Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you uproot 8 teams who have all already quarantined from one side of Australia to another to then quarantine again with families, staff etc when you can have them stay where they are and play a finals series where the government has bent over backwards to get the season done..

You can bleat stadium and conspiracies all you like but logically its the only place it can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Because over the last months the WA Govt made it harder for the AFL than did the Qld Govt.

Just watching the replay now. Daisy and Ling in particular were basically Carlton cheer leaders.
I'm not sure how Daisy Pearce gets a gig. Surely there's a more competent (commentary-wise) AFLW player out there that can string a sentence together and provide some insight from the boundary line.

I just realised that the first sentence above applies to the entire ch7 commentary team, really.

Just watching the replay now. Daisy and Ling in particular were basically Carlton cheer leaders.

Ling: *guffaws* Geez, how much of a luxury is it to just throw the greatest superstar champion of the game forward where he's just so effective?! (P Cripps had one arsey mark, dropped 2 other sitters and didn't kick a goal)

Or

Daisy: Why wasn't that a Carlton free kick?

Ticket prices plus flights or fuel? Not likely for me.
Yeah understand.

However, you said your one real chance. I would think a trip over to Melbourne and tickets are affordable for anyone if they really wanted it. It might take some more time and effort than others to save for it. But the point remains you can buy your way in. Depends how much you want it.

For your info, last 8 years I've been to 5 GFs. Two when the eagles were in it so my Vic membership helped me get tix the others I bought. Prices ranged from 300 to 650. 2017 cost the most, Tiger supporters were doing all they could to get tix, pushed the price up.

Yeah understand.

However, you said your one real chance. I would think a trip over to Melbourne and tickets are affordable for anyone if they really wanted it. It might take some more time and effort than others to save for it. But the point remains you can buy your way in. Depends how much you want it.

For your info, last 8 years I've been to 5 GFs. Two when the eagles were in it so my Vic membership helped me get tix the others I bought. Prices ranged from 300 to 650. 2017 cost the most, Tiger supporters were doing all they could to get tix, pushed the price up.

Did you use a victorian eagles membership? how does that give you priority to buy GF tickets if eagles aren't playing?

The ruck contests seem to be causing a bit of confusion at the moment amongst the commentary box.

There was one contest between Casboult and Allen in particular where Casboult just shoved him out of the contest and didnt even throw an arm out. The ball just dropped to the ground in front of carlton goal. Free kick paid against Casboult and the commentary box just couldnt get their head round it? "Just the stronger man winning the ruck contest there".

I thought that rule was pretty self explanatory? You can't take your opposition out of the ruck contest and not even make an effort yourself to get the hitout....

The ruck contests seem to be causing a bit of confusion at the moment amongst the commentary box.

There was one contest between Casboult and Allen in particular where Casboult just shoved him out of the contest and didnt even throw an arm out. The ball just dropped to the ground in front of carlton goal. Free kick paid against Casboult and the commentary box just couldnt get their head round it? "Just the stronger man winning the ruck contest there".

I thought that rule was pretty self explanatory? You can't take your opposition out of the ruck contest and not even make an effort yourself to get the hitout....

yeah that was one where the commentary team got it wrong (and the umpires got it right).

Show of strength is great, but if you are more than a metre away from contesting the ball (either ruck or marking contest) then it is just a block. Add to that Casboult had his back to the ball it was a really obvious one.

Come on mate, Darling had him in a bearhug.
What was he supposed to do, wiggle his pinky finger?

Was a terrible decision.
Made worse by a 50 metre penalty but that's another issue.
The problem is, it isn’t even the worst one that’s been paid this round or even this game. I think even the crowd was bemused that one was paid.

I thought the Yeo one was much harsher. Immediately tackled, trying to get it out and got pinged. I suppose that bias has to be taken into account, but what else could Yeo have done.

I don’t blame the umpires; they are left to make real time decisions with so much mixed messaging as to what is correct and what isn’t. More annoyed with the AFL, who are more concerned about their own brand than the game they manage.

Why would you uproot 8 teams who have all already quarantined from one side of Australia to another to then quarantine again with families, staff etc when you can have them stay where they are and play a finals series where the government has bent over backwards to get the season done..

You can bleat stadium and conspiracies all you like but logically its the only place it can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Teams that qualify to host finals should play finals in their home state. If WCE get a home final it should be played in Perth. They can fly in (from Qld hub) with the opposing team and play against them as teams are doing now. The only difference is that they will be in quarantine rather than at home.

Same for SA. Vic teams obviously have Qld as their home state.

Grand final should be in the state that best suits the teams playing (best fan access) , which means not nominating a ground until we know who is playing. This most likely won't happen.

The problem is, it isn’t even the worst one that’s been paid this round or even this game. I think even the crowd was bemused that one was paid.

I thought the Yeo one was much harsher. Immediately tackled, trying to get it out and got pinged. I suppose that bias has to be taken into account, but what else could Yeo have done.

I don’t blame the umpires; they are left to make real time decisions with so much mixed messaging as to what is correct and what isn’t. More annoyed with the AFL, who are more concerned about their own brand than the game they manage.
The emphasis has changed from did he have time to did he try hard enough, still leaves a lot of grey area for interpretation and the umpires will get it wrong regularly, It's always been a mess, I don't know why the media are trying to build it up to a crisis.
One positive to come out of it is if you had no time and try but don't dispose of it properly the umps are more lenient, it always annoyed me that the player trying to dispose of the ball was penalised more than the one who didn't try.

Last edited:

Was a terrible decision.
I agree with the sentiment but the Laws of the Game point out that it was a contest and the tackler won. Unless the ball was pinned and there was no prior (may have been the case as it was with Yoe). Just bad umpiring generally as it is so hit and miss. Its now fish and chip wrapping though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a terrible decision.
There have been many, many HTB decisions lately where there has been no prior and no ability to realistically dispose of the ball. Why have the Vic media chosen this one to highlight?

Don’t know what the 50 m was for? I assume the Carlton player gobbed off to the umpire? Again, Ryan had a 50 m penalty paid against him last week for pointing at the umpire after a stupid free was paid. Why didn’t the Vic media question this?

I am all for consistency, but it is apparent that there isn’t any in both the umpiring and the reporting of the umpiring.

Ling: *guffaws* Geez, how much of a luxury is it to just throw the greatest superstar champion of the game forward where he's just so effective?! (P Cripps had one arsey mark, dropped 2 other sitters and didn't kick a goal)

I did love how Cripps had a massive grin on his face after taking the mark (tbf it was a good mark) then sprayed the shot from relatively straight in front

I don’t know why we are even taking about the GF being in Perth - it 100% wont happen.

It’s not on the political agenda - McGowan not only has bigger fish to fry, he’d also not risk his core Boomer support by annoying the vocal minority who will complain about ‘putting sport before OUR LIVES!’

The whole quarantine requirements which could cause immediate scheduling issues.

Not to mention the fact that we have a hard border closure that is more than likely still going to be in place in October - along with the quarantine it’ll be near impossible to have the Victorian junket fly over here in time to glad-hand at the game.

It will be in Brisbane - in fact, there is a good chance that EVERY final will be in Brisbane. Our team could easily be looking at a 9 week+ stay outside of Perth to even play in the GF.

Deal with it.
I wouldn't say it 100% won't happen (though I think it won't) the government wouldn't have wasted the time and money submitting a tender if it wasn't possible.

Part of the AFL want to play it here and part of the government want it here. It's going to come down to a money thing. We obviously have a lot to offer with a bigger and better stadium, a bigger crowd and probably better weather conditions too.

I would say queensland are in the lead as they've been more accommodating, it's less travel and the teams are already hubbed there.

How have Queensland been more accommodating BTW? Because they don’t have a hard boarder up? The AFL are spending a truckload of money in that state for the privilege of hubbing the clubs there, it’s a big win for the state for doing nothing much.

The Queensland gov hasn’t done any special favours for the AFL that I can see?

Yeah I did see that too. Made me smile.

Say what you want about the Sheed vs Cripps debate, at least sheed can hit a set shot from 30m out.

Sheed can do nothing else in his career other than that one goal on grand final day and I dont think anyone internally at the Eagles (or the fans) would regret that pick.

How have Queensland been more accommodating BTW? Because they don’t have a hard boarder up? The AFL are spending a truckload of money in that state for the privilege of hubbing the clubs there, it’s a big win for the state for doing nothing much.

The Queensland gov hasn’t done any special favours for the AFL that I can see?
Yep, they still had to quarantine for 2 weeks in Qld same as here, distance really was the only other barrier.

Yeah I did see that too. Made me smile.

Say what you want about the Sheed vs Cripps debate, at least sheed can hit a set shot from 30m out.

Sheed's always been a decent finisher around goals.
From memory in the under 18's game where he broke his collarbone he had 4 goals that day.

I actually think that the fivehead is better than most on channel 7 in terms of analysis which isn't saying much but it is still a complement, however she can't get many words in with clowns like Ling, Darcy and BT around.

The sad thing is that when Darcy was fresh out of the game and on channel 10 he wasn't that bad, it was only late in the channel 10 days that the rot started.

Sheed's always been a decent finisher around goals.
From memory in the under 18's game where he broke his collarbone he had 4 goals that day.
I remember that game. He kicked a goal from the boundary that was pretty similar to the one he kicked on GF day.

Cripps is a superstar, but finishing around goals is a clear weakness of his, especially given he rests down forward regularly.

Just watched Access All Areas on AFL website with Barrett and Lloyd. I actually don’t mind those two to be honest, grown on me.
Anyway, they showed all the frees and non frees which all seemed to go against Carlton. Thought they could’ve at least thrown that Yeo one in there or the Cameron one maybe.

Just watched Access All Areas on AFL website with Barrett and Lloyd. I actually don’t mind those two to be honest, grown on me.
Anyway, they showed all the frees and non frees which all seemed to go against Carlton. Thought they could’ve at least thrown that Yeo one in there or the Cameron one maybe.
So you want balanced reporting? 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back