Meet Up Meet Matthew Richardson at the club

Remove this Banner Ad

The Third Secret of Alberton revealed!

No, not that we will be renamed Southern Power
Not that we will extend Ken Hinkley's contract

The Third Secret says:

"In Port Adelaide Football Club the dogma of the Faith will always be preserved"

It can be clearly deduced from this that outside the walls of the Club this faith is going to become obscure or even lost altogether - as has already been forebode by the venerable Fr Michelangelo Rucci

Whilst I didn't agree with what was said at times, it actually was really good and would thoroughly recommend going if another opportunity arises in the future.
Were you asked to not speak about what was discussed?

Only a couple of things. Most of what we discuss on BF was brought up in one form or another, on field performance, coaching, language, co-captains, perception, off field leadership, the Board etc.
Any action coming from it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks to Rick and the club for providing this opportunity. I think each of those who attended will have their own impressions so this is purely my personal perspective, and I am conscious to get something up quickly while respecting that it was a full and frank discussion on both sides.

My takeaways;
(My view) The club is absolutely sincere in trying to understand and address the disconnect with members. As well as Matthew Richardson and Stephen Shirley, KT attended for the whole session and CD stepped out of another appointment to join us for a time. There was also an independent professional (psych?) that captured the discussion and will advise the club I think. The meeting went almost two hours rather than the planned 1 hour session.

While I don’t post much on BF I do generally read posts, and I feel that most big ticket items got an airing as well as REH “little things” theme.

To me a key outcome was a likely renewed focus on the language and positioning of what values the club stands for, the direction we are heading, and the strategy we are taking to get there. We would maybe have more trust in the club if we could clearly understand and then judge how club decisions fit within that framework. While it sounds a bit wishy washy as I write it, this was an important discussion I think. It included wide ranging whiteboard notes including;
  • Football department – Game plan, player management, coaching group alignment, head coach tenure etc. We acknowledged the head coach issue for members but it was not the focus of the session.
  • Misaligned self generated public posturing - Examples “little battler club”, language that AFL is a hard task with the implication we should be happy just to be to be a part of it, member disquiet called “white noise”, social media dept. making light of our losses, “playing the youf”, underwhelming thanks to Matthew Broadbent.
  • This discussion contrasted with our view of traditional Port Adelaide values as a family that will take on the world and expect to win. We reflected that members were feeling almost outside the circle of trust instead of a key part of the family (my interpretation). Our posturing should be confident bordering on arrogance, rather than the almost apologetic flavour that colours the club currently.
  • Playing/coaching performance and values. Watering down our mission statement from the singular we expect to win to include community pride, lack of traditional PA response within and post games (e.g. North Melbourne game) that questions the resilience and heart of the paying group inc coaches. Lacklustre performance at AO home games, and captaincy/leadership including Co-captains and broader leadership in the playing group. Not living The Creed.
There was a lot more that other more experienced posters will provide I am sure and a bit that is not for broader publication, but I came away confident the club will move to try and address the concerns raised, and that there is a plan they are currently working to even if I can’t see it clearly. The proof will be in the pudding going forwardand I actually look forward to seing some response.

Thanks to Rick and the club for providing this opportunity. I think each of those who attended will have their own impressions so this is purely my personal perspective, and I am conscious to get something up quickly while respecting that it was a full and frank discussion on both sides.

My takeaways;
(My view) The club is absolutely sincere in trying to understand and address the disconnect with members. As well as Matthew Richardson and Stephen Shirley, KT attended for the whole session and CD stepped out of another appointment to join us for a time. There was also an independent professional (psych?) that captured the discussion and will advise the club I think. The meeting went almost two hours rather than the planned 1 hour session.

While I don’t post much on BF I do generally read posts, and I feel that most big ticket items got an airing as well as REH “little things” theme.

To me a key outcome was a likely renewed focus on the language and positioning of what values the club stands for, the direction we are heading, and the strategy we are taking to get there. We would maybe have more trust in the club if we could clearly understand and then judge how club decisions fit within that framework. While it sounds a bit wishy washy as I write it, this was an important discussion I think. It included wide ranging whiteboard notes including;
  • Football department – Game plan, player management, coaching group alignment, head coach tenure etc. We acknowledged the head coach issue for members but it was not the focus of the session.
  • Misaligned self generated public posturing - Examples “little battler club”, language that AFL is a hard task with the implication we should be happy just to be to be a part of it, member disquiet called “white noise”, social media dept. making light of our losses, “playing the youf”, underwhelming thanks to Matthew Broadbent.
  • This discussion contrasted with our view of traditional Port Adelaide values as a family that will take on the world and expect to win. We reflected that members were feeling almost outside the circle of trust instead of a key part of the family (my interpretation). Our posturing should be confident bordering on arrogance, rather than the almost apologetic flavour that colours the club currently.
  • Playing/coaching performance and values. Watering down our mission statement from the singular we expect to win to include community pride, lack of traditional PA response within and post games (e.g. North Melbourne game) that questions the resilience and heart of the paying group inc coaches. Lacklustre performance at AO home games, and captaincy/leadership including Co-captains and broader leadership in the playing group. Not living The Creed.
There was a lot more that other more experienced posters will provide I am sure and a bit that is not for broader publication, but I came away confident the club will move to try and address the concerns raised, and that there is a plan they are currently working to even if I can’t see it clearly. The proof will be in the pudding going forwardand I actually look forward to seing some response.
Thanks for the summary. You should post more often. Will be particularly interested in your view down the track as to whether you feel the walk has matched the talk.

It was a fuller and franker meeting than I expected. That's why I didn't post anything last night. I wanted to think about it.

I expected a lot more non on-field/footy department issues to be discussed because I thought we would get bogged down with stuff that cant be changed. But having KT there, probably changed the whole agenda.

At times, it would have been uncomfortable listening for our staff members.

KT, Richo and Steve Shirley turned up plus a member of the footy club who I think works in physcology or maybe marketing who was taking a lot of notes, and helped facilitate the event, and got us back on track, by asking us all to explain certain words, or phrases we used and what we meant by them. Richo was writing key words, phrases up on the board and over the 2 hours he went back to some of them and linked them up with the current discussion. Chris Davies sat in for 15-20 minutes as he had a prior engagement.

I have no doubt a report will get written about the meeting and the issues raised. Who sees it and how much change it drives, is to be determined I guess.

We were told a few things in private re footy issues and asked to keep them within the room, so I will.

Respectful discussions about what Koch and Ken say and do, that we don't like, was put forward. None of the 3 guys who work for the club had any doubt about what we felt, but there wasn't any ranting.

The club is aware of its list issues, as we discussed the hole in that 24-27 year group. The club is concentrating on developing the guys 23 or less to fill that hole over the next couple of years.

I can tell the club is grappling with high expectations. It loves the fact we have them, but when we don't deliver and the industry is so different to those of us who saw all the Magpies success, (and all attendees saw plenty of that), how do they keep the message going that we are pushing hard to achieve our goals, but not divulge the club's IP and thinking that would hurt it.

EternalOptimist has covered the main issues we discussed adequately so I wont repeat them.

There was no silver bullet last night!

Thanks to FishingRick04 for organising this, and for club officials, KT, Richo, Steve Shirley and CD, and I enjoyed the discussions with those who made it, some I have known for a while, some who I met for the first time.

My takeaways;

Thankyou EternalOptimist and to all that made the time to attend

Good synopsis and good to see the club taking it seriously

Well done FishingRick04

Remove this Banner Ad

Back