Traded Lachie Hunter [Traded to Melbourne for F3]

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of Doggies supporters underrated this bloke for years. He is an athletic freak, remember reading something about his VO2 max level being off the charts. He runs all day and is very smart. Bargain basement for Melbourne. Completely baseless but my guess is we may have an issue with gambling among the playing group and we see Lachie as red flag.

Dees have close links to Bevo, hard to think we aren’t going in to this with our eyes open for the off field stuff.

Personally I’m as worried about the on field impact given his kicking and speed have both gone downhill. But if he hasn’t been fully fit it’s easy to see how he loses penetration.

I see him playing half forward and rotating to a wing and the Dees looking to maximise his ability to hit 30m short hit ups at half forward rather than long kicks on the wing.

Dees have close links to Bevo, hard to think we aren’t going in to this with our eyes open for the off field stuff.

Personally I’m as worried about the on field impact given his kicking and speed have both gone downhill. But if he hasn’t been fully fit it’s easy to see how he loses penetration.

I see him playing half forward and rotating to a wing and the Dees looking to maximise his ability to hit 30m short hit ups at half forward rather than long kicks on the wing.
i think you paid what he's worth, which is not at all what his talent ceiling would have him valued at.

They way Melbourne use the wings mostly Langdon this is by far the best fit for him, still only 27 might just need a change up.
The issue is that Melbourne seem to like Langdon on one wing and then a rotation on the other through FWD, wing & defence. Paul Connors said as much in his interview and the Demons will ask Lachie to play those multiple roles.

I’ve seen enough of Hunter to know that doesn’t work. He needs to be on the wing for 90% of the game for him to be effective to make the most of his tank and accumulation ability. He’s a very poor forward, especially around goals.

An unfit Hunter still has better endurance than 90% of AFL listed footballers. Just one of those natural running freaks.
Easton Wood at his fittest (and he was a ridiculous athlete) said his pre-season working with Hunter was the hardest he'd done, and he'd started earlier than Lachie.
The MCG suits him better than Marvel too.

The issue is that Melbourne seem to like Langdon on one wing and then a rotation on the other through FWD, wing & defence. Paul Connors said as much in his interview and the Demons will ask Lachie to play those multiple roles.

I’ve seen enough of Hunter to know that doesn’t work. He needs to be on the wing for 90% of the game for him to be effective to make the most of his tank and accumulation ability. He’s a very poor forward, especially around goals.

I would say that we do that because we lacked another genuine winger on that side of the ground, in theory Hunter fixes that issue

I lean the other way and think that although half forward doesn’t maximise his accumulation, it’s a good trade off because it reduces his transition ball stopping and the need to try and execute kicks over distance and emphasises his creative short kicking around F50.

You don't think they'll work out Hunter's best role pretty quickly ?
Well it simply depends on what you want from your two wings. If you solely want two wingmen in Langdon & Hunter to work the wings by themselves then that will be his best role. For team balance they may want to mix things up on the opposite wing to Langdon. It's not about Hunter's best role but the best role for the benefit of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back