• Hardwick

• Schofield

• Buckley

• Montgomery

• Other

• Carr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

We need someone who can make this chronically underachieving list reach its full potential...
Who isn't a Coke Zero slurping zombie in the coaches box...
Who doesn't wanna be everyone's best mate...
Who is that man?

MORRIS MOTHER F@%KING BUTTERMAKER.

34nsbf.gif

Last edited:
That’s not how these things work.

Let’s for a moment say Hinkley is moved on in the next month. He, Voss,and Bassett are virtually a package, and I think the club would want and need to move on philosophically from the Hinkley era and have a look at omeone without that baggage.

The next in line would be a person who’s willing and able to move the club forward with a whole new philosophy, and at least in the interim that would be Schofield or Montgomery, or a combination of both. But my guess and my pick would be Schofield.

I have said two things, and you confirmed one of them.

-----
Schofield and Monty, I'd be fine with either. Though, both have head coach aspirations so picking one might mean losing the other or they move into a director of coaching role.

They both fit the criteria for me though - relatively young but experienced, hungry, intense and carry themselves in a way that brings respect.
Schofield, HC
Monty, Sen. Ass.

Then, promote the development coaches to line coaches.

For the game against West Lakes, the next in line is Voss.

If we fire Hinkley, Voss, and Bassett; then, it would be Schofield.

Hinkley, Voss and Bassett all have to go, and unless Clarkson is available, which I assume is highly unlikely I wouldn't be adverse to Schofield and Montgomery as coach and senior assistant.

70% of AFL premiership coaches have won an AFL premiership as a player.

If we are going to chose someone in the 30% group - ie Alastair Clarkson type - then we have to find an outstanding candidate not the last man standing. Clarkson had coached a premiership and grand final at Centrals and had 2003 and 2004 at Port in the lead up to our flag - then flogged a whole lot of our staff, immediately and over the next couple of years - Russell, Hardwick, Morris, Pelchen etc. Our next coach should do something like that as well.

I’d prefer a non candidate as caretaker (Broges? Hentschel? Cornes?) so our selectors don’t get Primused into a bad call and the contenders can get themselves prepped on an even footing

Chadbro for Coach!

I keep hearing Schofield but i'm yet to see any evidence he is any better than the rest of the muppets in our coaches box.

I’d prefer a non candidate as caretaker (Broges? Hentschel? Cornes?) so our selectors don’t get Primused into a bad call and the contenders can get themselves prepped on an even footing

Are you giving Voss candidate status?

AFL premiership coaches since 1990. 19 of the last 29 flags coached by an AFL premiership players and 20 of 29 if you count Choco who won flags at Port pre AFL comp.

Matthews 1990,01,02,03 ( played in 4 flags for Hawks)
Malthouse 1992,94,10 ( 1980 flag Richmond)
Sheedy 1993,00 ( 3 flags)
Parkin 1995....... (2 flags)
Blight 1997,98... (2 flags)
Worsfold 2006.... (2 flags)
Thompson 2007,09 (3 flags)
C. Scott 2011...... (2 flags)
Longmire 2012, (1999 flag NM)
Hardwick 2017 (2 flags)
Simpson 2018 (2 flags)

Joyce 1991 - inherited a great side in Hawthorn. Was caretaker coach in 1988 when Jeans was ill and they won the flag. Played for Hawks in 1961 - but didnt play in the flag side.

Pagan 1996,99 - play in 1974 GF, coached 5 VFL under 19 premierships between 1983-1991.

Williams 2004 - played in 4 flags for Ports, 2 in SANFL pre AFL days 1979-80, and 1981 VFL GF.

Roos 2005 - played in 1996 GF - short apprenticeship of 3 seasons as assistant coach

Clarkson 2008,13,14,15 - coached Centrals to 2001 Flag and 2002 GF, then assistant at Ports in 2003-04

Beveridge 2016 .... was Clarko's assistant for 2 or 3 years after long time coaching in VAFA

I think the club will, and if he gets a post-Hinkley form bump as caretaker he’ll probably get the job fml

I'd have Voss as care taker to signal that he's not in contention for the Port job. Ditto Bassett. On Voss, I think he's done enough penance to be a senior coach again but I want someone who hasn't worked with Ken as long as Voss has in the top job.

Schofield and Monty should be under heavy consideration along with other external candidates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar deal with making a GF. 20 of the 29 losing grand finalists have been coached by a premiership player

Sheedy 1990,93,01
Malthouse 1991,02,03,11
Blight ...... 1992,94
Ayres........ 1995
Eade ........ 1996
Alves ........ 1997
Parkin ....... 1999
Matthews ... 2004
Worsfold..... 2005
Thompson 2008
Longmire 2014, 2016
Simpson 2015
Pyke....... 2017

Coaches in bold also won a flag as coach
Pagan 1998 - lost GF in 1974
Daniher 2000 - [never played in a GF but was at Essendon with injured knee during premiership years]
Roos 2006.......... Lost GF in 1996
Williams 2007..... Lost GF in 1981

Lyon..... 2009,10,13 [never played in a GF at Fitzroy or Brisbane Bears]
Clarkson 2012 [never played in a GF, moved to Melbourne in 1996 when NM won the flag]
Buckley 2018 - lost 2002,03 GF

Last edited:
If we can't get someone like Clarkson, which is highly unlikely i'd rather take a punt on a young assistant that's had success in that role but no senior coaching experience. Someone like Caracella, or a Scott Burns. Or if Monty and Schoey are as good as everyone keeps saying on here they may just be the candidates right underneath our noses.

someone with drive to succeed will be a nice addition to a club full of leaders going through the motions.

By me? If non-senior coaches, Caracella

Yes please.

I don't want Schoey or Monty. I want a fresh start. I want someone with a history of success at AFL level behind them. Ideally I want someone who's never so much as met Ken Hinkley, let alone coached under him.

70% of AFL premiership coaches have won an AFL premiership as a player.

If we are going to chose someone in the 30% group - ie Alastair Clarkson type - then we have to find an outstanding candidate not the last man standing. Clarkson had coached a premiership and grand final at Centrals and had 2003 and 2004 at Port in the lead up to our flag - then flogged a whole lot of our staff, immediately and over the next couple of years - Russell, Hardwick, Morris, Pelchen etc. Our next coach should do something like that as well.

That is why I would take Sam Mtchell or even Luke Hodge over Hinkley in a heartbeat.

Back