Opinion POLL - Do we need a new captain?

Do we need a new captain?

• No - keep Cotchin

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Yes - I want Rance

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Yes - I want Deledio

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Yes - I want Riewoldt

Votes: 36 39.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Muz Tiger

Debutant
Jul 6, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
This is along the same lines as do we need a new coach. Since the club is doing a review it's time to also review the captaincy. Hawthorn did it when they replaced Mitchell with Hodge which has been a huge success.

Personally, I have been very disappointed in Cotchin's captaincy. Since he was made captain he's gone from being a classy Rolls Royce to a busted up Kia type of player.

Cotchin was a star in 2012 but now he plays like a plodder with the weight of the world on his shoulders. He also doesn't seem to be inspirational or hard enough to be a captain. So is it time for a new captain?

• So should we replace Cotchin as captain with either Rance, Deledio or Riewoldt?

My pick is Rance.

Poll open

Last edited:
Lids or Jack. I'd say Jack.
Cotch was the wrong move..! The players probably voted him cause he's a nice bloke but that's not what captains are made of. Cotch can be the perfect ambassador but not a leader.

Jack will never change.Still has those moments where its all about him and not so leadership qualities as shown in the last qtr against the cats.
Wouldn't give it to Rance even though he deserves it the most.Look what happened to our best player when he took over.Hero to captain Zero.
Lids nahhhhhhh like the rest goes missing when the pressure is on.
Give it to someone who is expendable.T Hunt.

Honest opinion: No. Trent was chosen by our club, sure he isn't the best captain in the AFL but he has stood out in a couple of games when needed. It needs to stay as one captain and not create a feud inside the club by replacing a captain and keeping the same captain.

On the other note: Players like Lids, Jack, Tross don't need the pressure

Honest opinion: No. Trent was chosen by our club, sure he isn't the best captain in the AFL but he has stood out in a couple of games when needed. It needs to stay as one captain and not create a feud inside the club by replacing a captain and keeping the same captain.

On the other note: Players like Lids, Jack, Tross don't need the pressure
Give it to jack and get rid of Dimwit I mean hardwick.

Jack would be a great captain, would feed off it and become an even better player

Cotchin is a terrible captain, needs to be stripped of the captaincy as he would just become a better player without the captain thing hanging over his head

also he's too quiet and nice. blokes like cotch shouldn't be captain

Give it to jack and get rid of Dimwit I mean hardwick.
New coach might have different opinions for captaincy eg. Adelaide 2014, but we still have the same coach at the moment and he will choose cotch everyday of the year.

Edit: Would trent be a better captain with a bit of (c u next tues) in him?

Why don't u have an opinion?? That's just a pathetic cop out

Players pick the capt and the leadership group

That's how its done these days

I don't see what the capt does outside 3 hrs w week, so I'm happy to rely on the judgement of those who work with him constantly

Players pick the capt and the leadership group

That's how its done these days

I don't see what the capt does outside 3 hrs w week, so I'm happy to rely on the judgement of those who work with him constantly

It's the 3 hrs a week that matters the most...! It's time for a change, players pick the best bloke but its not a popularity contest..! we need a leader perhaps the FD or even the CEO should have some input in picking the leader...

Lids or Jack. I'd say Jack.
Cotch was the wrong move..! The players probably voted him cause he's a nice bloke but that's not what captains are made of. Cotch can be the perfect ambassador but not a leader.
No offence but what do you think the players think of eachother?
AFL is a professional enviroment with professional athletes. Its not high school.
The voted Cotchin in as captain because they think he is the best leader.

close thread imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why on earth would we give it to Rance?

Sure he is a general, but he doesn't need that added pressure. Let him do what he does best, lead the defence and play good footy.

I'd pick Riewoldt. I think with the leadership he'd lift a notch.

No offence but what do you think the players think of eachother?
AFL is a professional enviroment with professional athletes. Its not high school.
The voted Cotchin in as captain because they think he is the best leader.

close thread imo.

It has worked out really well over the years..captain cotch..! Time for change

Yes he has worked well.
Yes he could of played better in the bigger games but how would you or I know what happens inside the club?

Now you're sounding like Dimma.! I don't care what happens inside the club but I can't stand what I see on the field almost every week...!
You must be happy with everything, I'm not.!

Now you're sounding like Dimma.! I don't care what happens inside the club but I can't stand what I see on the field almost every week...!
You must be happy with everything, I'm not.!
No Im not happy with everything but Cotchin is the right man.
Rance wouldnt want it.
Deledio is too old
Reiwoldt is the only other option but would cop more heat from the media than Cotchin does.
Vlaustin is still too young and hasnt preformed well enough yet.
Cotchin deserves another 2 years IMO

New coach might have different opinions for captaincy eg. Adelaide 2014, but we still have the same coach at the moment and he will choose cotch everyday of the year.

Edit: Would trent be a better captain with a bit of (c u next tues) in him?

I think so, but it isn't in his nature.
An example that comes to mind is the game when he physically confronted Hodge and Mitchell before the bounce (2015 I think?, definitely not this season) and played with a sustained aggression all game was great, but out of character. Incidentally we won it too. Players know what he is and that's a fair and hard at the ball player, certainly not an intimidator. I remember Hodge commenting on Sevens AFL Game Day the morning after it, that it was a massive surprise to see Cotch take it up to them like that. He even commented to Cotch, something along the lines from memory of "and who are you, what's this, where's this guy been all along?". He then heaped praise on Cotch's individual game and said the challenge was now for him to bring it like that all the time.
Imagine for a minute if that little s**t stain Treloar tried to belittle Hodge or Selwood like he did Cotch with the infamous head scrubbing after The round 2 match. I think they would have willingly and even enjoyed copping a week or two to drop him and put the little turd back in his box, that is if indeed he would have had the disrespect to try it to either of them in the first place. Cotch just took it. Was that his, or even our sides, line in the sand moment this season and he/we missed it?

I like Cotch and think he is a good player but would be a far better if again released from the pressures of the captaincy.

Jack would be my choice but as long as the leadership group is peer voted and the captain selected from that group, then it's a moot point.

:rolleyes: Excepting of course a new coach coming in and shaking things up.

I didnt want Cotch as captain in the first place, but now that he is I dont think it would be good for the club to change it now.
Unless its to add multiple players and make them combined captains, to 'help' Cotch...
I dont think we have a natural captain at our club, Jack is too emotional, Rance a follower, Dusty lol, maybe Lids is the one but it would upset the apple cart too much to replace Cotch now imo.

Back