Teams New York Giants - The G-Men

Remove this Banner Ad

Giants owner John Mara wouldn't rule out CB Eli Apple returning next season.

"You don't quit on talent. That's a discussion we need to have in the offseason. He's a young guy. I'd like, at the end of the day, for him to be a part of this team's future." This conflicts with reports the Giants plan to move on from Apple after multiple clashes with teammates and coaches. The Giants invested an early first-round pick in Apple and don't want to give up on him unless they get something in return. Apple is under team control through 2020.

Source: SNY

Giants GM Dave Gettleman said he's "moving forward" with the idea Eli Manning will return as the starter next season.

"If what I saw against Philadelpiha is not a mirage — and I don't believe it was — then we'll just keep moving." Gettleman's comments fall in line with the Giants handling of Manning since Ben McAdoo's firing. Manning isn't a lock to be back in 2018, but his contract ($12.4M in dead money) and ownership support suggest he'll remain in New York. The Giants need to make a decision on Manning in early March if they want to avoid paying his $5 million roster bonus.

Jets signed GM Mike Maccagnan to a two-year extension through 2020.

Maccagnan was second-guessed in the offseason for releasing veterans Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall, David Harris, and Darrelle Revis, but none of the four proved to be of any help to their new teams. Maccagnan then traded Sheldon Richardson for Jermaine Kearse and a second-round pick, a deal that has paid off well for Gang Green. Maccagnan's drafts have had mixed results with the Christian Hackenberg and Devin Smith whiffs, but he's hit on Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, and Marcus Maye. He also brought in Josh McCown, who had his best year in 2017. The Mo Wilkerson deal may be Maccagnan's biggest miss.

-------------------------

Jets signed coach Todd Bowles to a two-year extension through 2020.

GM Mike Maccagnan also landed a two-year extension, linking the two together for another three years. The Jets are currently sitting 5-10 and are just 1-5 over their last six games, but Gang Green greatly exceeded expectations in 2017 when most thought they'd be the laughingstock of the league following an offseason roster purge. It turned out the players they released were over the hill anyway. Bowles is 20-27 to this point in his Jets tenure. Keeping them around also likely keeps OC John Morton in tow after a successful first year calling the offense.

Giants GM Dave Gettleman said he's "moving forward" with the idea Eli Manning will return as the starter next season.

"If what I saw against Philadelpiha is not a mirage — and I don't believe it was — then we'll just keep moving." Gettleman's comments fall in line with the Giants handling of Manning since Ben McAdoo's firing. Manning isn't a lock to be back in 2018, but his contract ($12.4M in dead money) and ownership support suggest he'll remain in New York. The Giants need to make a decision on Manning in early March if they want to avoid paying his $5 million roster bonus.

Illegal picks leading to long TDs? Definitely not a mirage. Double down giant!

Jets signed GM Mike Maccagnan to a two-year extension through 2020.

Maccagnan was second-guessed in the offseason for releasing veterans Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall, David Harris, and Darrelle Revis, but none of the four proved to be of any help to their new teams. Maccagnan then traded Sheldon Richardson for Jermaine Kearse and a second-round pick, a deal that has paid off well for Gang Green. Maccagnan's drafts have had mixed results with the Christian Hackenberg and Devin Smith whiffs, but he's hit on Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, and Marcus Maye. He also brought in Josh McCown, who had his best year in 2017. The Mo Wilkerson deal may be Maccagnan's biggest miss.

-------------------------

Jets signed coach Todd Bowles to a two-year extension through 2020.

GM Mike Maccagnan also landed a two-year extension, linking the two together for another three years. The Jets are currently sitting 5-10 and are just 1-5 over their last six games, but Gang Green greatly exceeded expectations in 2017 when most thought they'd be the laughingstock of the league following an offseason roster purge. It turned out the players they released were over the hill anyway. Bowles is 20-27 to this point in his Jets tenure. Keeping them around also likely keeps OC John Morton in tow after a successful first year calling the offense.

A much as I hate the ****** Jets, its a smart bit of business by Woody Johnson providing some reassurance by ensuring some stability in the front office.

I'm a new NFL & NYG fan after spending some time in NYC for work and heading to a game at Metlife! I wasn't able to keep up to date much this season aside from a few games earlier in the season and then the back end - which appears to have been a good thing haha

I'm catching up with everything now and it seems the Giants are making some moves. New GM, finished season strong with a solid win, we have pick #2, Eli Manning hopefully stays on, shredding some deadweight from the locker rooms. Hopefully pick up a strong coach and from what I've read on Gettleman sounds like he is a good man to bring on at this time and sort our roster out and to draft well!

Giants hired Vikings OC Pat Shurmur as head coach.

It's a five-year deal, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Shurmur's hiring became a foregone conclusion once the Lions and Colts snagged Patriots coordinators Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels respectively. Shurmur did a lousy job during his previous head-coaching stint in Cleveland but rebuilt his reputation with a strong showing in Minnesota. He'll be replacing Ben McAdoo, who was fired midseason after inexplicably benching Eli Manning for Geno Smith. Shurmur is reportedly in favor of keeping Manning, though the Giants are fully expected to select a quarterback in the upcoming draft, perhaps as early as second overall. Former Raiders coach Jack Del Rio should follow Shurmur to New York as the team's defensive coordinator.

Source: New York Giants on Twitter

Former life in Cleveland means nothing.

Excited for a change, haven't had a good one in a while in G Town.

Manning has to stay a year, not going to be one of those franchises that throwback good QBs under the bus behind garbage oline play.

And super happy with the Gettleman signing.

And stop the players bitching and trying for their team again. McAdoo deserved garbage treatment, but players have to get back on the wagon. G-man back in G town.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Odell Beckham has told people close to him he is targeting over $20 million per year on a new deal.

Beckham is signed for one more year at $8.5 million, so contract extension talks have already begun. "He's in the twenties (million per year)," said Garafolo regarding Beckham's asking price in annual average. "He wants to be in the low twenties." The "low twenties" is lower-end franchise quarterback money. Antonio Brown is presently the NFL's highest-paid receiver at $17 million per year.

Source: NFL Network on Twitter

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Odell Beckham has told people close to him he is targeting over $20 million per year on a new deal.
Source:
NFL Network on Twitter

Good luck with that........ and God Bless him , how virtuous of him, only targeting the lower 20 million mark.

Cant see any team forking out that sort of coin in any long term contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giants coach Pat Shurmur said Davis Webb will "get a lot of reps" during this week's minicamp.

"It will be a great way for Davis to sorta showcase what he can do," Shurmur said. "I don’t want to make this sound like it’s a showcase for Webb, but as a guy we’re interested in seeing, he’s certainly gonna get his fair share of the reps." A third-round pick last year, Webb somewhat ridiculously did not see any game action as a rookie, so the new coaching staff and front office have little to go on as they try to evaluate Webb's potential. Perhaps the minicamp makes the picture a bit clearer, but even a strong performance from Webb should not stop the Giants from looking for Eli Manning's successor early in the draft.

Source: New York Post

Davis Webb: Ben McAdoo promised him starts that never came
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 8, 2018, 6:10 AM EDT
ap_18214673772737.jpg

AP

If it seemed confusing on the outside when former Giants coach Ben McAdoo decided to snap quarterback Eli Manning‘s streak of 210 consecutive starts, the good news is it was just as confusing on the inside.

Via Ethan Sears of the New York Post, current Giants backup Davis Webb said he was promised the last three starts of last season, but that never happened.

Hey, the next three weeks, you’re in,” Webb recalled McAdoo saying, during an interview on WFAN.

That seemed like a reasonable plan, to start the untested rookie if you were going to pull the plug on the franchise quarterback during a lost season. But then when Manning refused to play a ceremonial first half against the Raiders, McAdoo went with journeyman Geno Smith, which basically led to a revolt that cost McAdoo and General Manager Jerry Reese their jobs.

And, for what it’s worth, Smith may dispute Webb’s version of events, with a vague tweet yesterday.

Either way, Webb never got his chance to prove himself, and McAdoo lost his best chance to justify parking Manning by not playing the unknown commodity.

“So I was ready to rock ‘n’ roll, and I was excited,” Webb said. “But at the same time, that was a rough day because Eli’s been the best teammate I’ve ever had. So I was really hurting for him.”

After the storm of public criticism, McAdoo was fired after the Raiders game, and Manning got his old job back under interim coach Steve Spagnuolo.

Now, Smith is backing up Philip Rivers with the Chargers, Webb’s still waiting for his first NFL action, and the Giants still don’t know if he can play well enough to trust him as Manning’s backup. It was one of the many things that went wrong last year.

Leonard: Saquon Barkley's hamstring injury might not seem like a big deal, but Giants learned hard way with Odell Beckham

By Pat Leonard
Aug 15, 2018 | 2:45 PM

ALLEN PARK, Mich. - In July 2014, then-Giants coach Tom Coughlin expressed frustration with rookie receiver Odell Beckham Jr.’s nagging hamstring. He said Beckham “looks pretty good out there moving around” and was hopeful to have him back in “a real short period of time.”

Even after Beckham sat out all four preseason games, Coughlin only called Beckham’s hamstring sore and said there had been “no setback.”

But then, of course, Beckham missed the first four games of the regular season, and OBJ revealed months later at the Pro Bowl in Arizona that he’d played all 12 of his rookie regular season games through two tears in his right hamstring.

Then-GM Jerry Reese would debate that characterization months later. Still, the point is that the Giants’ rookie first round pick’s injury cost him games and was more serious than originally believed.

“A hamstring is something that never really goes away,” Beckham said in January of 2015. “It’s very hard to just get over them. There have been times when I pulled my hamstring and got over it, and but this is one that stuck with me for a while.”

ny-1534356568-oww37m7vwo-snap-image

Saquon Barkley is just a spectator as the Giants hold joint workouts with the Lions this week. (Carlos Osorio / AP)
This is important context now as rookie running back Saquon Barkley nurses a left hamstring injury, which was described by one Daily News source as a “tweak” and then called both a “mild strain” and a “tweak” by Giants head coach Pat Shurmur, who labeled Barkley “day-to-day” on Tuesday.

Barkley sat out the second straight day of the Giants practice sessions with the Lions here Wednesday, in full uniform with no shoulder pads. He was in high spirits, though, and the leg did not seem to be bothering him too much. He certainly was not protecting his leg as if it hurt too badly.

At the start of practice, Barkley actually was juggling a football like a soccer ball, at one point standing on just his injured left leg while kicking the ball with his right. Shurmur was asked about Barkley’s juggling act and about whether the coach, therefore, can say he’s confident it’s a minor injury.

“I didn’t see what you’re saying, but he’s day-to-day,” Shurmur said. “He’s working his way back. He tweaked it. And yeah, I’m confident he’ll be back.”

Then after practice, Barkley joined some teammates catching footballs from the Jugs machine – grabbing a few one-handed – and he actually jogged lightly after a loose football at one point. These are all encouraging signs, as is the fact that Barkley made the trip in the first place.

However, as Beckham’s case illustrated in 2014, hamstring injuries can be problematic.

ny-1534356727-mhcjc5wehw-snap-image

Odell Beckham (Julie Jacobson / AP)
Beckham sustained his first hamstring tear during the spring of 2014 and then suffered the second tear when he rushed back too early at the start of training camp under public pressure from Coughlin, who’d said: “It’s more than (disappointing Beckham can’t practice). We’re trying to put a team together. We saw too much of that in the spring.”

Shurmur certainly is not going to rush Barkley back or call him out publicly for not practicing. The coach prioritizes his players’ health. And yet, Barkley still bears watching after Shurmur gave him a couple maintenance days or reduced workloads in a pair of early August practices, and now the Giants’ prized No. 2 pick can’t practice and certainly will not be playing in Friday night’s preseason game at Ford Field.

So Shurmur for now is doing with Barkley what he typically does with injured players: resting them but keeping them on field in full uniform when possible to stay involved and learning.

In fact, that’s another potential sign that Barkley’s injury isn’t serious. He’s been standing on the field for the large part of these practices observing everything alongside his teammates.

“As long as they can defend themselves and it’s not a lower-leg injury of some sort or something where they need immediate attention, I think it’s important for them to be out there,” Shurmur said of his injured players.

On the other hand, when evaluating the injury’s severity, it’s hard to ignore that the Giants’ social media team quickly deleted Monday’s video of the practice play on which Barkley was injured.

The organization for good reason hypes its No. 2 overall pick’s talents at every turn. But here was an up-close look at Barkley’s impressive and outstretched catch of a Kyle Lauletta wheel route down the left sideline, and yet the Giants took it down off Twitter?

It may not say everything, but it certainly doesn’t mean nothing.

A hamstring injury for Barkley is a concern, too, because so much of his greatness is based on his quick-twitch cuts and speed bursts aided by his freakish lower-body strength. They drafted Barkley to help this team to win now, with Eli Manning 37 years old, and they need him on the field to do that.

In that vein, it’s a bit nerve-wracking frankly to watch Beckham practice against another NFL team, coming off last year’s left ankle surgery, while Barkley stands idle injured on the sidelines. The Giants’ two biggest weapons: one at-risk and one unavailable.

This is football, though, of course, and you can’t bubble-wrap your stars forever.

Beckham, of course, went on to scorch the earth as a rookie despite his hamstring tears, with 91 receptions, 1,305 receiving yards and 12 touchdown grabs in just 12 games. And Barkley could be just as big a game-changer in year one.

The Giants can only hope he’ll be back soon. Wednesday there were plenty of signs that Barkley likely will be OK. It’s just that recent history has shown that with hamstrings and Giants’ star first-round picks, you never know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back