Luke Hodge vs the Balding Flog - Is There a Bigger Knob than Damien Barrett?

Remove this Banner Ad

His apology article on the AFL website is just embarrassing. What is the point of his job? The world would be a slightly better place without him in it.

It's next level stupid. It's like he thinks his opinion holds weight to something. No one gives a s**t, and most of it is clickbait.

Unfortunately when players snap back, it gives him and Hutchy a boner.

Best thing would be if more players waged a 'Barrett is a knob' crusade to f*ck him off.

OK, so we both agree that the in-game interviews were a bad idea, and that Barrett was being completely fair and reasonable to call them out as such?

And we both probably agree that Barrett missed nailing the right target by having a crack at the bloke whose face was on the telly, rather than his club? Sure, you, me and Barrett all know that Hodge would not have been able to have those interviews without the permission of Lions management, so Barrett should have known better. And yeah, he could have handled that better, but that’s just fluff on the periphery of the core issue ...

... the core issue is that in-game interviews are a daft idea and Barrett was doing us all a favour if his words contribute to it never happening again.

Labelling Barrett a “tool” simply because he blamed for the farce the bloke whose face was on the telly rather than his club ... is just fueled by the narrative that our mate Hodgey is a likeable bloke we’d all like to have a beer with, and Barrett is not.

Hair, Camel, Back...

You're completely missing the point.

I saw the interviews... they weren't good, particularly the one where he was getting treatment. But that's on channel 7 and The Lions. Not Luke Hodge. Barrett has directly had a go at Hodge and framed it in a way that he was trying to further his media career to the detriment of his footy. That's just bollocks. Typical headline grabbing crappy Barrett Journalism.

Guy's a tool.
Yeah just ******* hilarious that this guy watched that and actually sat there and believed four time premiership winning captain Luke Hodge cares more about furthering a media career than his footy career.

Completely out of touch with reality.

Sincere question ...

... were you happy to see Hodge doing an in-game interview? Or did you find yourself wishing that he concentrated on the game at hand and maybe talk to the reporters afterwards?

That’s certainly what I would have been thinking if it had involved Pendlebury instead. All the more so if we were getting beaten at the time.
Instantly the moment I watched it I formed the opinion it was another one of these things forced on the players by their club in order to meet TV commitments.

"Irregardless" is not a word, regardless means the exact same thing.

Some words in the English language are so overused that we don't notice that they are incorrector don't even exist. A perfect example is irregardless. Many scholars maintain there is no such word as irregardless because regardless already means “without regard.” The -ir prefix is redundant.

The moment I read this i thought they were going to have a field day with you. Looks like you got off lightly!

This. It would have to be the most mistakenly used word on BigFooty as well.

irregardless of that Barrett is a still a flog so lets all tow the line and agree the point is mute;)

Making sense yet?

He even apologizes like a knob:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-21/barrett-hodgey-i-was-wrong-but-not-about-the-mike

"Regarding the Sliding Doors column I wrote last Friday on AFL.com.au, at which Hodge bristled and called me a "knob" … fair enough, Hodgey. I was a knob, whatever definition you which to attach to that word.

I did use the phrase "well-paid contract" to describe your dealings with Channel Seven. That was wrong. Repeat … wrong. And Hodgey, I do here apologise for that, as I did on the Sunday Footy Show, and would have done on Triple M on Saturday if you at some stage had taken your eyes off the notes in front of you in your too-long rant.

What I wrote was poorly worded. And I do get why you got so worked up.

What I should have said was that you had "financial arrangements" with Channel Seven, given you have been very well paid by that network in the past and will again get paid by it in 2019.

You effectively co-hosted Channel Seven's Sunday afternoon coverage in round four this year, will do so again at least one more time in 2019, and may well become a key focus of that network's broadcast in 2020 – as it wanted you to do in 2018 when it thought you were retiring – if you do actually retire this season.

There's 17 matches remaining in 2019, and the Lions, after a blistering start, have come back to the pack after two dreadful losses.

They need Hodge to cover for Andrews, and get them back into finals possibilities.

Hodgey, you're an all-time great, an instant Hall Of Famer, and on my vote a straight-in Legend. But you've chosen to play THIS year, so play. Ditch the TV mikes, at least until Andrews returns."

Reads like someone who thinks they have the moral high ground, but is really just a sanctimonious narcissist
Started out contrite but then lost his way because he still reckons he was right. Dickhead.

And let's face it Barrett knows far better than Luke Hodge how to conduct himself in a football club

Last edited:
https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl...risbane-collingwood/65084aaipt4l1nnshjkst4fdr

"The pair of footy heavyweights have been trading barbs of late and it's getting pretty spicy."

Hodge, 4x premiership player, multiple AA, dual Norm Smith medallist and 3 x premiership captain.
Barrett, a small man with a pen and who, somehow, has an undeserved platform to spout s**t from.

yet apparently they are both considered "footy heavyweights"... what the actual f***?

Something these bathwater mainlining flog "journalists" forget is that without the players they don't have a job... but the players will remain if the journalists disappeared. Incredibly disrespectful to put them on equal footing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least he didn't get his start based off his old man's name. That's about all I've got to rank him slightly above "can I just ask you guys a question" McClure.
I assume that you are being sarcastic and know that mark and sam are not related and even have a different spelling of surnames??

Re thread title, never ceases to amaze me how blokes abuse other blokes by calling them 'balding'.

Kind of knob-like, I reckon.

Barrett only broke the biggest story the game has ever seen (Essendon drug saga).

A lot more opinion based stuff these days though, no doubt with Hutchy pushing him that way. Why’s he still employed? Even though people keep saying he’s a knob, clearly a lot are still reading his articles.

He got some tip off & took all the credit? Seriously, the bloke is a lazy news writer, I refuse to call him a journalist. He should write columns about MAFS on news.com.

Nick McKenzie & Richard Baker did all the heavy lifting with regard to the Essendon story, meanwhile Purple slung emotive crap.

I agree on your last point. I wish people would stop reading his rubbish so it wouldn’t get published.

The moment I read this i thought they were going to have a field day with you. Looks like you got off lightly!

This. It would have to be the most mistakenly used word on BigFooty as well.

irregardless of that Barrett is a still a flog so lets all tow the line and agree the point is mute;)

Making sense yet?

Some targets are just too easy.

"Irregardless" is not a word, regardless means the exact same thing.

Some words in the English language are so overused that we don't notice that they are incorrector don't even exist. A perfect example is irregardless. Many scholars maintain there is no such word as irregardless because regardless already means “without regard.” The -ir prefix is redundant.
Whoosh. I wonder where they towed the line away too? It’s all mute anyway as you didn’t get it.

I just wish they’d managed to also throw an of in there in place of a have.

Hodge 4 flags and great Captain and is having a positive effect on the lions

Barrett’s achievements ....lol

End of conversation

The problem I see is muppets like him and John Ralph almost pretend they are events of the game ....they think we like them and respect them...there is few journalists that write great articles

But ralph and Barrett are muppets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back