Paul Roos to Melbourne Football Club ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Paul Roos to Melbourne Football Club???" I knew Melbourne were desperate, but I didn't think they would resort to this...

images

The thing that makes this story hardest to believe for me is that Roos seems more of a jumping off a sinking ship type than a help a club in dire need. Fitzroy fans will perhaps catch my drift.

The thing that makes this story hardest to believe for me is that Roos seems more of a jumping off a sinking ship type than a help a club in dire need. Fitzroy fans will perhaps catch my drift.

Roos left the Swans in a very healthy state. He didn't run a club into the ground and then get sacked leaving a rebuild for the next coach like most coaches end up doing.

Roos left the Swans in a very healthy state. He didn't run a club into the ground and then get sacked leaving a rebuild for the next coach like most coaches end up doing.
I meant leaving Fitzroy for Sydney in his playing days when they were spiralling out of control into oblivion.

The thing that makes this story hardest to believe for me is that Roos seems more of a jumping off a sinking ship type...

Yes, because he left the Sydney list in such a shambles that it took Longmire considerable weekends worth of work to turn it into a Premiership winning side?? :confused:

Roos has just knocked it on the head (as expected)

Roo's isn't Mick malthouse he's not going to try and undermine a sitting coach no matter how s**t he is.

If roo's wants the job you'll only find out about it AFTER Neeld is informed he won't have a job next year.

In any case anyone hoping roo's will be the messiah for the Dee's is kidding themselves.

You have to build team from scratch again 3/4 qtrs of that list have no desire to play for the MFC.

Coaching change and things got worse not better, clearly heads must roll in the footy department, then you have to look at their high performance guys, roosy is big on that and the dee's clearly aren't.

Long gone are the days where a coach can come in and fix everything, footy is to big it's the entire footy department that needs fixing. Unless Melbourne plan to do things the Paul roo's way it will fail.

Even if they do it his way there's no guaranty, I'm a swans fan I love roosy but people have to start realising this isn't a situation where the team isn't playing for the coach (like the Crowe's under Neal craig) this is a situation where the players aren't even playing for each other.

I meant leaving Fitzroy for Sydney in his playing days when they were spiralling out of control into oblivion.

He was owed 3 months wages and when he asked what was going on they refused to talk to him and most of his mates had already gone.

What's he supposed to do? Die with a club that won't even answer his calls?

And MFC isn't a sinking ship the AFL wont allow it.

Roos would be an idiot to go to Melbourne at present. Melbournes problems do not begain or end with the coach. If they fix all their other problems, then an experienced coach may be willing to go there. But at present it is a death sentance for a coaches career.

I think Roos is massively overrated and even he may acknowledge he couldn't handle MFC. He couldn't handle B Hall, I think Lions is a nice soft job Roos can exploit
This is all speculation as Roos has said himself that it is lees about the club and more about his "want to coach" or lack there of.

But I find it funny a Richmond supporter saying Roos is overrated, given his record of playing finals 7 out of 8 years, 3 prelims, 2 GF's and 1 premiership with a team that clearly had less talent than West Coast.

Compare that to the tigers record of 0 out of 12 finals. I think Hardwick has the "potential" to be a good coach, but you seriously can't compare the 2.

I see your point around the handling of B Hall and you could argue that he didn't manage the situation with Barry himself well. But his "team first" philosophy shone through in using the remainder of 2009 to blood players in Hall's absence. He als ended up trading Hall for pick 28 - which we used on Mumford. I would say he handled a bad situation extremely well

Melbourne could certainly do with more of a "team first" approach and so could Richmond for that matter.

Agree or disagree with Roosy's commentary, but you can't question his record

He was owed 3 months wages and when he asked what was going on they refused to talk to him and most of his mates had already gone.

That is not correct.

What's he supposed to do? Die with a club that won't even answer his calls?

The out of contract Roos met with John Birt (Chief Executive), Glenn Warry (football manager) and Colin Hobbs (director and former player) just after the last home and away game in 1994. He told them (and I quote) "if you can't show me a bright future, you're wasting your time even making an offer." He also told them if they wanted to make an offer for a new contract, it should reflect his playing record and be fully guaranteed.

Roos then went on to have discussions with the Swans, Crows, Kangaroos and the Dockers, as well as Fitzroy.

He met with Fitzroy on a number of occasions up until the November of 1994 and was paid the final instalment of his contract amounting to $27,000 on the 1st December 1994.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roos would be an idiot to go to Melbourne at present. Melbournes problems do not begain or end with the coach. If they fix all their other problems, then an experienced coach may be willing to go there. But at present it is a death sentance for a coaches career.
Yep. He's seen the light I reckon.

Mike's son. Very interesting. Apparently Roos is already looking for assistant coaches.

PAUL ROOS; A DEMON??? http://wp.me/p2JmwG-10 via @wordpressdotcom
Retweeted by Wayne Ludbey.m/2013/05/08/paul-roos-a-demon/
Pretty much came out yesterday and slammed the rumours. Said that he wouldn't do it for financial reasons regardless how much money the AFL offered, and would be only be doing it if his heart was in it, which it isn't.

Will be interesting if he pulls a Cloke though.

Melbourne need to follow Port Adelaide's lead and clean their house from top to bottom. There's no harm in clearing the dead wood and starting over. If the current board aren't performing, then the current board needs to be become the former board quick smart.

Paul Roos is a far better coach than Malthouse.

Roos built Sydney's culture and it's still going strong today.
Unlike Malthouse, Roos left the club and it didn't fall apart.

Mick Malthouse makes coaching all about himself, he is a charismatic leader and a motivator of players.
But he is not a culture builder - which is why he is failing at Carlton, they have a culture issue.
They tanked like Melbourne and they are still paying.

Melbourne need Paul Roos, but the trouble with the Demons is that their board is a complete mess.
I would say it's a rabble, but it's not even a rabble.
The AFL appointed CEO has a lot of work to do before a bloke the quality of Paul Roos would even consider being interviewed for the job.

Melbourne failed with Sheedy, who actually taken the time to interview Melbourne, only to walk out the room when he realized this basket-case was actually trying to interview him.

Okay. Very interesting storytale here. Tony releases this story a few months ago and then squashed down by Roos on OTC. Tony's dad works with Roos on OTC. Did not go into great depth on the show the day the article came out and was suggested he was not interested but interestingly did not question Mike about the release of the article and where Tony got his source from?

Tonight on Footy Classfied, Garry Lyon suggests Gerard Healy should take up on role of finding the coach for the Melbourne Football Club. Gave him a glowing recommendation. Gerard is good friends with Roosy. Gerard: only three weeks ago said Melbourne have to show improvement in the next 2 weeks or the coach is gone. Maybe a deal already done to get his good mate to Melbourne?

Now article released by Jon Ralph on the Hun website with quotes from Paul Roos

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...stant-neil-craig/story-fni5f91a-1226664862230

"Look, I will take a call," Roos said.

"I am happy to talk if they want me to talk now that Neeld has gone.

"If (Melbourne) did want to have a chat, well we'd see what would happen then," he said.

"The thought of coaching Melbourne doesn't scare me, not the club itself or any other club," he said.

"In some ways it's the great coaching challenge, but you have got to be thinking like a coach to take it on if you are going to do that role."

"I think money is the wrong reason to do it," he said. "Everyone needs money, but you have to have more of a motivation to want to coach."

But he said the "goal-to-goal line of (James) Frawley, (Colin) Garland, (Chris) Dawes and (Mitch) Clark with (Nathan) Jones is solid".

"Their lack of depth and run through the midfield is the most significant problem they need to overcome, but they have some talented players."

If Roos was not interested in coaching at all, would have said 'no'. I don't want to coach ever again and their is no point contacting me because that's my final answer.

Very similar to another OTC panelist in James Hird, who was adamant he wouldn't be coaching Essendon nekk minnut signs with the Bombers.

Roos to Melbourne would be the biggest off-field signing since Norm Smith.

I don't think you'd find too many Melbourne supporters who wouldn't want him at the helm. We can't get our hopes up though.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/me...stant-neil-craig/story-fndv8pdq-1226664862230

How the hell can this club walk up to the AFL ask for 3 million dollars to save it from losing 1.5-2 million dollars this year and allow them to use 600k to pay it's old coach, then be justified in offering Roo's over a million dollars a season??
I don't think you, or many others, understand the full conditions attached to the 'bail out'. Furthemore we're not the first club to receive help like this from the AFL (have a look at Carlton not too long ago as one example) and won't be the last.

If we could get Roos, it would be a monumental move in our club's history. Possibly the biggest since Norm Smith. Would it guarantee success? No. Nothing does.

I have no problems with Melbourne going after the best coach available.

If they are going to get back on track, they are going to need to go further into debt and pour money into the football department. It will cost them a lot more than a million a year for Roos because he'll want to bring in quality assistants as well.

They can't continue to scrimp on an untried senior coach, surround him with a mediocre assistants group and expect it to turn around.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/me...stant-neil-craig/story-fndv8pdq-1226664862230

How the hell can this club walk up to the AFL ask for 3 million dollars to save it from losing 1.5-2 million dollars this year and allow them to use 600k to pay it's old coach, then be justified in offering Roo's over a million dollars a season??

Should we be surprised?

They tank, they get fined.

Then the AFL bail them out. They couldn't have sacked Neeld at a worse time, if they were going to do it they should've done it earlier or later.

If someone owes you money, lie, cheats and is a compulsive gambler, do you then give them more or do you try and get their life sorted first, educated them on how to budget before you offer any more financial assistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back