Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth stadium will be awesome, state of the art, but it's location is just a little bit too far out of the way to have the same right in the city feel AO has. It also may lack a little character which say Etihad suffers from although I doubt the West Australians will whinge about like a good proportion of Vic whinge about Etihad.
A pity they couldn't have relocated for a couple of years, and then torn down the present stadium at Subiaco and rebuilt an AO standard stadium there. I really like the Subiaco area.

.... this SPP s**t sounds awfully like the way our neighbours blather
Peter Piper then?
Saw him at the evening training session recently. Big, fit, mature-looking unit. For me he'll be one of the most interesting players to watch in the pre-season games.

Understandable when like most Western Australians he's never left the state :thumbsu:

If Bali is considered a state of WA now then this is scarily true for a decent portion of the population.

A pity they couldn't have relocated for a couple of years, and then torn down the present stadium at Subiaco and rebuilt an AO standard stadium there. I really like the Subiaco area.

Subi's still nice, but it has really been overtaken as a nightspot (not talking nightclubs, just more a night our for dinner, drinks etc) by a number of areas in that similar proximity from the CBD. Rental rates for shopkeepers is astronomical which has hurt what you would consider the culture of Rokeby Rd. Don't get me wrong there is still some excellent fine restaurants and pubs around but just in comparison it's fairly bland and sterile with a disproportionate price tag attached.

Main issue with the stadium is how tightly it already fits into the block. The back of the stand almost literally finishes on Roberts Road (as attached) with housing barely 10m away - no room for any expansion. Not to mention from what I gather from reading this board there is a very similar kind of attitude from local residents to those in North Adelaide who resent the proximity of the football/events and would inevitably cause issues. In a way it's kind of understandable as it is their home, but that would have significantly hindered any process of redevelopment.

I reckon Barnett made a good captains call with the location and think that like Adelaide it will do a lot for the city.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 3.03.32 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 3.03.32 pm.png
    293.4 KB · Views: 3
Plenty of reasons to leave. No point naming them all though.
I'm reminded of the words of Clive Robertson, who once told his viewers, "I lived in Perth for 14 years - I still wake up screaming." :)

I liked what I read about SPP before we drafted him, but I didnt think he would last, one of the WA sides would snap him up, so I didnt read a lot about him prior to the draft. I have enjoyed reading about him since we drafted him, his attitude, his interviews and the videos of him playing. I have liked reading about his attitude and his intent the most.

Now I don't know if I have missed it the few times I have visited his twitter account since we drafted him, but his header photo caught my eye tonight. How many 18 year olds drafted, let alone 18 year olds in general, have a couple of Rolls Royce in their twitter header photo?? That is a statement of intent right there!!

The big bodied midfield likes the look and ride of a big wide bodied smooth riding car, not some flash sports car. Both the sedan and coupe in the photo, so he covers the field of choice on the road - a bit like his inside and outside abilities cover his midfield options.

View attachment 322225
Boys will be boys

Agreed we certainly have no reason to leave.
1240614_892397387540788_5058029458296161794_n.jpg

Can't see Burswood ever having the atmosphere and charm of AO, but hey, at least you guys are still spending

I saw some shots of the outside of it during the cricket. Had absolutely no character. Let's hope inside is more appealing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Subi's still nice, but it has really been overtaken as a nightspot (not talking nightclubs, just more a night our for dinner, drinks etc) by a number of areas in that similar proximity from the CBD. Rental rates for shopkeepers is astronomical which has hurt what you would consider the culture of Rokeby Rd. Don't get me wrong there is still some excellent fine restaurants and pubs around but just in comparison it's fairly bland and sterile with a disproportionate price tag attached.

Main issue with the stadium is how tightly it already fits into the block. The back of the stand almost literally finishes on Roberts Road (as attached) with housing barely 10m away - no room for any expansion. Not to mention from what I gather from reading this board there is a very similar kind of attitude from local residents to those in North Adelaide who resent the proximity of the football/events and would inevitably cause issues. In a way it's kind of understandable as it is their home, but that would have significantly hindered any process of redevelopment.

I reckon Barnett made a good captains call with the location and think that like Adelaide it will do a lot for the city.

Subi has become more and more a residential area rather than an inner city hub - the Subi council have made sure of that. A nice inner city residential area, but not much more. The loss of the footy will only accelerate that. It is basically more similar to West Perth/East Perth now than it is to Leederville/Mount Lawley which have really taken over as the 'it' spots.

I saw some shots of the outside of it during the cricket. Had absolutely no character. Let's hope inside is more appealing.

Honestly, we're so used to small, old, decrepit stadiums here that anything state of the art will be appealing in itself.

Unless the team in your home state overlooks you and your name gets callled out by PA.
Yeah then you have no choice mate... Well you could do a sooky chad and say your not leaving but over here most players are more decent...

Yeah then you have no choice mate... Well you could do a sooky chad and say your not leaving but over here most players are more decent...
That is just urban legend pal. Good for you if you believe it!
Truth is it was his general disinterest in football outside of gameday, his preference for basketball, and his lack of drive and ambition. Scared off recruiters ... Except Port of course!:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back