James Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Has been fantastic for us since he joined last season as a top up, Finished =2nd in our BnF and if round 1 is anything to go by will be right up there again this season.

Did Scott end his career too soon?? and has he done the same to Bartel? I have no doubt Kelly would get a gig in most teams in 2017, Should someone have offered Jimmy a lifeline?

Has honestly been better than I expected. However my expectations were built on him having been a role player at Geelong behind a far more talented group of players than his current teammates. Had to do a lot more heavy lifting last year (this year remains to be seen) and didn't miss a beat.

Very smart recruitment from Essendon.

change of scenery has brought out a fresher Kelly imo.
we've done pretty well with some of our cheaper recruits.
Kelly, Tippa, Hartley, McKernan, Brown, Stewart, Green, Berger.
All 8 have cost us very little and strengthened our list depth.

As for Bartel, im surprised he didn't get a gig.

Of all the older players that Geelong has moved on I think Stevie J was the only one that was genuinely misguided. Kelly has been excellent at Essendon, particularly with regards to leadership and working with the younger players, but his skill set could easily be covered by Geelong's existing players. That really wasn't the case with someone like Johnson.

don't know what they're thinking, how are they ever gonna catch the teams ahead of them by taking on players that those teams don't want anymore?

oh wait, it's not carlton? great recruiting then!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a good year in a dreadful team and looked to be rejuvenated. Will hold judgement until we see how he goes this year, however.

OP clearly hasn't taken his hand off it since the weekend. Strange thread.

Kelly is just holding back a younger player....he did his time last year picking up kicks criss crossing the ground, going backwards and sideways. He wouldn't get a game at the Cats today! His tackle count is down by half since his peak playing time and that is a significant problem...186 in 2011 compared to 86 in 2016.

Had he been retained on a one-year contract by Geelong he'd have been injury cover. Cutting him allowed Geelong to blood fresh players, which they'd have done anyway, and Kelly to play for a club with room for him.

Kelly is just holding back a younger player....he did his time last year picking up kicks criss crossing the ground, going backwards and sideways. He wouldn't get a game at the Cats today!

If I'm not mistaken his old man wanted him to go around again so he can reach 300 games plus he had a good season last year so it made sense. He'll hang them up this year imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back