Traded Matthew Kennedy [traded to Carlton]

Remove this Banner Ad

Even trade in the end. If the 28 hadn’t come our way the trade would still have got done. GWS never pushed for the 2018 2nd, so may have taken unders this time. See GWS next year

Hes a steal at 28. Something doesnt seem right when you lose 50% value when it clocks up 16 games in a top 4 side to go to a bottom 4 side. I hope this is the last time we play nice in this scenario, i would of sent him to the draft, nothing against Matt but more somebody else.

Wasn't it because GWS didn't even offer him a contract? That in itself diminishes his value more than usual.

Kennedy recorded a welcome video and mentioned it was disappointing not to get a contract from GWS...so really he didn't have a choice and was almost pushed out. Under those circumstances pick 28 is decent.

Wasn't it because GWS didn't even offer him a contract? That in itself diminishes his value more than usual.

Kennedy recorded a welcome video and mentioned it was disappointing not to get a contract from GWS...so really he didn't have a choice and was almost pushed out. Under those circumstances pick 28 is decent.

You asked for him last year. We cant match the $$$ being thrown around by some Vic clubs at the minute.

Not reallyy GWS got first round picks for all of those trades except Kennedy trade which was not multi-player this time.

Its just good to see the Blues being player-specific now rather than bringing in about 10 players every year. Shows we have almost settled on a list to move forward with.
The plowman one we also got pick 8 soooo .. win.
A first round for marchbank and Pickett is a win in my eyes and that pick for Kennedy is robbery for gws almost kids a gun

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hes a steal at 28. Something doesnt seem right when you lose 50% value when it clocks up 16 games in a top 4 side to go to a bottom 4 side. I hope this is the last time we play nice in this scenario, i would of sent him to the draft, nothing against Matt but more somebody else.

His cost to GWS though was actually just picks 34 & 40 in matching a bid.

I would like to see the interview. Not on your website, or at least I couldn't find it. I dont follow oppo clubs twitter feeds, and if yours is anything lije hours they pop up on twitter and then the website after a delay.

Our clubs not going to denigrate him in public so we'll never know from them. Leon did say clearly at our awards that all three looking to leave could be back with us next year. He's very measured in what he says and doesn't bullshit. Not saying Bam Bam's bullshitting either, just that we would have had it come to that.
Last year Steele left, probably because first year players Hopper and Bam Bam were getting games in front of him. This year you'd think first year players Taranto and Setterfield were a factor.
He didn't play 16 games this year because we thought he was rubbish, that much is clear

GWS got a 2nd round pick for a player that wasn't going to get a game in comparison Geelong getting a fourth round pick for a player that wasn't going to get a game - both former first round picks. I think GWS should be quiet and walk away smiling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see the interview. Not on your website, or at least I couldn't find it. I dont follow oppo clubs twitter feeds, and if yours is anything lije hours they pop up on twitter and then the website after a delay.

Our clubs not going to denigrate him in public so we'll never know from them. Leon did say clearly at our awards that all three looking to leave could be back with us next year. He's very measured in what he says and doesn't bullshit. Not saying Bam Bam's bullshitting either, just that we would have had it come to that.
Last year Steele left, probably because first year players Hopper and Bam Bam were getting games in front of him. This year you'd think first year players Taranto and Setterfield were a factor.
He didn't play 16 games this year because we thought he was rubbish, that much is clear

No surprise you couldn't find it...it's some quick amateur video done in Wagga lol. Probably fitting with Kennedy's chill personality.
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/s...carlton-and-giants-agree-to-deal-video/?cs=12

He doesn't actually say it in the video, but there is this quote in the article:

After being squeezed out at GWS due to the re-signings of Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield and Jacob Hopper, he has learnt the world of AFL football is a business.

“I was a bit disappointed there was no contract from the Giants but at the end of the day it is a business and they have got to look after themselves,” he said.

“I understand where they’re coming from and have no hard feelings to the Giants and am looking forward to going to Carlton.”

So yeah, pick 28 is decent return under these circumstances where it seems GWS ultimately didn't offer him a contract...probably couldn't afford him after all your re-signings of Whitfield, Hopper & Kelly, plus prioritised other youngsters like Taranto & Setterfield ahead of him.

No surprise you couldn't find it...it's some quick amateur video done in Wagga lol. Probably fitting with Kennedy's chill personality.
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/s...carlton-and-giants-agree-to-deal-video/?cs=12

He doesn't actually say it in the video, but there is this quote in the article:

After being squeezed out at GWS due to the re-signings of Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield and Jacob Hopper, he has learnt the world of AFL football is a business.

“I was a bit disappointed there was no contract from the Giants but at the end of the day it is a business and they have got to look after themselves,” he said.

“I understand where they’re coming from and have no hard feelings to the Giants and am looking forward to going to Carlton.”

So yeah, pick 28 is decent return under these circumstances where it seems GWS ultimately didn't offer him a contract...probably couldn't afford him after all your re-signings of Whitfield, Hopper & Kelly, plus prioritised other youngsters like Taranto & Setterfield ahead of him.
Tks for the link, it's very in character.
Still think he was worth a bit more, but it was the right trade result.

At days end GWS have significantly better players at this point of time on their list, you can swing it any way you want but it's a salary dump at days end as was the Wilson trade.

At days end GWS have significantly better players at this point of time on their list, you can swing it any way you want but it's a salary dump at days end as was the Wilson trade.
Wilson was not a salary dump. Keeping him was our best option. You could maybe make that argument for Smith. Even then it's not a salary dump as such, we offerrled him less and he chose to leave.

Haha Blues

if7mu0.jpg

What's the ceiling for this bloke? I'm not expecting a megastar, but in play style is he a bit Jordan Lewis? (Solid body, not quick, saw some left foot goals in highlights package!)
He doesn't have the legspeed or the silky skills to be a Shiel or a Kelly. I think he'll always be primarily an inside player. He is very willing and tough around the contest, and will throw his body around in the clearances all day, and effectively. He can also kick goals resting forward.

In terms of results on the field I think it's a close call between him and Hopper as to who was our best developing inside mid. Club made a call for Hopper, possibly on potential.

Hard to say how he'll develop but he will get better with experience obviously. He seems a pretty unassuming character and the sort of bloke who'll do his job as best he can, and fit in around the club with no huge ego.

Haha Blues

if7mu0.jpg

I seriously love this bloke more and more by the second. Seems to have a great sense of humour and doesn't take himself too seriously.

Yet on the footy field he's tough, hard, and skilled. And his nickname is awesome.

GWS knew they had better players to win now, and plenty to keep them successful for a long time, so let him leave to go elsewhere. But for a rebuilding club, he seems the perfect type to build a club around

He doesn't have the legspeed or the silky skills to be a Shiel or a Kelly. I think he'll always be primarily an inside player. He is very willing and tough around the contest, and will throw his body around in the clearances all day, and effectively. He can also kick goals resting forward.

In terms of results on the field I think it's a close call between him and Hopper as to who was our best developing inside mid. Club made a call for Hopper, possibly on potential.

Hard to say how he'll develop but he will get better with experience obviously. He seems a pretty unassuming character and the sort of bloke who'll do his job as best he can, and fit in around the club with no huge ego.

If you talk ceiling, i think if he reaches his absolute max potential he could be as good as Rory Sloane.
Very similar build and play style, even appear quite similar personality types in terms of being quite laid back, nice guys.

Kennedy has shown to be tough, a willing worker, but is also quite a good mark and can kick a goal - traits that make Sloane a star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back