Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Big difference is you don't sign a contract at most work places.
If these players want to sign long term contracts they need to honour them otherwise just sign 1 year deals each year
Is O'Meara contracted beyond October?

Is O'Meara contracted beyond October?
No but thought you were talking about the go home factor of players in general.
In Jaegers case it's a hard one. Don't think any club will offer up what GC want and even if someone does he doesn't have to go there. Can actually see this one getting ugly

Lions to lose big today and grab the number 1 pick, send him to them for a year via PSD would be worth it to make a statement and for the giggles
I'd be cool with that if it meant avoiding the spoon but the lions aren't playing ball. Pricks.

Lions to lose big today and grab the number 1 pick, send him to them for a year via PSD would be worth it to make a statement and for the giggles

Even if we finish 17th, Brisbane won't pick up O'Meara in the PSD. He doesn't want to be in Queensland. They're not picking him up knowing he doesn't want to be there.

He has to agree to go to Brisbane, which he obviously won't
If you don't trade him, he puts a figure on his head and goes into the draft
The club he wants will front-load his contract, ensuring they get him, whilst the Suns get nothing!

It's not worth it for the Suns to do this

Ask for overs, his nominated club suggest unders, and you meet somewhere in the middle!

Okay so hypthetically, O'meara nominates Essendon as his club of choice...

Aside from the PSD threat, how would essendon conduct a trade? Because I don't see us giving away pick 1/2 (whatever it will end up being, haha)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay so hypthetically, O'meara nominates Essendon as his club of choice...

Aside from the PSD threat, how would essendon conduct a trade? Because I don't see us giving away pick 1/2 (whatever it will end up being, haha)

It's difficult, and since you have recontracted many players not sure there is much to use. But you could downgrade 1 for another first, you'll have a pick for Hibberd, maybe acquire players GC want with that. Complicating factor is the relationship your recruiter has with other clubs which would make a big complex play difficult to achieve.

I just don't think we have the players to satisfy GC even if omeara chose us. I hope psd does not get used by our club as a threat. After the Carlisle stuff last year it would be hypocritical for us to use that threat.
I think pick 2 is too much for omeara.
Don't reckon Hibberd would go to GC and he isn't the type of player they need anyway.
Best I can come up with is 2017 first round and pick 20 this year.
Reckon hawthorn and Carlton are most likely.

Even if we finish 17th, Brisbane won't pick up O'Meara in the PSD. He doesn't want to be in Queensland. They're not picking him up knowing he doesn't want to be there.

You may be underselling the level of QLD frustration in retaining their players. If Brisabane get P1 and say they will recruit JOM if available, if I'm his manager I start screaming at my chosen club to stump up.

And no, offering lots of little pieces of poo just makes the offer a big pile of s**t.

Second that Foj. The pre-season threats are a bit on the nose. Although to be honest, it does feel better to be on the other side for a change. The knee is a real concern and we may not have what is required to get the deal done/ or may be unwilling to put it up anyway. JOM coming to us and playing like he did before the knee injury is a nice thought...

Why is that 'to be fair'?

Because GC knock back very good deals. Hooker is an AA Defender and GC would have got a first rounder for one player... Yet we got the difficult to deal with tag..

If any club came to them with 2 first rounders or a 1st and player. They should take it..

Carlton have already Ruled themselves out of using pick 5 on him.
Collingwood dont have a 1st rounder so would need to send an 'Elite' back which is extremely unlikely.
Richmond will be trading for Prestia

That leaves:
Bulldogs
Melbourne
Essendon
North
St Kilda
Hawthorn
Geelong

Even then, do Geelong have a first rounder this year?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back