Autopsy Pies go down to Hawks 101-67

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great summary and an excellent point re Howe
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the reason Darcy has been sent back is because they are committed to Mason Cox and so need to find him a role to justify said commitment.
Grundy has dibs on first ruck and Mason isn't mobile enough to play anywhere else but key forward so Darcy's been retrained as a back

the issue is Reid is cooked and cant play back anymore. therefore he has to go forward and given the 3 year deal with Cox (massive mistake) Moore has to go back.

I'll add I said almost a year ago Moore would be a superstar at CHB. that still stands.

the issue is Reid is cooked and cant play back anymore. therefore he has to go forward and given the 3 year deal with Cox (massive mistake) Moore has to go back.

I'll add I said almost a year ago Moore would be a superstar at CHB. that still stands.
We seem to delight in offering 3 year contracts to iffy players, though I don't recall any of us complaining at the time Cox got his. Mayne was a different story.

Infuriating! Watching us fumble around in their goal square, seemingly inches away from the line, and then ping! another Hawks goal.

The entire game was marked by massive indecision on our part... possible exceptions Steele and Sam... Maybe we are filling these guys heads with all sorts of complicated game plans and tactics that mentally they just can't process it.... I mean, cmon... they are just footballers aren't they ;)

The entire game was marked by massive indecision on our part... possible exceptions Steele and Sam... Maybe we are filling these guys heads with all sorts of complicated game plans and tactics that mentally they just can't process it.... I mean, cmon... they are just footballers aren't they ;)
Some of them certainly are

I stand corrected here, but I can’t recall a recent game in the last few years where we have been 3 to 5 goals down and we’ve come back to win.
We tend do the opposite in recent years, when we’ve built up a 3-5 goal lead over a long period of game time (3 quarters) we let teams erode that within10 minutes.
I would go next week BUT I have no one to come home with
im thinking of going live in crib point can give you a lift there and back if your interested.

Mitchell's BOG effort "overblown" explains Buckley
By SEN 35 minutes ago
GettyImages-937357622.jpg

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley has outlined how Tom Mitchell’s 54-disposal performance has been “overblown.”

Mitchell set an AFL record for most disposals in the win over the Magpies, but Buckley believes that wasn’t the defining factor in the contest.

“He was best on ground, let’s be clear, but it has been overblown about how significant his performance was in the result because there were so many things we were in control of that we didn’t get done, that didn’t get the result,” he told SEN’s Whateley.

“In the last quarter, Tom Mitchell had 17 touches but we went inside 50 19 times to 9.

“If you extrapolate that out, Tom Mitchell has 76 touches and we have 80 inside 50’s to 40. I would take that.

“Let’s not get caught up in how many touches a bloke gets.”

After Mitchell also had 50-plus touches in the same fixture last season, many have questioned Buckley’s decision not to tag the Hawks midfielder.

However, Collingwood’s coach says they did send players to man Mitchell at times, but the role wasn’t performed at an adequate level.

“We sent a player to him in the last 10 minutes of the second quarter and it didn’t happen and didn’t get done,” Buckley said.

“The diligence to perform that role wasn’t up to standard."

However, there was a moment where the Pies were able to nullify Mitchell's impact.

“We sent Steele Sidebottom to him in the third quarter and in the first 15 minutes, Steele had six touches and Mitchell had five of that third quarter," Buckley said.

By SEN 35 minutes ago

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley has outlined how Tom Mitchell’s 54-disposal performance has been “overblown.”

Mitchell set an AFL record for most disposals in the win over the Magpies, but Buckley believes that wasn’t the defining factor in the contest.

“He was best on ground, let’s be clear, but it has been overblown about how significant his performance was in the result because there were so many things we were in control of that we didn’t get done, that didn’t get the result,” he told SEN’s Whateley.

“In the last quarter, Tom Mitchell had 17 touches but we went inside 50 19 times to 9.

“If you extrapolate that out, Tom Mitchell has 76 touches and we have 80 inside 50’s to 40. I would take that.

After Mitchell also had 50-plus touches in the same fixture last season, many have questioned Buckley’s decision not to tag the Hawks midfielder.

However, Collingwood’s coach says they did send players to man Mitchell at times, but the role wasn’t performed at an adequate level.

“We sent a player to him in the last 10 minutes of the second quarter and it didn’t happen and didn’t get done,” Buckley said.

However, there was a moment where the Pies were able to nullify Mitchell's impact.

“We sent Steele Sidebottom to him in the third quarter and in the first 15 minutes, Steele had six touches and Mitchell had five of that third quarter," Buckley said.

agree in principle with what he's suggesting that there is too much carry on about the number of possessions players get, particularly in the media - as if quantity equals quality, but after that he puts it into reverse in justifying Sidebottom's role on Mitchell by saying he had more touches than Mitchell for that period of the game.

Make up your mind Nathan.

agree in principle with what he's suggesting that there is too much carry on about the number of possessions players get, particularly in the media - as if quantity equals quality, but after that he puts it into reverse in justifying Sidebottom's role on Mitchell by saying he had more touches than Mitchell for that period of the game.

Make up your mind Nathan.

I get your point but the stat below is telling IMO........sums up our s**t game.

"In the last quarter, Tom Mitchell had 17 touches but we went inside 50 19 times to 9."

World War II "overblown" explains Buckley
By SEN 35 minutes ago

Ruins_of_Berlin_Dom_Stadtschloss_Altes_Museum_1945.jpg

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley has outlined how the importance of World War II has been “overblown.”

Scholars have hailed the conflict as a defining point in civilisation, with subsequent analysis defining a figure of up to 100 million deaths directly attributable to the war. But Buckley believes that it isn't as important as it is cracked up to be.

“Look a lot of people died, let’s be clear, and there was the whole genocide thing, and whole cities destroyed and the nuclear bombs and the collapse of western civilisation as we knew it and...where was I...ahh yeah, but it has been overblown about how significant it was given a whole range of factors. ” he told SEN’s Whateley.

“For example, the Black Death killed an estimated one third of the whole European population, thats like, a shitload, if you extrapolate into today's numbers."

“And, like the Romans killed or enslaved every last Carthaginian, destroyed the city, removed every brick and salted the earth. Warsaw by comparison was like trying to find a park in Chadstone on Boxing Day."

“So Let's not get caught up in like the body count and general horror and existential nothingness. Existential nothingness is reserved for our forward entries.”

After previously saying World War I was "just a bit of a disagreement" some have come to question Buckley's grip on reality, context or logic.

However, the Collingwood coach says that while both World Wars certainly had their share of mayhem and killing, the intent was just not up to the really bloodthirsty, scientific application of destruction of all hope and goodness he is trying to instill in his team.

“I sent Taylor Adams to full forward” Buckley said.

“Genghis Khan has nothing on me"

However, there was a moment where the Pies were able to reach for a semblance of what their coach was striving for.

“I sent Mason Cox out there to embody the spirit of the French in WWII" Buckley said. "I felt he acquitted himself admirably in that regard. Typical American, turning up late to the party, but he sure brought maximum effort to the struggle and showed a few what genuine unadulterated shitness can look like in condensed form."

Quick comeback by Diesel just like his handballs.

'I kicked six as well': Record broken, but Diesel has bragging rights
By Peter Ryan
28 March 2018 — 11:31am

b1731ea4539d350ee037ae5ba8a22f025b223c58

Greg Williams in action for the Swans in 1989.

Photo: Fairfax Media
Greg Williams expected a call from Barry Mitchell, the father of Hawthorn star Tom, after the 24-year-old picked up 54 disposals against Collingwood on Saturday night to break by one Williams' 1989 record for the most disposals in a game.

And he wasn't disappointed.

"Barry rang me to gloat," Williams told The Age.

"Barry is a funny guy. He's rapt for his son as well, of course."

The senior Mitchell would have been well aware of "Diesel" Williams' 53-disposal game against St Kilda in 1989 - because he was his teammate in that game and picked up 34 touches himself.

However, he may not have been prepared for the quick return handball Diesel fired back over the phone.

I said to Barry, 'he's had 54, that is fine. I had 53 [disposals] 30 years ago and I kicked six as well'," Williams said.

"He didn't even kick a goal."

By the end of his career, six goals was still Williams' highest one-game tally, one more than the five the dual Brownlow medallist kicked on his way to winning the 1995 Norm Smith medal with Carlton.

Tom Mitchell would be sure to have a chuckle at the banter between old teammates that his performance flared.

Post-game on Saturday night he was unfussed by breaking the record and picking up 54 touches, becoming the first player to pick up 50 disposals or more in a game twice.

"It doesn't really mean a lot to be honest. I wasn't too aware of it until someone mentioned it after the game," Mitchell said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

brilliant, brilliant player was Diesel - would have loved him in black and white

great pity he has had post-game concussion problems

One of my favourite players Walter........always one step ahead of other players.

brilliant, brilliant player was Diesel - would have loved him in black and white

great pity he has had post-game concussion problems

Watched him lead a successful comeback against Carlton at Princes Park, might have been the year before he left the Swans. Incredible vision and a tough customer.

By SEN 35 minutes ago

This BS is why we are rubbish. Yes if we didn't make mistakles we would do better but the mistakes and things we "were in control of" are the way we play based on game plan and skill set. It's a week in week out, year on year. Hard tagging someone is actually much more within our control than eliminating mistakes or improving disposal. Take Mitchel's dominance out of the picture and maybe we win not withstanding the issues Buckley refers to. Meanwhile these issues will be there next week and for this season and if we don't stop a dominant oposition player we will lose again. Whether or not we improve in certain areas, we still have to stoop a Mitrchel getting 50+. The fact we beat Hawthorn after they had us toasted once is beside the point. That one game can't define anything more than the last 3 seasons do.

As I keep saying, no change in people means no change in results. everyone has too much vested interest and emotional attahcment to what we are doing and with whom.

It's not the first game its the 5th year and that's ignoring 2013 as clearly going off the rails. I'm not sure what you have seen in Buckley that indicates he would be a great footy manager. The reality is he is already a failed coach.
ahem.... cough cough....

Come on you can't pull people up on what they said about Buckley after the atrocity that was Round 1. We were all rats on the sinking ship.
Not all of us deserted the ship.

Come on you can't pull people up on what they said about Buckley after the atrocity that was Round 1. We were all rats on the sinking ship.
Not all thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back