Minor things that annoy you about the game

Remove this Banner Ad

That's interstate you expect this. In Victoria - NO. We pay good money for 17game membership on the understanding that you probably do not go to interstate, imagine the whining from Geelong if situations were reversed.
But that's your club's problem for selling a membership that may not be always feasible. Surely nothing to do with Geelong try to play a home game at, shock horror, its own home ground.

PS. I hope you made it to the Richmond home games in Cairns.

But that's your club's problem for selling a membership that may not be always feasible. Surely nothing to do with Geelong try to play a home game at, shock horror, its own home ground.

PS. I hope you made it to the Richmond home games in Cairns.
Yes I did - like Geelong at that point we needed the money. Maybe your lot could have completed upgrades before offering inferior admission arrangements for opposition supporters. Has your debt been paid yet? Hope so.

Last edited:
Yes I did - like Geelong at that point we needed the money. Maybe your lot could have completed upgrades before offering inferior admission arrangements for opposition supporters. Has your debt been paid yet? Hope so.
Geelong hasn't needed money enough to sell home games interstate. Has our debt been paid yet? Geelong just went into more debt to cater for these "opposition supporters". Something that no other club is doing.

How about Richmond worries about the location of its 11 home games and lets the other clubs do likewise with their 11 home games.

Geelong hasn't needed money enough to sell home games interstate. Has our debt been paid yet? Geelong just went into more debt to cater for these "opposition supporters". Something that no other club is doing.

How about Richmond worries about the location of its 11 home games and lets the other clubs do likewise with their 11 home games.
Good for you. With the exception of being literally locked out of Geelong - I am happy with Tigers draw.I imagine we will be in top three drawcards again this year even though only 2,000 will see Geelong game.

Last edited:
I've been lead to believe it's a combinations of the weather, and a change in the materials used. The crete paper banners would fall to bits in s**t weather before the players could run through it, so the cheer squads all changed to a plastic material which stretches, and is harder to break (hence the slit).
That makes sense, I do remember some banners coming apart in the wet days but I don't know, * it, it was still cool.
Surely they could have two - one plastic for extreme wet days and for nice days make a real one

Kiss Cam and the stupid crowd pump ups. So lame
Ugh, is Kiss Cam an AFL wide thing now? I thought we were the only saps stuck with that crap up here at the Gabba - that and our asthmatic t-shirt gun that can only seem to fire 3 rows past the fence, and takes 5 minutes to reload every time.

LED advertising on the fence that constantly flashes, moves, rotates, bounces, changes colour etc. So ****ing distracting.

Fucing this. (Yes, deliberate misspelling.)

What happened to the old up and down banners at the 'G?

Fucing this. (Yes, deliberate misspelling.)

What happened to the old up and down banners at the 'G?
They came in in 2003, and went out in 2015

They came in in 2003, and went out in 2015

They were dead set decent.

I awaited their every change.

Seemed to stay up for a couple of minutes and then change.

That was my pre-game entertainment.

Commentators audibly groaning when the team that they obviously want to win makes a mistake.

People having a convenient on/off switch for their outrage for obvious unrewarded free kicks. For example, people generally tend to have a laugh when a player gets away with running 30m without a bounce or with some of those Clayton Oliver creative handballs. But an unpaid incorrect disposal after a player is tackled and dropped it or an unpaid deliberate out of bounds is enough to send the same people into a fury. An unpaid free is an unpaid free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You see this one so often when you attend games in person now, with the stricter interpretation of deliberate out of bounds. When a player has kicked the ball a reasonable distance and it slowly meanders towards the boundary line and when it gets within about 15m of the line the players from the opposition team all start looking at the umpire and throwing their arms out theatrically. And often the ball will break in a different direction and not even go out at all, meaning if the players had used a bit more effort on actually chasing the ball down, rather than worrying about the umpires, they might have got it.

You see this one so often when you attend games in person now, with the stricter interpretation of deliberate out of bounds. When a player has kicked the ball a reasonable distance and it slowly meanders towards the boundary line and when it gets within about 15m of the line the players from the opposition team all start looking at the umpire and throwing their arms out theatrically. And often the ball will break in a different direction and not even go out at all, meaning if the players had used a bit more effort on actually chasing the ball down, rather than worrying about the umpires, they might have got it.
Shocking look isn't it.

Shocking look isn't it.

Well it is kind of funny, I suppose, to see the players looking like dickheads, screaming for free kicks when the ball doesn't even cross the line. But for coaches, I would have thought that running hard after a ball in your area (particularly given that the ball isn't round) until it actually goes over the line should be as fundamental as giving a serious chase to an opponent running into goal, even if he has a couple of metres on you and is faster. You never know when an opponent is going to make a brainfart, or when a loose ball is going to take a weird bounce. I can't for the life of me imagine why it is so prevalent, because I can't imagine why a coach would tolerate it.

I've always hated ruck free kicks.

I hate this farcical third man up rule. I like the concept of not having a third man, but the way it's currently adjudicated is a joke. It looks so amateur to be nominating who will be contesting the ruck. I can't blame clubs for looking for loopholes, but as a supporter it's immensely irritating when someone who has never contested a ruck contest in their life is being awarded a free kick for supposedly being infringed just because they've put their hands in the air.

I don't think it's that hard to correct. If the AFL want to the ban the third man up, strip the rule right back to its very basic form and simply say that the team who has an extra man go up in the ruck gets penalised. Put the onus back on the clubs and make them accountable, let them sort out who's going to contest the ruck.

I've always hated ruck free kicks.

I hate this farcical third man up rule. I like the concept of not having a third man, but the way it's currently adjudicated is a joke. It looks so amateur to be nominating who will be contesting the ruck. I can't blame clubs for looking for loopholes, but as a supporter it's immensely irritating when someone who has never contested a ruck contest in their life is being awarded a free kick for supposedly being infringed just because they've put their hands in the air.

I don't think it's that hard to correct. If the AFL want to the ban the third man up, strip the rule right back to its very basic form and simply say that the team who has an extra man go up in the ruck gets penalised. Put the onus back on the clubs and make them accountable, let them sort out who's going to contest the ruck.
That makes it even more difficult to correct because then teams will block the opposition ruckman so that theirs can win an easy tap. I'm fine with how they have adjudicated it this week where they clearly work out who is rucking and it seriosuly takes less than 3 seconds to do so I have no problem with it now.

I'm beginning to have a real problem with commentators using nicknames for players. It exacerbates clear biases in some commentators' calling and is, frankly, really unprofessional. Particularly regarding Poppy, Buddy, Cyril, Eddie, 'The Bont', 'The Package', Stevie J, Mummy etc. It's almost solely Channel 7 commentators and really off-putting to me. Just call players by their actual surnames and work on being more accurate and insightful callers rather than annoying, influenced entertainers.

That makes it even more difficult to correct because then teams will block the opposition ruckman so that theirs can win an easy tap. I'm fine with how they have adjudicated it this week where they clearly work out who is rucking and it seriosuly takes less than 3 seconds to do so I have no problem with it now.

Yeah, agreed. A few teething issues, but I think it will correct itself pretty quickly and within about a month the ruckmen will have worked out a strategy of how to gain a decisive advantage by the opposition conceding the ruck (jumping, grabbing and handballing in one motion - almost a rugby lineout style action - before you've hit the ground, would seem to be a good option to me...unless I've missed something in the rules, so long as the ruckman is actually jumping for the ball, not standing flat-footed, he'd have until he lands on the ground to get a quick handball away, before he can be called for holding the ball).

Ultimately, nominating a rover to contest the ruck will only work once in a blue moon and the issue will resolve itself.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to have a real problem with commentators using nicknames for players. It exacerbates clear biases in some commentators' calling and is, frankly, really unprofessional. Particularly regarding Poppy, Buddy, Cyril, Eddie, 'The Bont', 'The Package', Stevie J, Mummy etc. It's almost solely Channel 7 commentators and really off-putting to me. Just call players by their actual surnames and work on being more accurate and insightful callers rather than annoying, influenced entertainers.

Should be a limit of about ten players in the league at any one time that are worthy of 'nickname status'. Just surnames for everyone else, thanks.

Beginning?!

Patience award to you Sir. Happy with Buddy in much the same way as Magic Johnson essentially became his name. But the others are almost exclusively ridiculous, and as you said, unprofessional.

Obviously they're going to have to clean up the third man up snafu.

I have never liked the deliberate out of bounds rule. A deep defender last round heaved it out 40 m away, it just bounced out. He was penalized! Some club is going to lose a flag from this stupid rule. Ditch it now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back