Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

Remove this Banner Ad

You're more likely to pass a few other sides heading in the other direction. Id have you as the most likely finals side to drop out - with adelaide/west coast etc on the rise.
Even worse you're replacing a guy that can seriously coach with hird. I wonder if they will add tania to the coaches box - she seems to make every other decision for him.
I have you finishing ninth. Over achieved and now trying to top up with older players. Will end badly for port

I have you finishing ninth. Over achieved and now trying to top up with older players. Will end badly for port

Third youngest list in comp and an accredited high performance department champ.

Melbourne, Gws, Brisbane all have young lists too. Our list is probably younger than yours now that Winderlich has gone and you take Fletch out.
Melbourne, GWS, Brisbane are all s**t though. Port are not. You guys will be s**t for at least half of 2015 Id say, and if you lose another a couple of best 22 players leaving the club that wont help either.

Melbourne, GWS, Brisbane are all s**t though. Port are not. You guys will be s**t for at least half of 2015 Id say, and if you lose another a couple of best 22 players leaving the club that wont help either.
Exactly. They are s**t. Maybe you missed my point then.

Also, we lost 1 best 22 (Ryder). You know how list management works right. One goes out, one comes in.

If he can. All these deals are just speculation. I haven't seen anywhere that McDevitt has offered up deals, and if he did, I'm sure that fish bolted a long long time ago. With WADA publicly stating displeasure at the deals the NRL players got, I'm almost certain they won't be so lenient with the EFC. We already have gus, so, that could be 2 players out for anywhere up to 2 years. Not great at all.
Ok so if you trade 16 and he misses 2 years how will that look. Maybe start at your 2nd round pick on that logic.

Exactly. They are s**t. Maybe you missed my point then.

Also, we lost 1 best 22 (Ryder). You know how list management works right. One goes out, one comes in.
Point is Paddy quit the Bombers.
That is finished he's contract will be terminated he's not going back. It's a formality for the grievance tribunal.

He has chosen Port Adelaide as the club he would like to continue his career with. We did not poach him he had already quit the Bombers.

As an act of goodwill Paddy would like the Bombers to get something for him on the way out. It's purely as an act of goodwill Port are offering anything at all. We do not have to give apples peanuts or pears.

It's not a trade where balance needs to be found its a trade that is an effort to get something for the Bombers they would not otherwise get.

Melbourne, Gws, Brisbane all have young lists too. Our list is probably younger than yours now that Winderlich has gone and you take Fletch out.
The difference is more so in the age of the core of the list. Sure, Essendon has some great young talls, and Heppell is a gun, but there aren't the same numbers of high-quality young players through the midfield. Essendon's midfield core is probably still Watson, Goddard, Heppell, Stanton and Zaharakis - good enough players, but significantly older and not as good as Boak, Gray, Hartlett, Ebert, Wingard and Wines. That's not a knock on Essendon, but more so recognition of how promising Port are.

Point is Paddy quit the Bombers.
That is finished he's contract will be terminated he's not going back. It's a formality for the grievance tribunal.

He has chosen Port Adelaide as the club he would like to continue his career with. We did not poach him he had already quit the Bombers.

As an act of goodwill Paddy would like the Bombers to get something for him on the way out. It's purely as an act of goodwill Port are offering anything at all. We do not have to give apples peanuts or pears.

It's not a trade where balance needs to be found its a trade that is an effort to get something for the Bombers they would not otherwise get.
Paddy has finished his contract? Omg we might as well give him up for free then.

Although claiming that they want a top-line player for Ryder is ridiculous, it's a bit counting-one's-chickens to suggest that Essendon should suck up whatever Port offer them.

Though offering a late first-round pick for a ruckman/forward who averaged thirteen touches and less than a goal per game this year is pretty spot-on, I would have thought.

In these circumstances, you wont get a player coming in the quality of Ryder to replace him, so it will be a loss in the short term at least.

There are also rumours Howlett/Kavanagg might be on the out. Are these just rumours or any base behind it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

serious question to ess supporters
What outcome would you like to see if Port doesnt offer anything more than pick 17?
Do you genuinely expect him to come back tail between his legs and play for you? After missing the B&F and being booed there. After stating he wants out and no desire to play for ess and also go as far as choosing his preferred team?

What outcome would you like to see if Port doesnt offer anything more than pick 17?
Do you genuinely expect him to come back tail between his legs and play for you? After missing the B&F and being booed there. After stating he wants out and no desire to play for ess and also go as far as choosing his preferred team?

I have been saying since he asked to leave that we would get bent over.

I think in the end Port will up a slightly better deal but nowhere near the wingard/wines/hartlett ridiculous crap Dodoro is asking for.

For me I hope that means something like

Ryder for Impey and 16.

I think in the end though it will likely be something along the lines of

Ryder for Moore and 16

I have been saying since he asked to leave that we would get bent over.

I think in the end Port will up a slightly better deal but nowhere near the wingard/wines/hartlett ridiculous crap Dodoro is asking for.

For me I hope that means something like

Ryder for Impey and 16.

I think in the end though it will likely be something along the lines of

Ryder for Moore and 16
Pick 16 and moore would be a very good outcome for you guys. Id call it a win under the circumstances

Can anybody explain what Essendon's trying to achieve by dragging this out?

Ryder's not going to return to Essendon after what's gone on. Forcing a guy back to the club when your supporters have booed him and he doesn't want to be there will be a great look. Port Adelaide have offered about as much as they can in their first pick and a young fringe player with potential to improve so the offer's not going to get any better (I mean really? Wingard? Wines? That's just ridiculous).

The only thing "taking a stand" is likely to achieve is to encourage Ryder to try and get his contract terminated potentially leaving Essendon with nothing. Of course it'll also be great for the club to have all the ASADA stuff on the front pages while they're dragged through the courts on whether Ryder's contract was breached. Surely the smart thing to do is to accept what is a very reasonable offer given the circumstances.

Moore to Melbourne and that pick to the Bombers maybe Moore would be a great fit at Melbourne you would think . On the provision Moore were interested in going back to Victoria I just don't see it though and I don't see the need to pander to Dodoro just give it a couple of days and pull the pin pick 17 or nothing.

I'd expect to treat Ryder along the same lines that Port treated Nick Stevens when he wanted to go to a premiership contender and they offered a ridiculous trade.

Can anybody explain what Essendon's trying to achieve by dragging this out?

Ryder's not going to return to Essendon after what's gone on. Forcing a guy back to the club when your supporters have booed him and he doesn't want to be there will be a great look. Port Adelaide have offered about as much as they can in their first pick and a young fringe player with potential to improve so the offer's not going to get any better (I mean really? Wingard? Wines? That's just ridiculous).

The only thing "taking a stand" is likely to achieve is to encourage Ryder to try and get his contract terminated potentially leaving Essendon with nothing. Of course it'll also be great for the club to have all the ASADA stuff on the front pages while they're dragged through the courts on whether Ryder's contract was breached. Surely the smart thing to do is to accept what is a very reasonable offer given the circumstances.
Simple. If Essendon just caves on this, it is open season on our list. Anyone and everyone will be trying to poach players for peanuts.

However, nobody wants to go to court. If it goes to court, maybe we win, maybe we lose. But what's the short term outcome? Port has to keep a whole chunk of its salary cap free for a guy they may or may not actually get. Ryder's not playing games, his future is up in the air, and he's only getting paid base salary. And of course even if we win, we'd be forcing a guy to play for us who may not want to (as you said). So nobody wants this to go to court.

So it is a contest of chicken, where we're trying to get a deal of sufficient quality that other club's don't want to go through the hassle of targeting more of our players. Which means there is a real floor on what we can accept without going to court.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back