[ICC WC 2003 - Super Sixes] - Australia vs New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by GoEagles
Amazing game. Watched it from start to finish and thought it was a 'wee' bit of a nailbiter at stages. I'll write my thoughts of the game tomorrow along with a classic Richie Benaudism that nobody so far has picked up on :D

was it the one about the three fat blokes waving at their 'dieticians'??

Great innings by Chris Cairns.:eek: Maybe he'll learn to shut his trap,much like Pollock may have after his comments.

NZ keep stuffing aroundwith the openers.This is about the 4th different opening pair they've used.When they played India in NZ they kept stuffing around with the openers.

I still can't work out how NZ lost that game.To have the Aussies at 7/84 and to lose by nearly 100 is embarrassing.

Originally posted by JUBJUB
Great innings by Chris Cairns.:eek: Maybe he'll learn to shut his trap,much like Pollock may have after his comments.

NZ keep stuffing aroundwith the openers.This is about the 4th different opening pair they've used.When they played India in NZ they kept stuffing around with the openers.

I still can't work out how NZ lost that game.To have the Aussies at 7/84 and to lose by nearly 100 is embarrassing.

Because they are one quality bowler short. Styris, Oran and Adams are just plodders.

They need Cairns bowling if they are to have a shot at the cup.

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
Which commentator was it that put on a Bill Lawry voice and said "That's Australian green and gold my friend" to the Kiwi, when discussing the worm graph?

Was definitely Heals!!!!

"Thats Australian Gold My friend" rolled off the tongue beautifully!!

Richie was in golden form last night!!!! plenty of laughs, cant pinpoint some of those comments he made, one in particular when Chris Cairns crashed into the boundary!!!!

The Interest intensifies when our backs are to the wall, and a few drinks and choofs along with that only serves to exceed the enjoyment!!!!!!

Originally posted by kaysee
I was thinking the same thing until I stopped and thought about it. It is generally considered that a bowler taking 5 wickets is equivilent to a batter making 100... using this guideline Bond and Lee rate above Bichel (64 & 1 wicket say equal to 80-90 runs).

It was a bowlers wicket. Therefore Bichels 64 coming in at 7-80 should rate a lot more than Bonds 6/20 on a wicket that was doing a fair bit. Lee pretty much won the game for us as when he came on to bowl NZ would still have been favourites (5/100 needing 4 an over). He turned the game by getting Fleming and then finished it off with 4 wickets in 15 balls (3 in 4 balls). I will concede that maybe Bond ahead of Lee but no way should he have won it over Bichel. Then again maybe NZ batsman should have all got MOM, the shots they got out to (the top 6 anyway) was about soft I have seen.

Originally posted by EagleBlue
It was a bowlers wicket. Therefore Bichels 64 coming in at 7-80 should rate a lot more than Bonds 6/20 on a wicket that was doing a fair bit. Lee pretty much won the game for us as when he came on to bowl NZ would still have been favourites (5/100 needing 4 an over). He turned the game by getting Fleming and then finished it off with 4 wickets in 15 balls (3 in 4 balls). I will concede that maybe Bond ahead of Lee but no way should he have won it over Bichel. Then again maybe NZ batsman should have all got MOM, the shots they got out to (the top 6 anyway) was about soft I have seen.

1st I am a HUGE Bichel fan. No way Bichel's 64 beats 6/20 no matter irrespective of the wicket. You have to look at each players repsective opposition...

- Bichel's runs all came against inferior bowlers who have been carved up in recent weeks even by the Zimbabwe tailenders.

- Bonds wickets came against 3 of the TOP 5 ranked batsmen in the world. Even if it was a bowlers pitch 3 such batsmen should be able to handle such a wicket.

Bichels innings was great fighting stuff. Hanging in there early seeing of Bond's last over, milking the 1s and 2s with Bevo while getting set and then increasing the tempo towards the end against the 2nd string bowlers.

Bonds bowling spell was amongst the best of all time against the world's best batsmen. Many of his deliveries were simply unplayable. It was truely 1 of the most inspiring bowling perfomances of all time in the WC. Better then McGraths 7 for against Namibia and almost as good as Bichels 7 for against the Poms.

Anyway I don't really care about NZ and can't wait for Australia's next game. Just after watching Bonds spell the was nothing left to do except stand up and applaud the young man, even if he is the enemy.

Thanks
SKC

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
Which commentator was it that put on a Bill Lawry voice and said "That's Australian green and gold my friend" to the Kiwi, when discussing the worm graph?
Heh. That was Heals. One of the funniest things I've heard from him in a long, long time. Cracked me up for a while.

I was midway through cursing Brett Lee and his run-a-ball 0/39 of 6.3 overs, and thinking "if we get Fleming soon, we should still win this".

Next thing you know, Fleming goes next ball and Lee has 5/42!

But I thought a real important point in the match was when Harvey and Bichel came on to bowl, and conceded only about 7 runs in 6 overs.

Originally posted by nicko18
was it the one about the three fat blokes waving at their 'dieticians'??

Yep thats the one!

In Richie's exact words "They're all waving to their dietians" after 3 men stood up wobbling their beer guts around.

Give me another 24 hours to post my game summary.

Originally posted by GoEagles
Yep thats the one!

In Richie's exact words "They're all waving to their dietians" after 3 men stood up wobbling their beer guts around.

Give me another 24 hours to post my game summary.

Actually, the whole thing went along the lines of "Well, we had 3 wides in the previous over, and now we have 3 more here, all waving to their dieticians" :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just my review on how the Australians went - specifically their batting:

Gilchrist - Looked like he was on his way to making another big score but then stumbled soon after Hayden got dismissed. Legside delivery which went against Gilly.

Hayden - Didn't look comfortable at all. Is struggling on slow South African pitches - could possibly be fatigued after a long summer.

Ponting - Bond has definately got the edge over Punter. Very cheap dismissal and would hope that he makes up for it against Kenya

Martyn - Seems to be there in stages and then has lapses in concentration. Is always a handy player to have around although can choke when the chips are down.

Lehmann - Was expecting more from Boof, but got out with Astle catching an absolute dolly.

Bevan - The master of poking and prodding the ball around the park. He stabalised the innings once again and gave Bichel the confidence he would still be around until the end.

Hogg - Great delivery... couldn't do much about that one. Was a yorker Waqar Younis would have been proud of.

Harvey - Survived the hat-trick ball but didn't stay at the party much longer after that. Bring back Symonds!

Bichel - Lifesaver with the bat and destroyed with the ball. Should have been given the MoM award IMO (although Bond did produce the best game of his career)

Lee - Power hitter at the end of the innings right when it was needed. 15 runs off 6 (?) deliveries was a sensational effort. I think he enjoyed it too!

McGrath - Did what he had to do - stayed at the non strikers end!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back