Toast Pies smash the Crows (114-48)

Remove this Banner Ad

You know when the umpiring of a match was fundamentally broken when the team that won by 66 points got 9 free kicks to the oppositions 22.

If you're the one making all the play, kicking all the goals, posessing the ball the most, how do you give away more free kicks? It actually defies logic and is logistically impossible lol.
Actually, it doesn't. Richmond won a premiership being absolutely smashed in the free kick count week in week out.

The logic is that when you give away a free, that's okay, hold the play up, take your time getting off the ground, throwing the ball back etc. Every second counts towards setting up defensively, and then proceed to score from a turnover. Free kicks only matter when there's a 50m penalty applied, or it equates directly (not even indirectly because there's then fault on not spoiling) into a shot on goal. Statistics at the moment show, and no I can't prove this as I don't have access to them - heard them in a podcast that I forgot the name of, that teams that lose the free kick count have a greater chance of scoring. Which essentially means you're more likely to win.

In fact, at the end of round 9 I did some quick maths and found that of the 81 games played, more teams had won the match when they'd lost the free kick count. I don't expect that trend has changed since then.

Sorry if this comes across smart assed, just hoping to express some nerdiness around stats where possible. I hope we continue the manic pressure that resulted in so many free kicks given. If nothing else we'll create more turnovers, surely.

Actually, it doesn't. Richmond won a premiership being absolutely smashed in the free kick count week in week out.

The logic is that when you give away a free, that's okay, hold the play up, take your time getting off the ground, throwing the ball back etc. Every second counts towards setting up defensively, and then proceed to score from a turnover. Free kicks only matter when there's a 50m penalty applied, or it equates directly (not even indirectly because there's then fault on not spoiling) into a shot on goal. Statistics at the moment show, and no I can't prove this as I don't have access to them - heard them in a podcast that I forgot the name of, that teams that lose the free kick count have a greater chance of scoring. Which essentially means you're more likely to win.

In fact, at the end of round 9 I did some quick maths and found that of the 81 games played, more teams had won the match when they'd lost the free kick count. I don't expect that trend has changed since then.

Sorry if this comes across smart assed, just hoping to express some nerdiness around stats where possible. I hope we continue the manic pressure that resulted in so many free kicks given. If nothing else we'll create more turnovers, surely.
No disrespect Ricky but those tactics are largely behind the ugliness of modern footy.

It's a completely valid tactic.

But

It's ugly and drags the spectacle of the game way down.

No disrespect Ricky but those tactics are largely behind the ugliness of modern footy.

It's a completely valid tactic.

But

It's ugly and drags the spectacle of the game way down.
Agree completely.

And I could rant and rave for hours on effective ways to rectify this while keeping the game largely unchanged and not bringing any crazy new rules, but alas not the time or place.

Agree completely.

And I could rant and rave for hours on effective ways to rectify this while keeping the game largely unchanged and not bringing any crazy new rules, but alas not the time or place.
Total agreement - it just freaks me out that the AFL are publicly calling for more attractive play from all teams and yet bring in rules and tinker with interpretations to ensure just the opposite.

If the game out lasts its challengers from Europe it won't be the fault of the AFL commissioners and their lackeys.

I don't think so has been playing better since I changed. Don't want to jinx him.:)
So you where the reason for his poor form. Glad you changed it:D

Collingwood kept their aspirations of a top four spot alive with a commanding victory by 11 goals (66 points) over the Adelaide Crows, and won every quarter on offer.The Magpies held sway in the opening term with a slender lead at the first change after the Crows squandered every shot at goal they had on offer. The Woods gradually increased their lead in the second quarter, before putting the game to bed in the third term and extending their dominance over Adelaide in the last quarter to improve percentage. Collingwood were finally able to win the centre clearances with great authority, especially after half time, which enabled Collingwood's forwards greater access to the footy and opportunities that came with the territory. Accuracy on the scoreboard was the most pleasing aspect from the victory as the forwards converted the dominance from a midfield group that caught fire at the right time for the team's benefit.

Collingwood controlled nearly all of the key statistical categories. The Pies were +91 for disposals (436 - 345), won kicks by +60 (260 - 200), handballs were +31 (176 - 145), contested possessions were won by +9 (137 - 128) and +87 for uncontested possessions (306 - 219). Marks were +49 (144 - 95), uncontested marks were won by +47 (130 - 83), +2 for Contested Marks (14 - 12), while Marks Inside 50 were +11 (19 - 8). Tackles had a differential of +9 (48 - 39), while Tackles Inside 50 was +4 (10 - 6). Hit-outs were won by +13 (40 - 27), +1 for centre clearances (12 - 11), intercept possessions had a positive differential of +3 (73 - 70) and Inside 50's were +18 (57 - 39). Adelaide's only gains came from clearances by +3 (33 - 30) and stoppage clearances, which was +4 (22 - 18).

Scott Pendlebury (34 disposals @ 71%, 580 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 26 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 20 kicks, 14 handballs, 10 marks, 6 tackles, 2 goal assists,10 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50's) had his most polished game of the season, with his poise and composure to maintain possession, while creating scoring chains that were meaningful and potent.

Adam Treloar (27 disposals @ 74%, 302 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 14 handballs, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements, 5 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 6 Inside 50's) was able to use his pace to break the game open in the second half and got on the end of a few centre clearances that made the team look very dangerous.

Taylor Adams (24 disposals @ 79%, 277 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 13 handballs, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 11 score involvements, 7 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50's, 3 Rebound 50's & 2 goals) was a huge influence in the centre with his contested ball winning ability on display, as was his clearance work out of the middle. Enjoyed a few stints forward and ended up booting two excellent majors.

Chris Mayne (24 disposals @ 71%, 241 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 9 handballs, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 6 score involvements, 2 Inside 50's & 2 Rebound 50's) was impressive with his work ethic allowing him to become a marking option and was steady with his ball use.

Tom Phillips (21 disposals @ 71%, 478 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 16 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks, 7 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50's, 4 Rebound 50's & 2 goals) made most of his disposals count to the team's advantage and chimed in on the scoreboard to cap off a solid game.

Steele Sidebottom (21 disposals @ 86%, 206 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 10 handballs, 7 marks, 8 score involvements & 3 Inside 50's) spent most of the time in the forward line before being rotated into the midfield and showed his class with his foot skills.

Brodie Grundy (17 disposals @ 88%, 150 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 11 handballs, 35 hit-outs, 5 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 tackles, 12 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 centre clearances & 2 Inside 50's) started extremely slowly before exerting his influence in the second half, especially in the final quarter when he took command of the ruck contests.

Brayden Maynard (30 disposals @ 83%, 555 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 25 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 22 kicks, 8 handballs, 12 marks, 3 tackles, 7 score involvements, 5 Inside 50's, 6 Rebound 50's & 1 goal) provided damaging transition from defence, while running forward to become a lethal scoring threat or creator near the forward 50 arc.

Jack Crisp (29 disposals @ 76%, 388 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 25 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 13 handballs, 9 marks, 2 tackles, 7 score involvements & 3 Inside 50's) complimented and combined with Maynard beautifully with aggressive ball use and dash from half-back.

Jeremy Howe (23 disposals @ 91%, 305 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 5 handballs, 11 marks, 4 Contested Marks, 4 score involvements, 2 inside 50's & 4 Rebound 50's) displayed excellence in the air with his aerial exploits. Got his confidence back in emphatic fashion in the manner that he timed his marks and leap.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (20 disposals @ 55%, 360 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 6 handballs, 11 marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 8 score involvements, 3 Inside 50's & 2 goals) presented well at the ball carrier to take his marks and contributed to the team's success.

Jamie Elliott (19 disposals @ 74%, 219 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 16 kicks, 3 handballs, 10 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 5 Marks Inside 50, 2 goal assists, 12 score involvements, 2 Inside 50's & 5 goals) became the chief-destroyer in the third quarter to tear the game apart, before using his trick bag in the fourth term with a couple of excellent snaps from the pocket. Unequivocally the best forward for the Magpies as he looks to build on that performance leading into the finals series.

Collingwood's next game will be on August 23 against Essendon at the MCG. Last roll of the dice to get that all-important place in the top four. Nail the win, then put the pressure back on West Coast & Richmond to find a win off their own bat.

Collingwood kept their aspirations of a top four spot alive with a commanding victory by 11 goals (66 points) over the Adelaide Crows, and won every quarter on offer.The Magpies held sway in the opening term with a slender lead at the first change after the Crows squandered every shot at goal they had on offer. The Woods gradually increased their lead in the second quarter, before putting the game to bed in the third term and extending their dominance over Adelaide in the last quarter to improve percentage. Collingwood were finally able to win the centre clearances with great authority, especially after half time, which enabled Collingwood's forwards greater access to the footy and opportunities that came with the territory. Accuracy on the scoreboard was the most pleasing aspect from the victory as the forwards converted the dominance from a midfield group that caught fire at the right time for the team's benefit.

Collingwood controlled nearly all of the key statistical categories. The Pies were +91 for disposals (436 - 345), won kicks by +60 (260 - 200), handballs were +31 (176 - 145), contested possessions were won by +9 (137 - 128) and +87 for uncontested possessions (306 - 219). Marks were +49 (144 - 95), uncontested marks were won by +47 (130 - 83), +2 for Contested Marks (14 - 12), while Marks Inside 50 were +11 (19 - 8). Tackles had a differential of +9 (48 - 39), while Tackles Inside 50 was +4 (10 - 6). Hit-outs were won by +13 (40 - 27), +1 for centre clearances (12 - 11), intercept possessions had a positive differential of +3 (73 - 70) and Inside 50's were +18 (57 - 39). Adelaide's only gains came from clearances by +3 (33 - 30) and stoppage clearances, which was +4 (22 - 18).

Scott Pendlebury (34 disposals @ 71%, 580 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 26 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 20 kicks, 14 handballs, 10 marks, 6 tackles, 2 goal assists,10 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50's) had his most polished game of the season, with his poise and composure to maintain possession, while creating scoring chains that were meaningful and potent.

Adam Treloar (27 disposals @ 74%, 302 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 14 handballs, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements, 5 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 6 Inside 50's) was able to use his pace to break the game open in the second half and got on the end of a few centre clearances that made the team look very dangerous.

Taylor Adams (24 disposals @ 79%, 277 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 13 handballs, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 11 score involvements, 7 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50's, 3 Rebound 50's & 2 goals) was a huge influence in the centre with his contested ball winning ability on display, as was his clearance work out of the middle. Enjoyed a few stints forward and ended up booting two excellent majors.

Chris Mayne (24 disposals @ 71%, 241 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 9 handballs, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 6 score involvements, 2 Inside 50's & 2 Rebound 50's) was impressive with his work ethic allowing him to become a marking option and was steady with his ball use.

Tom Phillips (21 disposals @ 71%, 478 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 16 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks, 7 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50's, 4 Rebound 50's & 2 goals) made most of his disposals count to the team's advantage and chimed in on the scoreboard to cap off a solid game.

Steele Sidebottom (21 disposals @ 86%, 206 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 10 handballs, 7 marks, 8 score involvements & 3 Inside 50's) spent most of the time in the forward line before being rotated into the midfield and showed his class with his foot skills.

Brodie Grundy (17 disposals @ 88%, 150 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 11 handballs, 35 hit-outs, 5 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 tackles, 12 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 centre clearances & 2 Inside 50's) started extremely slowly before exerting his influence in the second half, especially in the final quarter when he took command of the ruck contests.

Brayden Maynard (30 disposals @ 83%, 555 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 25 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 22 kicks, 8 handballs, 12 marks, 3 tackles, 7 score involvements, 5 Inside 50's, 6 Rebound 50's & 1 goal) provided damaging transition from defence, while running forward to become a lethal scoring threat or creator near the forward 50 arc.

Jack Crisp (29 disposals @ 76%, 388 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 25 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 13 handballs, 9 marks, 2 tackles, 7 score involvements & 3 Inside 50's) complimented and combined with Maynard beautifully with aggressive ball use and dash from half-back.

Jeremy Howe (23 disposals @ 91%, 305 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 5 handballs, 11 marks, 4 Contested Marks, 4 score involvements, 2 inside 50's & 4 Rebound 50's) displayed excellence in the air with his aerial exploits. Got his confidence back in emphatic fashion in the manner that he timed his marks and leap.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (20 disposals @ 55%, 360 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 6 handballs, 11 marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 8 score involvements, 3 Inside 50's & 2 goals) presented well at the ball carrier to take his marks and contributed to the team's success.

Jamie Elliott (19 disposals @ 74%, 219 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 16 kicks, 3 handballs, 10 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 5 Marks Inside 50, 2 goal assists, 12 score involvements, 2 Inside 50's & 5 goals) became the chief-destroyer in the third quarter to tear the game apart, before using his trick bag in the fourth term with a couple of excellent snaps from the pocket. Unequivocally the best forward for the Magpies as he looks to build on that performance leading into the finals series.

Collingwood's next game will be on August 23 against Essendon at the MCG. Last roll of the dice to get that all-important place in the top four. Nail the win, then put the pressure back on West Coast & Richmond to find a win off their own bat.

Great work mate! True, it was really nice to see Billy fire.

I really fancy a QF up at the Gabba. I don’t think it holds any fears for us.

They'll be very tough to beat if they get a home final. Be more confident meeting them down here but that's unlikely to happen now unless we both make it through to the GF.

Ideal is that Richmond loses and we play up there. Brisbane are the most vulnerable of the top 4 at the moment and we'd school them.

Wouldn't want to go to West Coast or face Richmond.

I think the Cats are looking the shakiest of the current top 4 sides.

Nice percentage boost and confidence boost that one. The Crows were a real shambles, so we are not going to get it that easy in the next month. Still, nothing wrong with a few soft wins to get the momentum back...and getting Billy back in form is a huge win as well. Can't wait to see Stevo, De Goey and Elliott line up in the finals.

Also good to see our midfield win the contested and clearance battle. The Crows are a poor side, but they have some quality in the middle. Their midfielders have been getting stack of the ball, so seeing the Crouch boys and Sloane barely touch it was really positive.

Can't really fault one player from the weekend, so there are going to be some hard luck stories going forward. I thought even Noble, Wills and Magden (who I consider the bottom 3 right now), were all good. But surely they are the 3 that make way for De Goey, Stephenson and Moore.

Beyond that, I reckon guys like Wells, Aish and Sier may have to rely on injury to get their chance. I don't think we would make more changes than that heading into finals, particularly if we win next week and go in with 4 wins on the trot.

Ive noticed this too and I love the way that when traffic is blocked he doesn't mind literally stopping and turning and going back the other way to find a way around :)

That luxury to explore alternate routes might evaporate in the cauldron of finals footy but he's been improving every game.

Yeah, they're the other ones.

In terms of top 4 sides, I'd say the Bears have the best form, followed by the Tigas, Weagles and lastly Cats. They've lost 1 game at the Gabba (us in R5) and they've been improving solidly since then. And they've claimed some good scalps on the road.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree - giving away professional free kicks to slow down the opposition is becoming a defensive tactic.

I, for one, had a grand old Saturday.

Was in Adelaide for work, and managed to a) make everyone understand that it was necessary for me to go the football and b) have a mate give me his Crows membership so I could go and watch the game. They are legends.

So this was my first ever game at Adelaide and I love that ground. Stood on a grassy hill, the rustle of the trees above me, kids kicking footies around the place, picnic rugs on the ground and still close enough to hear the slap of leather on boot. The crowd were well behaved and even cordial in defeat - the one set of Crows fans next to me were enthusiastically discussing HOW difficult each goal we scored would make winning harder for them.

And they serve craft beer and delicious snacks. People make fun of Adelaide but it's a hell of a lot more civilised than, say, PERTH, and they do know how to enjoy themselves first and foremost.

9/10 matchday experience for me (if Jamie had kicked the 6 it would have broken the 10/10 barrier).

Bonus points for me and Brodie Grundy being the only 2 people in the Virgin Lounge on Sunday night, but I was too nice to go over and annoy him on his night off, so left happy just having been close enough to the greatness.

Loved our onball set up.

Rupert and Tay inside allowing our 2 guns in AT and Pendles to get to work outside. Sidey must play half forward for the rest of the season.

Add Moore this week followed by Jordy and Stevo and no team will be going with us in September.

It's all about peaking at the right time and we are ******* coming, hard.

In terms of top 4 sides, I'd say the Bears have the best form, followed by the Tigas, Weagles and lastly Cats. They've lost 1 game at the Gabba (us in R5) and they've been improving solidly since then. And they've claimed some good scalps on the road.

Yeah, yeah but they lost to Carlton after being 30 points up.🤪

Yeah, yeah but they lost to Carlton after being 30 points up.🤪

Yep, young side, they're entitled to their ups and downs, it's part of the learning curve. Came out the following week and smashed the Saints at the same venue. Haven't lost since that R12 Carlton game.

They’ve hardly played anyone though. Last week and this week are the first time they’ve tasted too 4 since us?

I wonder if the recent articles about Collingwood getting more free’s than any other team had some influence? Maybe it’s just a coincidence...
Do you people seriously think that God has the time and inclination to pick on Collingwood. Or the umpires conspire to cheat certain players. Clearly the more likely scenario is that there are just certain people that perceive injustices at the drop of the hat and are natural blubberers and sooks. To normal mature adults it is plain embarrassing seeing grown men crying that everyone is picking on them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back