Recommitted Lachie Neale [OOC 2023 - Will honour his contract]

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Brisbane get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would either Freo or West Coast want him, even at a discount?

Bit of an awkward situation all round. Brisbane are in their flag window and won’t want to lose him, despite functioning fine when he’s not in the team.

Would Pick 6 and change for Neale and Brisbane’s first be way off the mark? I really don’t think Freo should bother otherwise.

Gees, it feels dirty liking one of your posts but you are pretty close to being on the money there.

The issue is they are contenders right now going off their finishes the last few years. Losing Neale sets them back in the short term.

Reckon Bailey plays midfield full time as of next year, Raynor takes up his spot as a forward flanker who rotates through the middle. McCluggage will go up another gear again.

He’s undoubtedly helped the raise the standards and allowed other midfielders to develop by being ‘the man’ in their midfield for a couple of years, but I don’t think him leaving would set them back at all. They’re 7-0 without him this year.

Last edited:

Bit of an awkward situation all round. Brisbane are in their flag window and won’t want to lose him, despite functioning fine when he’s not in the team.

Would Pick 6 and change for Neale and Brisbane’s first be way off the mark? I really don’t think Freo should bother otherwise.

That's essentially a pick upgrade. Any team in a flag window that trades their best player for a pick upgrade, in a very even draft year, should drag their list manager out back to be shot.

I can't see why Freo would do this deal.

If Neale genuinely wants to return to WA, then their priority should be to wait until next year when his currency will have fallen even further. He seems like the easily disgruntled type too who when he doesn't get his way will be miserable. Let Brisbane enjoy that for 12 months and then pick him up for a song a year later.

I can't see why Freo would do this deal.

If Neale genuinely wants to return to WA, then their priority should be to wait until next year when his currency will have fallen even further. He seems like the easily disgruntled type too who when he doesn't get his way will be miserable. Let Brisbane enjoy that for 12 months and then pick him up for a song a year later.

Because they're about to lose one of their best midfield prospects, would need to wait years before any replacement is ready and this allows them to play Fyfe up forward more?

That's essentially a pick upgrade. Any team in a flag window that trades their best player for a pick upgrade, in a very even draft year, should drag their list manager out back to be shot.

Agree, but how does a trade get done?

Freo or West Coast would both take him at the right price, but that would be significantly less than Brisbane would want.

A small nuggety ball-winner is the last thing Freo need to add to their line up, and their premiership window hasn’t opened yet.

Agree, but how does a trade get done?

Freo or West Coast would both take him at the right price, but that would be significantly less than Brisbane would want.

A small nuggety ball-winner is the last thing Freo need to add to their line up, and their premiership window hasn’t opened yet.

They could have made finals this year with straight kicking. Neale instead of Cerra on their list pushes them to a finals calibre team. That's not fair. We shouldn't be boosting other teams when we're in our window. Finding the right price undoubtedly going to be tough though.

They could have made finals this year with straight kicking. Neale instead of Cerra on their list pushes them to a finals calibre team. That's not fair. We shouldn't be boosting other teams when we're in our window. Finding the right price undoubtedly going to be tough though.

The middle-band of the ladder wasn’t strong this year. They could have snuck in and been bundled out in similar fashion to Essendon in Week 1.

Reckon they’re a couple of years away, and I’m not sure adding Lachie Neale back into a midfield alongside Brayshaw and Serong accelerates their premiership chances.

I could see Brisbane’s list manager refusing his trade request.

But Fyfe is a sh*t forward. Why is that a positive for Freo?

You see more of your team than I do but I don't think he's at all a shitty forward aside from poor goal kicking which historically has only ever been an issue this year. He's legit the sort of player that tears apart a team playing forward. So hard to match up on. It gives you another marking option and a very dangerous forward stoppage option and it preserves him for the future. Fyfe being a 60/40 mid/fwd extends his career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You see more of your team than I do but I don't think he's at all a shitty forward aside from poor goal kicking which historically has only ever been an issue this year. He's legit the sort of player that tears apart a team playing forward. So hard to match up on. It gives you another marking option and a very dangerous forward stoppage option and it preserves him for the future. Fyfe being a 60/40 mid/fwd extends his career

U wot mate?

If he's a legit player that tears apart a team playing forward then please let me know when he has done it.

I love Fyfe. Legitimately. I have spent a small fortune on his Brownlow memorabilia. Not because it is worth something but because I love watching him and enjoy having it on my wall.

He is a s**t forward. A genuinely terrible forward. He can't kick for goal, he never has. You say goal kicking has only been an issue this year. Can I show you the 2013 Grand Final as further proof of s**t goal kicking?

He is an elite inside midfielder. That's where he should be played. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't watch him or is an idiot.

U wot mate?

If he's a legit player that tears apart a team playing forward then please let me know when he has done it.

I love Fyfe. Legitimately. I have spent a small fortune on his Brownlow memorabilia. Not because it is worth something but because I love watching him and enjoy having it on my wall.

He is a sh*t forward. A genuinely terrible forward. He can't kick for goal, he never has. You say goal kicking has only been an issue this year. Can I show you the 2013 Grand Final as further proof of sh*t goal kicking?

He is an elite inside midfielder. That's where he should be played. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't watch him or is an idiot.

Guess I'm an idiot. I've seen an explosive player that is very good overhead and absolutely lethal in forward stoppages.

Parker as a free agent spells disaster, a 29 year old on a 3+ year contract at 700-800k when they have talent on their list coming out of contract in the next 3 years

He’s one year older than Neale right?

Been pretty durable and still playing decent footy - pound for pound as good as Neale this year - reckon he’d be happy to forgo a massive contract to join a team in their premiership window. Even if Sydney aren’t much further behind.

Makes a fair bit of sense.

Because they're about to lose one of their best midfield prospects, would need to wait years before any replacement is ready and this allows them to play Fyfe up forward more?

I don't see it. IMO the Freo list is in need of KPFs. Cerra is a sunk cost and a 29 year old Neale doesn't replace him or solve their largest list hole. They will get Carlton's first for Cerra, they should use that pick and their own to target KPFs in the Draft and continue their rebuild path.

If Neale is desperate to leave, he will be even more so in a year's time, they (Freo) have nothing to lose by waiting.

Don't get suckered Freo, you are in the box seat here and should just sit back and wait.

You'd if the interest from Freo was only lukewarm then this would've never made made the media, or been shut down relatively quickly. The fact this is out there for a while and hasn't been shut down by his management or Freo suggests there's probably a decent amount of mutual interest there.

That trade would essentially be Neale for an 8 pick upgrade in a relatively even first round after the top 2 (excluding Darcy and Daicos).

Would Pick 6 + future 2nd for Neale and Pick 14 work?

Plenty of WA-based talent around that draft range for Freo, Lions get an early pick this year and additional pick in the 25-30 range next year.

Would Pick 6 + future 2nd for Neale and Pick 14 work?

Plenty of WA-based talent around that draft range for Freo, Lions get an early pick this year and additional pick in the 25-30 range next year.
A pick upgrade and a 2nd does absolutely nothing for Brisbane

Agreed. As I said, show me a game where he has won a game playing forward. He is one of the greats of the game but a forward, he is not.

Might be hard to show you games where he was won the game playing forward but there's plenty where he has contributed to the win by playing forward. Even this year when he was obviously playing injured and couldn't kick a goal to save himself he had 30 scoring shots at goal along with 16 contested marks, 14 take in the forward 50. Being able to give him extended time up there is a bonus. Why do you think Richmond loved to get Dusty up forward?

He’s one year older than Neale right?

Been pretty durable and still playing decent footy - pound for pound as good as Neale this year - reckon he’d be happy to forgo a massive contract to join a team in their premiership window. Even if Sydney aren’t much further behind.

Makes a fair bit of sense.
If the offer is too low, Sydney will match no way they let Parker walk for a pick around 40.

Question would you rather get Parker for free on 750k x 4 years or Tom Mitchell on 750k x 3 (Hawthorn paying 200k x 3) and Brisbane down grading their pick 14 to 21.

Back