Recommitted Mitch McGovern [contracted and staying at Carlton]

Remove this Banner Ad

McGovern at his best was gamebreaking which is why he got the deal he got, unfortunately the fall was great.

He's a flash in the night, like Jackovich (Allen), or even McAdam (Adrian).

Didn't last the distance at the level, probably because of his effort, certainly not talent.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Allen Jackovich was a GUN
he kicked over 200 goals in just 47 games for melbourne

The sunk cost involved with McGovern is too great for us to move him on. We may as well ride this disaster out on the slim chance his body actually holds together for more than 5 minutes.

Yeah the only thing worse than the current situation would be if they traded him for little, paid part of his salary, and then he starts performing.

No club will make him an offer. His best bet is country footy like Fev.
If there was the prospect of Carlton covering some of his wage, someone would take a discount punt. North, as mentioned before, would be tempted. I'm not a fan, I think the trade has been a disaster, but I can't deny his ceiling is pretty huge.

If there was the prospect of Carlton covering some of his wage, someone would take a discount punt. North, as mentioned before, would be tempted. I'm not a fan, I think the trade has been a disaster, but I can't deny his ceiling is pretty huge.

26 years old. 7 years in the system. Under 80 games.

I think we have seen his ceiling.

We have enough average players on our list, you can keep him.

Great hands and good reader of the footy. Played his best footy as a fourth tall forward on undersized opponents. Useless playing forward against bigger defenders. Not much of a tank.

Only position that I think could work is a Jeremy Howe defensive role where he can come off a smaller forward to intercept or spoil. But it's the easiest role in footy and players that can fill it are a dime a dozen.

Last edited:

North wouldn’t be interested in McGovern, they laughed at and in the front of Melbourne’s face for the offer of Ben Brown for Aaron Vandenberg last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Allen Jackovich was a GUN
he kicked over 200 goals in just 47 games for melbourne
So was McAdam, even more briefly. My point is that McGovern was a gun for about 5 minutes - I would agree not at Jackovich's level if that's your point.

Jackovich was a GUN - saw him kick 100 in the SANFL too.

Gibbs trade. ;)

McAdam has kicked 3 goals less than Mcgov and Mcgov has being playing for an extra year and he wouldn't be costing anywhere near $800,000+ over the years.

It was a terrible trade it happens, I doubt anyone will be remotely interested in Mcgov.

Adelaide's revenge for Gibbs.
Saw both McHenry and McAdam play on Sunday and they are both terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGovern didn't play at all and cost $800k.

The Crows could have gotten nothing and been miles in front.
Gotta love how these figures keep getting inflated. Thought he'd be on a mill by now though.
Pretty sure it was closer to $650k and I think he may have even signed an extension at some point, which would have been even less.

26 years old. 7 years in the system. Under 80 games.

I think we have seen his ceiling.
For a 3rd/4th tall, these aren't bad numbers. Just hasn't had a run at it with Carlton. Played behind Tex, Lynch and Jenkins at Crows. Was recruited to be playing alongside Harry, Charlie and SOS at Blues, but has been forced to play 2nd fiddle most of the time due to injuries and occasionally has even had to play as the main target. He's just not that type of player. I'd be interested to know how many games he's actually played with all three of those? Or even just with Harry and Charlie?
Whether or not he is overpaid, is a separate argument. He probably is, but I'm not one to really worry too much about what each player gets paid, or if they're over/under paid. I'll leave that to the list managers and experts. As long as it doesn't stop us from retaining e required player, or chasing someone.
1625024750926.png

You may have won without McHenry and McAdam.

You got worse than nothing. They are two net negatives. Just like McGov.
What?

McHenry is a very good junior who will play 200 games for the Crows. McAdam is mercurial and has won us games - he's inconsistent, but he offers impact possessions.

You should watch some football some time. It can be pretty good, depending who you support.

Gotta love how these figures keep getting inflated. Thought he'd be on a mill by now though.
Pretty sure it was closer to $650k and I think he may have even signed an extension at some point, which would have been even less.
Lol.

It's been widely covered what he's on. It's not been inflated. It's been reported. BigFooty.com1460177717.jpg

What?

McHenry is a very good junior who will play 200 games for the Crows. McAdam is mercurial and has won us games - he's inconsistent, but he offers impact possessions.

You should watch some football some time. It can be pretty good, depending who you support.

Had quite a close look on Sunday. Both were absolutely average. McHenry gave away multiple free kicks which turned your momentum and wasn’t all that great with ball in hand. McAdam was about as useful as McGovern who was sitting on level 2.

Haven’t seen anything different from McHenry since he was drafted and whilst McAdam has shown glimpses in games here and there he’s nothing to write home about. A rare trade with no winners. Be thankful your boys aren’t taking up a fair chunk of cap space like Gov.

Lol.

It's been widely covered what he's on. It's not been inflated. It's been reported.View attachment 1167918
*Widely speculated* I can play the quote game too.
The one article that I can't seem to find now is where it was stated that the deal with Carlton was only for slightly more than what he was getting at Adelaide and that he was rumoured to be on $600-650k at Crows.
Most of the media didn't even know when his contract ended. Heaps of reports from 2020 saying that his contract was up at the end of 2020. There still seems to be confusion over when his contract expires. Has been reported as last year, this year, or 2023?
SEN from 10 months ago quoting Gary Lyon:
1625097882107.png
WWOS article from April 2020 quoting Cornes:
1625098123182.png

Fox Footy article from Oct 2020 - speaking directly with SOS (not saying this info came from him):
1625097558344.png

It was Ricciuto who mentioned $800k and then the media ran with it, but it's clear his comments were bitter and twisted (was potting all the players who left and claiming it was for money as a face saving exercise). Roo wouldn't know what the Carlton deal was. He'd simply be assuming that it was considerably more than what he was on at Crows.
Fox Sports:
1625098586550.png

In contrast to his comments about Mitch prior to him leaving:
1625098803840.png

Even the Crows' chairman tried to distance himself from Roo's comments:
1625099156227.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back