Player Watch Jake Soligo - Showdown Medalist!

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly planned given his time on ground. Can you plan the player you’ll take off as sub and give no consideration to the team needs and performance at the time is staggering.

I’d like one journo to point this out and make a coach answer for it.

Maybe his GPS numbers had crashed towards 3/4 time? Just clutching at straws here - but it sounded good after the Mrs asked the same question. She was convinced - so I'll go with it here too.

Ultimately I think that's a good game from Soligo. I think it's easy to overrate elite ball use because it looks amazing, but to underrate just getting the ball. He's getting a lot of it, doing some very good things, some poor things, for a sub-30 game player I think that's fine and he's on the right track. Compares well with, say, Rory Sloane at the same age in his second season.
I had him among our best and was surprised he was subbed out. Thought it was an injury. I didn't want Laird going off either. The plan didn't work out.

Maybe his GPS numbers had crashed towards 3/4 time? Just clutching at straws here - but it sounded good after the Mrs asked the same question. She was convinced - so I'll go with it here too.
90% game time would do that to you for a second year player. It was planned, they intended on burning him and replacing him with fresh legs

90% game time would do that to you for a second year player. It was planned, they intended on burning him and replacing him with fresh legs
Meanwhile Sholl only had 63% TOG. Murphy only slightly higher with 66%.

And if it had worked, we’d all be saying how clever it was. Fact is it didn’t. Learn from it, and move on.

And if it had worked, we’d all be saying how clever it was. Fact is it didn’t. Learn from it, and move on.
Yeah no biggie, just another mistake we can notch up to the experts who you want us to blindly trust.

And it doesn’t take away from the point you were policing posters who were critical of subbing Soligo “but he was spent” when you knew the coaches ensured he was spent and was to be subbed.

Yeah no biggie, just another mistake we can notch up to the experts who you want us to blindly trust.

And it doesn’t take away from the point you were policing posters who were critical of subbing Soligo “but he was spent” when you knew the coaches ensured he was spent and was to be subbed.
I wasn’t ****ing policing. I was just suggesting he was spent. You confirmed that this was correct given he’d had 90% game time to 3/4 time. 🤷‍♀️. There’s nothing wrong with this as a strategy, if you have a player who can come on and make an impact. Nicks took a punt and got it wrong. Like I said hopefully he learns from this.

I wasn’t ******* policing. I was just suggesting he was spent. You confirmed that this was correct given he’d had 90% game time to 3/4 time. 🤷‍♀️. There’s nothing wrong with this as a strategy, if you have a player who can come on and make an impact. Nicks took a punt and got it wrong. Like I said hopefully he learns from this.
You were defending him being subbed as he was spent. You shortly after acknowledge it was because it was a strategy.

When he was subbed last night you said WTF he was playing well.

We lost the game because we were run over in the last and Nicks took off a player who was playing well because he run him into the ground. Meanwhile crappy players played out the game, because due to this strategy they couldn’t be replaced.

If we miss the finals due to this loss, how will you feel then? Oh well??

We’ve lost 3 games and in those 3 games Nicks and coaches have made clear errors of selection, team placements and strategy.

You might be ok with that, me, I’d expect a 4th year coach to not make rookie mistakes. It’s also why I scoff at comments you’ve made in the past, that the coaches have more intel and basically we should trust their decisions.

Think it was another frustrating 2nd bluesy game from him. Was good and bad.
He showed consistently last year that he's a very clean player with smarts and good disposal. He's still showing those signs but he's also been throwing in some very average decisions and disposals to go with it, which is not what I expect from him. Shouldn't have been subbed though.

Think his year will be next year.

You were defending him being subbed as he was spent. You shortly after acknowledge it was because it was a strategy.

When he was subbed last night you said WTF he was playing well.

We lost the game because we were run over in the last and Nicks took off a player who was playing well because he run him into the ground. Meanwhile crappy players played out the game, because due to this strategy they couldn’t be replaced.

If we miss the finals due to this loss, how will you feel then? Oh well??

We’ve lost 3 games and in those 3 games Nicks and coaches have made clear errors of selection, team placements and strategy.

You might be ok with that, me, I’d expect a 4th year coach to not make rookie mistakes. It’s also why I scoff at comments you’ve made in the past, that the coaches have more intel and basically we should trust their decisions.
How ridiculous you are sometimes. We’ve had three losses - any one of them could have made the difference. To narrow it down to one thing is just hand wringing nonsense.

This is what I expect from the clam for keays, way too harsh, I started redoing it then I realized the numbers weren’t matching up with the plays. Got to about 16
1goodNot a perfect handpass, but fine
2goodUseful link
3GoodInside to outside
4Bad*Clearish, should have done better
6GoodClean and aggressive
7greatGood mark, fine disposal, maybe a little too safe
8GoodOpened up the angles for us
9-Fine, a little untidy
10TerribleShould always kick those
11-kicked it to keays who was pointing and running
12GreatLet the player run on to it at full speed
13-A little stiff to get called for that. Got sold into it a bit by Laird.
14-Too cute. At least made up for it with the tackle
15GreatWhat more could he do
16goodNot ideal to handpass to stationary big man, but he was clear
17GoodStrong in traffic, right idea. Execution a little off or would have been great.
18GoodStrong again. Reasonable decision & execution.
19Terriblefacepalm
20-Fine
21GreatNice clearance
22BadShould have kicked it sooner and would have been really good
23-Fine
24GoodGood commitment, affected the contest with guts
25GoodGood defensive effort
26GoodQuick hands

1 * Great = 3pts
10 * Good = 10pts
8 * Fine = 0pts
3 * Bad = -3pts
3 * Terrible = -9pts

Total: 1 point.
The difference is..

I will nearly always pot the blokes that are 24-25 and older that make skill errors, bad decisions and fxxk things up.

But I’ll rarely have a go at the blokes under 22-23, and especially 20 and under like Soligo, who make mistakes and skill errors..

Its to be expected from young lads just starting out in the game.

Its not acceptable for players that have been on an AFL list for 7 or so years already to be comtinually fxxking up and displaying poor skills.

And when guys that are
32+ years old start doing it.. you know its getting close to time for them to hang up the boots.

Soligo mightve made a few mistakes and skill errors.. but he’s only 20 years old and he more often than not takes the game on without fear..

giving a very young, inexperienced kid sh*t for that, cause he makes a few mistakes in the process, is just wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How ridiculous you are sometimes. We’ve had three losses - any one of them could have made the difference. To narrow it down to one thing is just hand wringing nonsense.
And you are Mary Poppins at times.

Yes we’ve had 3 losses, poor goal kicking and poor selections and coaching. We’ve lost 1 game though by 1 point when leading by 4 goals in the last, we went too defensive and we subbed the wrong player.

But you be you Jenny and back the boys in without the ability to think for yourself.

giving a very young, inexperienced kid sh*t for that, cause he makes a few mistakes in the process, is just wrong.
Good post. Agree.

I wasn't giving Soligo shit. I genuinely found it interesting the polarity between some great looking stats and some posters with a good eye being a little negative. I wanted to make an unbiased finding for myself, and thought the board would be interested.

Definitely excited about Soligo. Was a terrible call to sub him out.

I read a few posts about Soligo's game being not as good as stats suggested, maybe 1st half especially. Thought I'd take a look.

And here's my scoring system I just made up because why not. I lost "5" somewhere.

1-Not a perfect handpass, but fine
2-Useful link
3GoodInside to outside
4BadClearish, should have done better
7-Good mark, fine disposal, maybe a little too safe
9-Fine, a little untidy
11TerribleAwful decision, bad execution
12GoodLet the player run on to it at full speed
14BadToo cute. At least made up for it with the tackle
15GoodWell done
16-Not ideal to handpass to stationary big man, but he was clear
17GoodStrong in traffic, right idea. Execution a little off or would have been great.
19Terriblefacepalm
20-Fine
21GreatNice clearance
23-Fine
26GoodQuick hands

1 * Great = 3pts
10 * Good = 10pts
8 * Fine = 0pts
3 * Bad = -3pts
3 * Terrible = -9pts

My verdict: The posters were right, game wasn't as good as numbers tell.

But am still optimistic. He can have good to great impact with his involvements. If he's able to tidy up while keeping these possession numbers, he would be a really good player.

Just watched the first disposal that you rated as fine.

Maybe re-watch what is happening, Dawson was running past on the inside calling for the handball. Soligo looks, starts to handball but realises it was the wrong option with a Collingwood player right on Dawsons tail.

This split second decision making is lacking in our side, we have a lot of dumb footballers. To "snub" the captain and find a better option out wide was good to great.

He's only played 7 games of course he will make some mistakes but he is already miles in front of Harry and Berry. He should be playing every game he possibly can.

Just watched the first disposal that you rated as fine.

Maybe re-watch what is happening, Dawson was running past on the inside calling for the handball. Soligo looks, starts to handball but realises it was the wrong option with a Collingwood player right on Dawsons tail.

This split second decision making is lacking in our side, we have a lot of dumb footballers. To "snub" the captain and find a better option out wide was good to great.

He's only played 7 games of course he will make some mistakes but he is already miles in front of Harry and Berry. He should be playing every game he possibly can.
My eye test told me that was the worst disposal game I have seen from Soligo, by far, when compared with his normal cool standard under pressure.
He was certainly attracting the ball in the contests, though. Great effort.

My eye test told me that was the worst disposal game I have seen from Soligo, by far, when compared with his normal cool standard under pressure.
He was certainly attracting the ball in the contests, though. Great effort.
It stood out because he is normally so good with his disposal & decision making.

I'm confident Soligo will return to his norm.

Good post. Agree.

I wasn't giving Soligo s**t. I genuinely found it interesting the polarity between some great looking stats and some posters with a good eye being a little negative. I wanted to make an unbiased finding for myself, and thought the board would be interested.

Definitely excited about Soligo. Was a terrible call to sub him out.
I’d be interested for you to do the same with Dawson.
I saw you rated him best but I thought his disposal was ordinary all night.

I read a few posts about Soligo's game being not as good as stats suggested, maybe 1st half especially. Thought I'd take a look.

And here's my scoring system I just made up because why not. I lost "5" somewhere.

1-Not a perfect handpass, but fine
2-Useful link
3GoodInside to outside
4BadClearish, should have done better
7-Good mark, fine disposal, maybe a little too safe
9-Fine, a little untidy
11TerribleAwful decision, bad execution
12GoodLet the player run on to it at full speed
14BadToo cute. At least made up for it with the tackle
15GoodWell done
16-Not ideal to handpass to stationary big man, but he was clear
19Terriblefacepalm
20-Fine
21GreatNice clearance
23-Fine
26GoodQuick hands

1 * Great = 3pts
10 * Good = 10pts
8 * Fine = 0pts
3 * Bad = -3pts
3 * Terrible = -9pts

My verdict: The posters were right, game wasn't as good as numbers tell.

But am still optimistic. He can have good to great impact with his involvements. If he's able to tidy up while keeping these possession numbers, he would be a really good player.

Outstanding post. Well done.

And you are Mary Poppins at times.

Yes we’ve had 3 losses, poor goal kicking and poor selections and coaching. We’ve lost 1 game though by 1 point when leading by 4 goals in the last, we went too defensive and we subbed the wrong player.

But you be you Jenny and back the boys in without the ability to think for yourself.
**** off george.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back