Traded Peter Wright [Traded to Essendon for 2021 R4 pick]

Who won this trade?

• Gold Coast

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Essendon

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You might want to go check their career stats as there really is not the massive difference you think their is but ill attach the link to make is easier, Now also there are other things to consider like Daniher 'Being available to play' He has hardly played in 3 years due to Groin and mental issue's he could just as likely turn around in 3 years after playing another 20 games and retire. As well as the asking price "last year of 2 x 1st rounders compared to a pick that would cost for Wright"
Yes I've seen their stats, it's what I made my previous post based on. Daniher is well ahead in contested marks and goals. Wright has never put up a season even like Daniher's 2016, let alone 2017 where he kicked 65. There's no comparison between the two. Anyone paying a high price for Daniher will be absolutely convinced he is back to full fitness and has accounted for the risk of re-injury. Wright has never been more than a decent player, his hype is almost entirely down to where he was drafted.

I'd take him if Daniher leaves. But seriously, anyone that thinks 2MP is worth anything near Daniher is delusional. The bloke hasn't played a single game this year, he's not even worth as much as Josh Bruce. He's 24, his draft position is irrelevant. Would be looking at a pick downgrade at best.

I wouldn't pay more than an end of second round pick. There's no guarantee he's best 22 whereas Daniher clearly would be, based on goals and contested marks.
Yeah people pretending they're in the same class have VERY short memories. Daniher's had a horrid time with injury but his best is clearly very very good. Wright is at best a nice piece of a forward line, rather than the actual glue of one.

I'd take him if Daniher leaves. But seriously, anyone that thinks 2MP is worth anything near Daniher is delusional. The bloke hasn't played a single game this year, he's not even worth as much as Josh Bruce. He's 24, his draft position is irrelevant. Would be looking at a pick downgrade at best.

Josh Bruce having a lean year yes, but can’t fault his efforts during games. Something a dons fan should admire.

Josh Bruce having a lean year yes, but can’t fault his efforts during games. Something a dons fan should admire.
Oh I rate Bruce, I wish he nominated us last year, but my point is to illustrate that 2MP is unlikely to get a second and a third.

Oh I rate Bruce, I wish he nominated us last year, but my point is to illustrate that 2MP is unlikely to get a second and a third.

I was shocked too that dons weren’t as keen! Yeah I can’t see anyone getting anything under pick 30.

Nobody has said they are worth the same pick or Dollars

What i have said is that if i am a club after a KPF and had the choice to pay 2 x 1st rounders pay $900k a year for Daniher who will be 27 and with his 'isuue's'
I would rather take Wright for a 2nd rounder at the age of 24.

Nobody has said they are worth the same pick or Dollars

What i have said is that if i am a club after a KPF and had the choice to pay 2 x 1st rounders pay $900k a year for Daniher who will be 27 and with his 'isuue's'
I would rather take Wright for a 2nd rounder at the age of 24.
Yeah you'd be in the minority who would rather trade for Wright than Daniher.

Sort of like the ablett trade? Would a late R1 for Gold Coast R2 do it ? 16 for 24 type deal on the latest positions? It hard to work out what GC would do a trade for..

Im not sure of any trade value till we get confirmation of list numbers but this type of deal would seem reasonable..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sort of like the ablett trade? Would a late R1 for Gold Coast R2 do it ? 16 for 24 type deal on the latest positions? It hard to work out what GC would do a trade for..

Im not sure of any trade value till we get confirmation of list numbers but this type of deal would seem reasonable..
Honestly I don't think it matters what round. That probably does it

GC wouldn’t be able to sign that deal fast enough. Seriously, way overs for a guy who can’t get a game for a whole year.

Its 8 position move that equates to a pick in the 40's..
If I trade a bunch of second and 3rd round picks then does that equal a top 10 pick and make the club I’m trading with happy? Or does it equal a handful of prospects who are about a 30% chance to make it?
Using points to value a trade like this is dumb. That trade is basically GC upgrading from a pick that is okish to one that could yield them a star. And get a depth player eating up salary cap space out the door to boot. If you want to give up something equal to a pick in the 40’s, give up a pick in the 40’s, don’t give up access to one of the top 20 kids in the country...

If I trade a bunch of second and 3rd round picks then does that equal a top 10 pick and make the club I’m trading with happy? Or does it equal a handful of prospects who are about a 30% chance to make it?
Using points to value a trade like this is dumb. That trade is basically GC upgrading from a pick that is okish to one that could yield them a star. And get a depth player eating up salary cap space out the door to boot. If you want to give up something equal to a pick in the 40’s, give up a pick in the 40’s, don’t give up access to one of the top 20 kids in the country...

Its an upgrade on a pick that this year could be 30 to a pick that could be 22 .. and statistically there would not be a huge advantage of 22 over 30 ..

Yeah but in this year's draft half the class haven't played this year so downgrading a pick is not what it is in a normal year.

I might have to reconsider my opinion of Wright a little. I made a post in the Lions forum about the accuracy at goal of our rumoured KPF targets compared to our existing players over the last three seasons and Wright comes out looking good, albeit over a small sample size. I'll reproduce the data below:

Shots 0-24m:
Brown - 14% of total shots, 81% accuracy
Cameron - 16% of total shots, 73% accuracy
Casboult - 18% of total shots, 73% accuracy
Daniher - 17% of total shots, 75% accuracy
Hipwood - 11% of total shots, 70% accuracy
McInerney - 30% of total shots, 63% accuracy
McStay - 28% of total shots, 81% accuracy
Wright - 6% of total shots, 100% accuracy (but this is only 3 shots)

Shots 25-49m:
Brown - 64% of total shots, 63% accuracy
Cameron - 50% of total shots, 54% accuracy
Casboult - 45% of total shots, 57% accuracy
Daniher - 38% of total shots, 44% accuracy
Hipwood - 49% of total shots, 41% accuracy
McInerney - 60% of total shots, 56% accuracy
McStay - 53% of total shots, 46% accuracy
Wright - 38% of total shots, 53% accuracy

Shots 50+m:
Brown - 22% of total shots, 33% accuracy
Cameron - 34% of total shots, 36% accuracy
Casboult - 37% of total shots, 33% accuracy
Daniher - 46% of total shots, 18% accuracy
Hipwood - 40% of total shots, 41% accuracy
McInerney - 9% of total shots, 20% accuracy
McStay - 19% of total shots, 33% accuracy
Wright - 56% of total shots, 46% accuracy

I don't trust him as a contested mark over most of the other players on this list, but he kicks pretty well from distance. He has something to offer playing as a half-forward.

He is a saints supporter & a need for us. Would throw up Carlisle & a pick for him. Carlisle has 3 season's left, so would provide valuable experience & big body in their backline & to their list. And Carlisle no longer fits our age requirement. Well, maybe Gunston does.

Last edited:
Back