking achievements mean more than anybody's ahead of him, including Plugger himself.
Would be interesting to see different forwards’ goal kicking averages and totals expressed as percentages of teams’ average/total scores in their era.

Buddy might come out on top by that measure. Which is weird to me, as I’ve never rated him in the same league as Lockett, GAJ and Dunstall. Happy to admit I could be wrong - just my impression.

Tom Hawkins looks like he can play for another 5 years. Would get close if he decides to play on for that long

Tom Hawkins looks like he can play for another 5 years. Would get close if he decides to play on for that long
I suspect Tom will hang up the boots before he enters Franklin 2023 levels of medium well done. Still leading the league for combined goals/assists this season in a pretty poor performing and depleted Cats side. He may and should go on next year but I reckon that's the latest he'd call time.

On goal numbers alone Franklin over the past year and a half has been fine. But he's been a liability just as a general player and for team synergy at times. Hawkins can't chase defenders or anything but still offers a lot as far as bringing his team mates into it and generally keeping that forward line ticking. Sydney will be better off as the kids take over even if their raw goal numbers aren't any better to begin with.

I'd love to see a comparison done where each of the greats were compared to one another based on how far ahead of their contemporaries they were in their era. Eg. go through lockets career, season by season, and compare his average goals kicked per game to the combined average of the other top 10 goalkickers that year). Then come up with some measure of how far ahead each of these forwards were ahead of the standard for their era.

Obviously, it would take a lot more thought and effort than the 60 seconds I've just given it but it would be interesting to see the results.

I suspect Franklin would come out on top because it's a massive anomaly for someone from this era to get close to 1000, let alone break through it.

Fortunately it has been done

1686311933362.png

and this was before Buddy kicked 1000 goals so his adjusted tally is higher now.

Back