Most disappointing flash in the pan player

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin McGrath. 5 goals on debut. Played 4 games.

is trying to do a Andy Krakouer and come back though the justice system...i can actually remember that game

Jack Watts.

Am i doing it right?

no, its about players that played at least one good game. Good try though

Any Freo team of the 1990s had at least one.

Clive Waterhouse, Daniel Bandy, Stephen Koops, Scott Chisolm, Dion Woods, Clem Michael (inj)...

wow, clem could have been good, real good. His ruck work and ground work would have people creaming themselves these days. Dam docters i blame you...

wow, clem could have been good, real good. His ruck work and ground work would have people creaming themselves these days. Dam docters i blame you...

Was a good player but was only 192cm, would have been up against it trying to be a ruckman and would have probably become a poor mans Adam Goodes utility player.

Not that it's a slight on Clem, just he was never in Goodes' class

Disappointment is a result of hype or potential not being met. In that case, and from a Geelong perspective, Brian Peake probably takes the cake. That is not to say he was bad at Geelong, but that he did not come anywhere close to the hype surrounding him, or deserve the massive pay check - by the standards of the day - that was given to him. I mean, FFS, he was flown to Geelong in a helicopter and given the captaincy, but was never more than a 'good-ordinary' player.

For WA posters reading this, i know about and respect his WAFL career prior and post Geelong. But at Geelong he was disappointing.

Disappointment is a result of hype or potential not being met. In that case, and from a Geelong perspective, Brian Peake probably takes the cake. That is not to say he was bad at Geelong, but that he did not come anywhere close to the hype surrounding him, or deserve the massive pay check - by the standards of the day - that was given to him. I mean, FFS, he was flown to Geelong in a helicopter and given the captaincy, but was never more than a 'good-ordinary' player.

For WA posters reading this, i know about and respect his WAFL career prior and post Geelong. But at Geelong he was disappointing.

Could have been worse, he could have played more games for your club and you nabbed his kid under the father-son rule :p

John Hutton - The "Docker's Ablett" :thumbsu:

johnhutton.jpg

"Hutton was already 25 when the Brisbane Bears opted to take the West Australian with the No.1 pick in 1991. Hutton had kicked a stack of goals for Claremont in the WAFL, but at just 185cm he didn't have the stature to really impose himself at AFL level. He was crafty around goals, but in an era when Ablett, Lockett and Dunstall were the kings of the goal square, Hutton wasn't in that class. The very best was never seen of the lively forward , who played for three different clubs across four years.

Hutton booted bags of eight goals on three occasions - twice for the Bears and once for Fremantle. The day after he booted 8.5 in Freo's home win over the Swans, one West Australian newspaper ran the headline 'Dockers' Ablett'. His performance failed to impress the men in white, however, who didn't recognise him on Brownlow night, while his career was over at the end of that 1995 season."

Hopefully we won't be talking about Michael Barlow in this thread one day.
Hopefully not, but his talent is still there. 13 possessions, 1 goal, 3 clearances in 33% game time. Just needs to be managed for the rest of his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a good player but was only 192cm, would have been up against it trying to be a ruckman and would have probably become a poor mans Adam Goodes utility player.

Not that it's a slight on Clem, just he was never in Goodes' class

and im sure over the past 15 years you could come up with a heap of ruck/kpp that was in Goodes' class, you could prolly even get 7 or 10 players spoken about from this thread...

As a Saints fan that didn't see much of Polo at the Tigers, apart from that Dreamtime clash, I class him in this category. That said, I think he's well and truly dashed my hope now

He used to be one of my favorite non-Swans players, but after about three shite seasons in a row I'm not sure anymore that he has what it takes.

Has always been my favourite player, and each year I would say to myself "I cant wait til he finally has an uninjured year and shows what he is capable of" and now I realise he's not 20 years old any more and it just seems less and less likely every time he plays that he will make it! :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back