Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He’s on verge of outlasting 2 PM’s - 1 more opinion poll before the magical 30.
I dont think it will make a difference with Turnbull.

Abbott was horrendous, i mean he literally knighted the Queens Husband.

Edit. Hang on. Didnt he lose an election to Turnbull?

Wouldn’t put it past Abbott and friends to attempt a knifing at 30. Doubt he’ll have the numbers but the damage will be done.
If Abbott and mates attempt a knifing, and Turnbull survives, I don't see how that makes him any weaker.

We know they're all lurking in the shadows. If they step out and get smacked down, Turnbull will be in a stronger position.

Only because the Labor Party brought in a new rule whereby it's virtually impossible to sack their leader supported by Shorten of course. The rank and file ALP members wanted Albanese and voted accordingly but were overruled by the Parliamentary members. Shorten's all that's keeping a totally inept Turnbull in the game.

29 straight Newspoll wins would suggest otherwise

Only because the Labor Party brought in a new rule whereby it's virtually impossible to sack their leader supported by Shorten of course. The rank and file ALP members wanted Albanese and voted accordingly but were overruled by the Parliamentary members. Shorten's all that's keeping a totally inept Turnbull in the game.
Which part of Turnbull’s government is inept?

Yes, he should praise Malinauskas and Snelling for building a hospital at a million dollars a day, delivered late, that doesn't comply with standards

I don’t expect him to sing praises but I would like him to actually talk about what he’s going to do about it.

Standing around bitching ain’t going to fix the problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So anyone in the Eastern states highlight why Shorten seems to have any pulling power?

He seems like Abbott mk 2 (opposite spectrum i understand) ? I can't quite understand why people would vote for him.
Shorten is bland and untrustworthy. Abbott was vicious in the way he attacked those least able to help themselves. I can't see Shorten doing that.

29 straight Newspoll wins would suggest otherwise
Shorten is disliked (at best) by the Australian public. He's lacking in both charisma and integrity. That gives voters a reason not to support Labor, no matter how much they dislike the Turnbull government.

If Labor replaced Shorten with someone who actually has charisma & integrity, then they would remove the last remaining obstacle preventing a large number of voters from supporting them.

Even with Shorten's lack of popularity acting as a sheet anchor, they're still leading by 53-47 according to today's Newspoll. Replace him with Albanese, and there's a strong possibility that they could rise to 55% or more. At 55-45 (and I believe 57-43 would be achievable under Albanese), the Coalition would be facing annihilation at the 2019 Federal Election.

Dennis Hood abandoning the Australian Conservatives to join the Liberals following on from Lucy Giuchi.

Disaster for Cory Bernardi and hopefully the end of the Australian Conservatives.
When is Bernardi up for election?

As a double dissolution, the 2016 Federal Election was a full Senate election. Barring another double dissolution, the 2019 Federal Election should be a half-Senate election. After the 2016 election, the Senators decided for themselves who would be up for re-election in 2019 and who was fortunate enough to win themselves 6 years before they faced the voters again.

Bernardi was still a member of the Liberal party at the time of the decision. Can anyone remember on which side of the line he landed? Will we see the end of him in 2019, or are we stuck with him until 2022?

When is Bernardi up for election?

As a double dissolution, the 2016 Federal Election was a full Senate election. Barring another double dissolution, the 2019 Federal Election should be a half-Senate election. After the 2016 election, the Senators decided for themselves who would be up for re-election in 2019 and who was fortunate enough to win themselves 6 years before they faced the voters again.

Bernardi was still a member of the Liberal party at the time of the decision. Can anyone remember on which side of the line he landed? Will we see the end of him in 2019, or are we stuck with him until 2022?

Six years.

Looked after himself then defected shortly after that.

The leader, Kelly O'Dwyer [totally and comprehensively inept], Michaela Cash, Scott Morrison, Marise Payne, Arthur Sinodinis and Christopher Pyne who are behind most of the division in the Liberal Party over the last 5 or 6 years.
Easier to ask which members of the Turnbull government are actually competent. Julie Bishop is almost the only one I can think of.

Dennis Hood abandoning the Australian Conservatives to join the Liberals following on from Lucy Giuchi.

Disaster for Cory Bernardi and hopefully the end of the Australian Conservatives.
It seems to me that the Aust Conservatives - or at least, the claims that they would be a force - were always based on a false premise.

1. Malcolm Turnbull is doing worse than Tony Abbott (OK arguably the same, or no better).
- The opinion polls show the Coalition lead has been negated since the last election.
2. Turnbull is less conservative than Abbott.
3. Therefore, conservative voters are deserting the Libs in droves (or would, if there was a viable alternative), and a new Conservative party will pick up many votes.

The first question you would need to ask is - is this decline in Coalition support, and the rise of the ALP in the polls, due to conservative voters defecting to the ALP? :think:

People may come up with many good reasons why Turnbull is failing in the polls, but IMO "not conservative enough" is not one of them.

It seems to me that the Aust Conservatives - or at least, the claims that they would be a force - were always based on a false premise.

1. Malcolm Turnbull is doing worse than Tony Abbott (OK arguably the same, or no better).
- The opinion polls show the Coalition lead has been negated since the last election.
2. Turnbull is less conservative than Abbott.
3. Therefore, conservative voters are deserting the Libs in droves (or would, if there was a viable alternative), and a new Conservative party will pick up many votes.

The first question you would need to ask is - is this decline in Coalition support, and the rise of the ALP in the polls, due to conservative voters defecting to the ALP? :think:

People may come up with many good reasons why Turnbull is failing in the polls, but IMO "not conservative enough" is not one of them.

The notion that Australia is an inherently socially conservative country is in my view fundamentally flawed.

Australia is generally socially progressive.

The Bolt's etc. who claim to speak for the silent majority are in fact just a very loud small minority.

The leader, Kelly O'Dwyer [totally and comprehensively inept], Michaela Cash, Scott Morrison, Marise Payne, Arthur Sinodinis and Christopher Pyne who are behind most of the division in the Liberal Party over the last 5 or 6 years.
Yes but what government results aren’t you happy with? Which part of the economy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back