Training Pre-Season Training, News & Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, to play Devil's Advocate, perhaps we have gone in below the cap this year knowing we can "bank" (if we were also under the previous year) to spend over in 2017.

The rule states that ...clubs who have spent under 100 per cent of the cap in the past two seasons [can] spend up to a maximum of five per cent over it in 2016.

I assume that is an on-going thing.

It isn't clear from the article I read that you have to be a certain percentage below the cap, it just stated "under 100 per cent". I gather from the "up to a maximum" that there are certain guidelines to follow otherwise I can see some clubs deliberately orchestrating to pay less a couple of years running leading into a bumper FA year to make a play for top line free agents or as a way to ensure they have additional cash to match offers for their own talent to stop them leaving for greener pastures.

But from the outside looking in, I'm having trouble seeing where the tonne of cap space is.

Time will tell I guess.
I'd assume you'd still have to satisfy the salary cap floor of 95%.

2016 the TPP is $10,368,980 (Schedule B, item 1: http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/2015-2016 CBA FINAL.pdf)

So that would mean you can underspend by $518,449. Thus could then overspend next year by a maximum of that amount.

Well how much would Lonergan, Enright and Bartel be on. You'd think a combined million wouldn't be far fetched. May even be a tad higher. Does open up the possibility to bring someone in should they all go.

I'm getting tired of discussing it.
SJ wouldn't be in Sydney if we had cash.

We all don't know who we front or back loaded.
But playing with 38 has to be a significant pointer as to where we're at.

Huh? Not talking about this season. Of course we'd be near max cap this year.

Just asking a question about a substantial amount of cap space about to open up.

SJ. Maybe you should listen to the club Podcast. Certainly gives credence to the idea it was attitudinal. That's now Troy Selwood and Hocking that have hinted as such.

Huh? Not talking about this season. Of course we'd be near max cap this year.

Just asking a question about a substantial amount of cap space about to open up.

SJ. Maybe you should listen to the club Podcast. Certainly gives credence to the idea it was attitudinal. That's now Troy Selwood and Hocking that have hinted as such.
With all due respect, I'm not listening to a podcast from a few guys off big footy.

And you have no idea if cap space is opening up.
What if danger is getting 500k this year and 1.6mil next year?

Jimmy Bartel says that Blitz has hardly slowed down on the running front but that he has added 10-12 kgs in size and can still blow everyone away in the runs…

Freaky…

Go Catters

I can remember Blitz commenting though that he was not doing the time he was previously , so proportionally he is still running the best but not as good as he was ..

I can remember Blitz commenting though that he was not doing the time he was previously , so proportionally he is still running the best but not as good as he was ..

I think it's a case of Blicavs losing 5-10 seconds putting him well off elite Olympians but still 30-40 seconds ahead of anybody else in the AFL. For 3km time trial.

I remember his saying in 2014 iirc that he felt the adjustment to AFL had seen him lose 30% of his running ability.

I remember his saying in 2014 iirc that he felt the adjustment to AFL had seen him lose 30% of his running ability.

He's got to be plucking that figure out without thinking.

Olympic qualifying for 3000km steeple chase is 8'30" and I dare say that's about his best time. 30% more is an 11+ minute 3km time trial and there are a few AFL players running 9'30". The combine record is 9'15" and I dare say he's still better than any teenager at the combine by a margin.

Sorry, missed the word club.
That said if you can get me Troy Selwood for the podcast I would certainly be open to it

Also you SHOULD listen to the Bigfooty one... was better than the club one this week in my (heavily heavily biased) opinion

He's got to be plucking that figure out without thinking.

Olympic qualifying for 3000km steeple chase is 8'30" and I dare say that's about his best time. 30% more is an 11+ minute 3km time trial and there are a few AFL players running 9'30". The combine record is 9'15" and I dare say he's still better than any teenager at the combine by a margin.

Yeah , his best on the flat for 3km is 8:17.....he's probably blown out to 8:50ish the slacker , needs to have a good hard look at himself:p

I don't disagree with what you're saying and we will have this year to make judgements.

I guess what I was skirting around by asking who you'd have as best 22 or deserving of a spot round 1 is that you've advocated in the past for all of them to not be here because of their injuries. Had you got your way our line up for Hawthorn could be considerably weaker. So maybe the club does have an idea of what they're doing, the proof in the pudding will be in the eating.

I wouldn't worry about skirting around anything. There's more than enough insinuation around here.

You're correct, I'm far from convinced about the durability of any of them, and I'm not convinced about the plain ability of some as well (particularly Cowan and McCarthy). Time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't worry about skirting around anything. There's more than enough insinuation around here.

You're correct, I'm far from convinced about the durability of any of them, and I'm not convinced about the plain ability of some as well (particularly Cowan and McCarthy). Time will tell.
Geez Partridge, McCarthy's ability is palpable. Durability another matter.

Absolutely. I'm not entirely convinced three pre-season games defines the quality of the player. Good that he showed (much) more, he's still got to do it in the season proper.
Of course. Personally, I've seen enough to know the talent is there.

Prior to this pre-season it wasn't. Pretty sure I wasn't the only with doubts about him.

There were quite a few who did see potential.
The main knock was his inability to hit the scoreboard.

This preseason he has shown again he can find enough of the footy and this time he kicked a few goals. The tasty extra is the sticky fingers and big leap for a short bloke.

Still lots to do but his potential to be a good AFL player is apparent IMO.

38 is just as much that we didnt rate that draft as it means we can have 2 extra players on 1 year deals giving more options to cut more if this year is a better draft.

But i agree we dont have heaps of cap space (unless we get retirements).

I must confess I had doubts about McCarthy, and expressed them some where. I'm sure Bobby could find it,,,:cool:

There were just a couple of things that made me more confident about him...a very strong mark in front of his eyes under real pressure...strong consistent tackling..and he kicked some goals which was a major gripe about him...

So now we enter the real stuff, and he deserves a run...I think he can be very dangerous and provide good forward pressure...time will tell but I'm on his bandwagon now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back