List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Big Boy - but the difference in service to our midfielders and their ability to control the game this year has been very different with Reeves in the ruck versus when Reeves has been injured. I’m surprised people still doubt Reeves’ ability to be our primary ruck.
I agree on performance. I am bullish on Reeves. Durability is a concern though. Primary ruck is one of the toughest physical gigs in footy - it's why it takes most players well into their 20s to reach their peak. Can he hold the role down physically for full seasons? That is the bigger question than ability.

I don't need to know McStay - I can do the numbers. He has averaged (marginally) more games per season over his playing career than has Gunston, despite Gunston playing in more finals series. McStay has a dependable body and more tread on the tyres. We love Gunston and know he can still turn it on but it is no secret that he has a history of major pack problems and they tend to be recurrent. That risk has to be factored into his contract.
Absolutely dishonest post. Apart from last year, and Gunstons two years at Adelaide (where he was not an established player), Gunston has averaged over 20 games a season v McStay (ignoring his first year of only 9 games) has averaged 18.5 games. Even adding in last year, Gunston still averages 19 games a season, which is more than McStay. You really suck at numbers and should feel bad.

Whether he goes now or in a couple of years I think it's worthwhile thinking about where we'd be without he and Punky this year. It's been so handy having their presence. Huge job for the club to replace them.
Yep. I keep seeing ‘get 2 mids and we’ll be right’. Take Gunston and Breust out of our forward line (and chad as well) - which is a reality in next 2-3 years (or less) - and it looks pretty grim. It’s not just the goals kicked and score involvements it’s also the level of opposition attention they get. We need to fix the midfield but forward line also needs serious work.

Yep. I keep seeing ‘get 2 mids and we’ll be right’. Take Gunston and Breust out of our forward line (and chad as well) - which is a reality in next 2-3 years (or less) - and it looks pretty grim. It’s not just the goals kicked and score involvements it’s also the level of opposition attention they get. We need to fix the midfield but forward line also needs serious work.
We need improvement on all lines - that should be plain for all to see now.

It’s not like there’s a magic couple of draft picks, trades or free agents which will shoot us back into finals contention.

A genuine gorilla defender (Blanck is handy but he’s no Brian Lake), some pace in our forward line and better defensive mindset in our midfield.

We need to ditch some of our 7 running / 3rd man up HBFs who can’t / won’t defend and get a couple of old school back an who don’t crave the freedom of playing loose.

A genuine gorilla defender (Blanck is handy but he’s no Brian Lake), some pace in our forward line and better defensive mindset in our midfield.

He’s the same height as Lake, almost as heavy and has never done an AFL pre-season. Perhaps give him a bit more time before writing off his chances as being a gorilla defender - he’s the closest prospect we’ve had in a while.

We need to ditch some of our 7 running / 3rd man up HBFs who can’t / won’t defend and get a couple of old school back an who don’t crave the freedom of playing loose.
'Old school' is exactly right. Not sure it's the way forward.

I wouldn't be trading out any of our running defenders with the way the game is trending.

I agree on performance. I am bullish on Reeves. Durability is a concern though. Primary ruck is one of the toughest physical gigs in footy - it's why it takes most players well into their 20s to reach their peak. Can he hold the role down physically for full seasons? That is the bigger question than ability.
Worth remembering that he came back from a bung shoulder and played out the season** despite needing surgery.

** until we decided it was time to get him right for 2023.

watching the ball constantly waltz out of our forward line is incredibly frustrating - we really need someone who can apply some forward pressure
The delivery inside 50 on Sunday was yuck!

Shallow entries, with no intention to hit a target or kick to space.

Macdonald, Butler & Brockman (fingers crossed) could be the new version of breust, poppy & jnr.

watching the ball constantly waltz out of our forward line is incredibly frustrating - we really need someone who can apply some forward pressure
Gee we were blessed with Cyril, Puopolo and a much younger Breust. Not only were all them 3 so good at contributing to the scoreboard but there footy smarts, their leg speed and the relentless pressure and tackling they applied was so valuable. Good times they were.

He’s the same height as Lake, almost as heavy and has never done an AFL pre-season. Perhaps give him a bit more time before writing off his chances as being a gorilla defender - he’s the closest prospect we’ve had in a while.

More than that as well, Lakey took a lot of games to come good and become and out and out star in the back line for the Doggies.

He was pretty poor in his first 50 games. Blanck has been remarkably assured for someone so early in his professional development.

If anyone offers us a top 30 pick for Mitchell, Jaeger, Chad or Gunston that should immediately be taken.

Obviously you wouldn’t move all 4 at once but one or two for draft picks helps our draft hand and rebuild significantly.
Of the 4, Chad would have the highest value.

But I'm definitely keeping him & Gunston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the 4, Chad would have the highest value.

But I'm definitely keeping him & Gunston.
Why? Chad’s the 1st one I would move. Has done bugger all since we recruited him - shown flashes but been injured most of the time. He’s not the kind of player you need in a rebuild- more the cherry on top for a contending side…

I actually think we missed a trick not moving him last year when GWS were showing interest…

Gee we were blessed with Cyril, Puopolo and a much younger Breust. Not only were all them 3 so good at contributing to the scoreboard but there footy smarts, their leg speed and the relentless pressure and tackling they applied was so valuable. Good times they were.
While I agree with your message, I find it intriguing that you use two versions of 'there' and 'their' in the same sentence, to mean the same thing.

Why? Chad’s the 1st one I would move. Has done bugger all since we recruited him - shown flashes but been injured most of the time. He’s not the kind of player you need in a rebuild- more the cherry on top for a contending side…

I actually think we missed a trick not moving him last year when GWS were showing interest…
I'm keeping Chad to assist Breust as the perfect mentor for MacDonald, Butler, Brockman & Saunders.

But if a top 15 pick was offered again, hawks are having the chat with Chad.

Our forward line needs experienced heads to do the hand over.

Gunston, Breust & Wingard for next 2 seasons.

More than that as well, Lakey took a lot of games to come good and become and out and out star in the back line for the Doggies.

He was pretty poor in his first 50 games. Blanck has been remarkably assured for someone so early in his professional development.
Blanck seems to have the competitve attitude (hates losing), composure with the ball and size/frame required. Just struggled matching lynch when he ran and jumped at ball (which is not easy). Blanck seems to have decent speed but possibly lacks any leap? Needs a few big preseasons.

What were we meant to do? Kidnap and fold him up into a post pack?

Blanck seems to have the competitve attitude (hates losing), composure with the ball and size/frame required. Just struggled matching lynch when he ran and jumped at ball (which is not easy). Blanck seems to have decent speed but possibly lacks any leap? Needs a few big preseasons.
Just needs match day experience, his just come off the mid season draft, the aggressiveness is what I want to see improve tho

He was contracted and said no. Agree a trade would have been ideal, but nothing more the club could have done.

Didn't (according to the story) Clarko only approach scum yesterday?

Gunston hasn't signed all year.

Maybe Gunston to scum was always on & he's orchestrated it so Clarko actually follows him?

The old player-follow-coach-follow-player trick!
Jimmy Fallon Genius GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
All for that swap for Harrison Jones or Cox .

Just needs match day experience, his just come off the mid season draft, the aggressiveness is what I want to see improve tho
Reckon blanck needs to sit in sic's pocket all summer and learn the dark arts of body positioning and moving a player in the contest.

That is why we will need another ruck/fwd option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back