Recommitted Lachie Neale [OOC 2023 - Will honour his contract]

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Brisbane get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Pick 6 + future 2nd for Neale and Pick 14 work?

Plenty of WA-based talent around that draft range for Freo, Lions get an early pick this year and additional pick in the 25-30 range next year.

Future First thats it imo.

If we go hard with young talent this year we can almost complete out rebuild. Neale on top of that as a mature body would be great for the loss of Cerra.

We draft a mid/fwd and a KPF in the first round.

If the offer is too low, Sydney will match no way they let Parker walk for a pick around 40.

Question would you rather get Parker for free on 750k x 4 years or Tom Mitchell on 750k x 3 (Hawthorn paying 200k x 3) and Brisbane down grading their pick 14 to 21.

Parker.

Might be hard to show you games where he was won the game playing forward but there's plenty where he has contributed to the win by playing forward. Even this year when he was obviously playing injured and couldn't kick a goal to save himself he had 30 scoring shots at goal along with 16 contested marks, 14 take in the forward 50. Being able to give him extended time up there is a bonus. Why do you think Richmond loved to get Dusty up forward?

Jesus Christ.

You're making the point for me. 30 scoring shots. How many goals?

He is a momentum killer in the forward line. Richmond loves dusty in the forward line because..... He kicks goals.

Fyfe needs to be in the middle for both his and Fremantle's sake.

Jesus Christ.

You're making the point for me. 30 scoring shots. How many goals?

He is a momentum killer in the forward line. Richmond loves dusty in the forward line because..... He kicks goals.

Fyfe needs to be in the middle for both his and Fremantle's sake.

You think he's incapable of straightening up his set shots?

You think he's incapable of straightening up his set shots?

Fyfe is the hardest worker in the room. I'm sure he has already spent a fortune on sports psychology, mechanical biologists, panther blood and all sorts of weird s**t we haven't thought of.

If he could fix his goal kicking it would be fixed by now. He's nearly 30, he is the player he is.

And I love him for it. Let him be the contested beast he is. I trust him far more taking a shot at goal breaking 4 tackles than I do with a set shot 20 metres in front on no angle.

Fyfe is the hardest worker in the room. I'm sure he has already spent a fortune on sports psychology, mechanical biologists, panther blood and all sorts of weird sh*t we haven't thought of.

If he could fix his goal kicking it would be fixed by now. He's nearly 30, he is the player he is.

And I love him for it. Let him be the contested beast he is. I trust him far more taking a shot at goal breaking 4 tackles than I do with a set shot 20 metres in front on no angle.

Fair enough. It's your team. I still see Fyfe as a very dangerous forward option.

Fair enough. It's your team. I still see Fyfe as a very dangerous forward option.

That's ok, I'm yet to see any evidence to change my opinion. People who don't watch him every week see his overhead marking and say he must be able to be a forward.

There is a WA Podcast that used to be good before they brought on a 3rd wheel who is a complete ******* that kept banging on about Fyfe being a forward. That he would solve our problem of not spending draft capital on actual forwards.

Even they have resigned themselves to the fact that Fyfe can't play forward. I just don't see it.

And to bring this back around to Lachie Neale, it's not a good fit for either team. Cerra out hampers us significantly. Neale does not make that exit better.

You'd be happy paying 750k for a 33 year old with no way to move his contract around with the amount of young talent on your list?

Yep. Parker will be cheaper than Neale and while not as good has proven to be a decent forward. We get 2-3 years of him in the midfield then he becomes a 70/30 fwd/mid before going to pasture. Take the savings and give them to our young talent.

Future First thats it imo.

If we go hard with young talent this year we can almost complete out rebuild. Neale on top of that as a mature body would be great for the loss of Cerra.

We draft a mid/fwd and a KPF in the first round.

We have a potential number 1 pick father son next year, so future first is of minimal value for us.

That's ok, I'm yet to see any evidence to change my opinion. People who don't watch him every week see his overhead marking and say he must be able to be a forward.

There is a WA Podcast that used to be good before they brought on a 3rd wheel who is a complete ******* that kept banging on about Fyfe being a forward. That he would solve our problem of not spending draft capital on actual forwards.

Even they have resigned themselves to the fact that Fyfe can't play forward. I just don't see it.

And to bring this back around to Lachie Neale, it's not a good fit for either team. Cerra out hampers us significantly. Neale does not make that exit better.

It's not just his overhead marking, though that obviously is great and if he's taking the third defender look out, but he's so good at forward stoppages. We're obviously not gonna agree so each to their own.

I think Neale out makes the Cerra exit a lot easier since it pushes you to finals and allows Brayshaw and Serong freedom from a tag as the continue to develop to elite midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just his overhead marking, though that obviously is great and if he's taking the third defender look out, but he's so good at forward stoppages. We're obviously not gonna agree so each to their own.

I think Neale out makes the Cerra exit a lot easier since it pushes you to finals and allows Brayshaw and Serong freedom from a tag as the continue to develop to elite midfielders.

Sure, but the most important part of being a forward has to be kicking goals? He has shown he can't.

I disagree that Neale coming in makes losing Cerra easier. Serong tends to tag and isn't known to get that and Brayshaw has shown that he can not only work through tags but beat them.

I agree that Neale probably pushes us closer to finals but I'm not really interested in making finals. I want us to win a flag. Our club seems so focused on short term gains to appease the media / members / themselves that they don't build out a balanced list. We don't seem to gain access to free hits in NGA / Father son / priority draft picks.

We continually do dumb things like being in players just because they are from WA. We refuse to draft forwards for some unknown reason despite games of AFL being decided by which team kicks the most goals.

I have serious concerns that my club will do something really dumb this trade period and pay close to market value for a very good player in Lachie Neale who is a player we do not need in our current list management cycle.

contracts aren’t worth as much these days. As you should understand considering how the Brad hill thing played out.

Yes I do. But we created it by front ending the contract. Allowing Hill to play us without any accountability. The club(s) need to take some control back.

Sure, but the most important part of being a forward has to be kicking goals? He has shown he can't.

I disagree that Neale coming in makes losing Cerra easier. Serong tends to tag and isn't known to get that and Brayshaw has shown that he can not only work through tags but beat them.

I agree that Neale probably pushes us closer to finals but I'm not really interested in making finals. I want us to win a flag. Our club seems so focused on short term gains to appease the media / members / themselves that they don't build out a balanced list. We don't seem to gain access to free hits in NGA / Father son / priority draft picks.

We continually do dumb things like being in players just because they are from WA. We refuse to draft forwards for some unknown reason despite games of AFL being decided by which team kicks the most goals.

I have serious concerns that my club will do something really dumb this trade period and pay close to market value for a very good player in Lachie Neale who is a player we do not need in our current list management cycle.

What does Freo need?

Literally the easiest thing to correct on a forward but okay.

So you don't expect Serong to improve and teams to target him? Awesome that Brayshaw is fine with being tagged, no chance they won't target someone else in the midfield.

Gotta make finals to win flags. I'm not trying to sell you on Neale, I'd rather keep him but he makes you a finals team and doesn't compromise a whole lot in terms of your future development. We're not gonna push you finals for nothing.

I don't know anything about this.

Probably. Just don't come gloating about how good he is if you become a final team.

Lachie Neale clearly a better player now then when he left the Dockers.

He’s also 29 next year and has had back and syndesmosis issues this year. End of first round pick is the most I would be offering. Not exactly an area of need for Fremantle even once Cerra departs.

Ultimately Brisbane run the risk of having a disgruntled player on their list if they don’t trade him. It works, sometimes.

Back